Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry if this has been asked before, looked through a few pages but couldn't get through all of them..
What's the consensus on light gray suits, thinking of a pant suit as I have a skirt suit and I need a second one for a two day interview. Thanks!

How light? Light grey is too casual. A darker grey or charcoal would be appropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The pants are too tight, see the way they are pulling at the crotch, combined with the way the fabric is gathering into ridges on the sides of your hips? You definitely want a more skimming-the-body look, as opposed to a hugging-the-body look. If you go with the pants, I would recommend sizing up. I think the skirt looks good, but see how these things feel when you sit too. I wish I remembered how my interview skirt looked from the side, I too have an hourglass shape and that was a struggle for me as well. I can tell you that I did end up choosing a size that I considered to not be my usual fit, it was slightly loose in the waist and just skimmed my hips. My personal preference would normally be for it to be tight to the waist and to hug the hips more, but that is definitely not interview appropriate. With the shirt tucked in and the jacket buttoned, it's not like my true waist was visible at any point anyway.

If you can't find the right fit and HAVE to choose between tight/sexy vs frumpy, go frumpy. Then have a tailor take it in just a wee bit, if you have time and $. Obviously the ideal would be a golden mean between frumpy and sexy -- hard to find off the rack. Just my $0.02. As always, go with adcom opinion over mine.

Thank you for the advice! I guess I will further investigate the larger, frumpier pants and see about taking them in a tad. And, if anyone else has more advice on looking professional in a skirt as a lady with curves, I would love to hear! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the best timing for a baby bump. Other than having a plan for handling any unfortunately timed vomiting (NVP in the 2nd trimester... awesome) and q's on parenthood + school... How far can I bend the rules?

Is anyone going to raise an eyebrow if I'm unable to button a blazer? I don't mind buying and tailoring maternity clothes, but finding maternity blazers that even remotely fit has been a challenge.

Also hoping this means I can mix and match colors/fabrics a bit. I have a skirt I like (http://www.pinkblushmaternity.com/p-21050-black-fitted-maternity-pencil-skirt.aspx) but none of my blacks match... so I'm thinking something simple like https://www.isabellaoliver.com/us/s...rk/ivybridge-maternity-dress-caviar-black.htm with a blazer similar to http://shop.nordstrom.com/o/theory-blazer-top-pants/4354570 ?

I bought a navy sheath dress from an Ann Taylor outlet that looks somewhat like the picture below:

What do you guys think I should wear for the suit jacket? I'm thinking a navy pinstripe, like the one attached.

Opinions?

Attachments

• dress.jpeg
    dress.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 120
  • jacket.jpeg
    jacket.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 117
I bought a navy sheath dress from an Ann Taylor outlet that looks somewhat like the picture below:

What do you guys think I should wear for the suit jacket? I'm thinking a navy pinstripe, like the one attached.

Opinions?

The general consensus was that the material and color of the suit jacket has to match exactly to the material and color of the dress.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the suggestion!! I'm not sure they match my complexion so I'm not very comfortable ordering them online without seeing them in person. Are black hose totally out of the question for interviews?

Thanks for the suggestion!! I'm not sure they match my complexion so I'm not very comfortable ordering them online without seeing them in person. Are black hose totally out of the question for interviews?
Try Nordstrom, they offer free shipping even on inexpensive orders and free returns too. They are really good about it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are these the right color to go with a navy suit? http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-heels/kendra-gaby-aubergine-leather/p/26118848
Please correct me if I'm wrong (I want to be wrong haha), but it seems like the heel might be a little too high and the patent strap might be distracting.

The general consensus was that navy suits go with either black or cordovan shoes

Those fall on the cordovan spectrum to my eyes. If their color is true to that photo, I would say the company was wrong in calling that "aubergine".

I am less sure about the Mary Jane styling, listen to an adcom over me, but I think that a pump might be better suited for this occasion.

Clarks that are in the pump style:

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-heels/chorus-chic-black-leather/p/26119529

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens-collections/womens-artisan/tempt-appeal-black-leather/p/26062332

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-heels/kendra-sienna-black-leather/p/26118842

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-wide-fit-heels/heavenly-star-black-leather/p/26121422

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-wide-fit-heels/heavenly-heart-black-leather/p/26121420

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-wide-fit-heels/brenna-maple-black-leather/p/26121328

Hmm yea it looked brown to me. If I was @hapa, I would go to a store and take a look first to be sure. But all of your suggestions here looks great!

@PHgeek123 @ifnotnowwren Thanks for your feedback! I feel like cordovan an elusive goal color at this point :rolleyes:
I will definitely take the advice to shop in person and to go with a pump

@PHgeek123 @ifnotnowwren Thanks for your feedback! I feel like cordovan an elusive goal color at this point :rolleyes:
I will definitely take the advice to shop in person and to go with a pump

Check out this pair in "burgundy". Color is so subjective, I noticed there were far more hits for "burgundy pump" than "cordovan pump", and the spectrums definitely overlapped. However, there is a lot "red" being called "burgundy", so be careful.

Edit: I can't seem to link to the amazon page, but they are called Bella Vita Women's Define Dress Pump . So go to amazon, search that, and click the burgundy option, they should look like :

womens-bella-vita-define-pointy-pump-burgundy-leather

Check out this pair in "burgundy". Color is so subjective, I noticed there were far more hits for "burgundy pump" than "cordovan pump", and the spectrums definitely overlapped. However, there is a lot "red" being called "burgundy", so be careful.

Edit: I can't seem to link to the amazon page, but they are called Bella Vita Women's Define Dress Pump .

Oh yes, very helpful. Thank you!

Posting again - hoping to get a response...Will this shoe and bag go with Navy Pant Suit (with white shell top)?bag.jpg shoes.jpg

Oh yes, very helpful. Thank you!

I actually ordered those. They're nice, simple, kind of plain. I returned them bc I ordered the wrong size. They're perfectly acceptable for a navy suit though.

I think the bag is fine but I am getting a "too casual" vibe from the shoe. That is in part due to the color and in part due to the stacked wood heel.
Thank u! Should I go with black shoe and a black bag with Navy suit - would that be a better choice?

For anyone looking for the elusive cordovan pumps, I found these the other day. :)

http://www.naturalizer.com/mobile/productdetail.aspx?p=EC0220554
http://www.hushpuppies.com/US/en/gail/21962W.html?dwvar_21962W_color=HSS1199-601

I tried on the naturalizer (in black) and it was the most comfortable heel I've ever worn (and i had ankle surgery last year, so I wasnt even sure Id be able to wear heels). Ive heard from others that the hushpuppies are comfy too.

Reactions: 4 users
Could use some advice... I have an interview coming up in a couple of weeks. I already have a black suit and nice button up shirt to wear underneath that both fit me well. I do not consider myself very feminine and almost always resort to men's shoes (I'm also very tall with big feet so men's shoes fit me better anyways). I've always worn black oxfords with my suit, and was planning to do that for my interview, but after looking at this thread I'm freaking myself out a little bit. I know I'd be more comfortable in the oxfords since that's what I usually wear, but is this too non traditional?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If wearing heels would make you so uncomfortable that you perform poorly on your interview...along a similar vein, I've always wondered what LGBTQ interviewees do for these situations too. Being forced to conform to standards of femininity may be the reality...hmm, I don't know how to weigh your options here. Wait for gyngyn or DokterMom.

Well, in a nutshell, your options are to conform to gender norms and wear women's shoes (low-heel oxford style is fine with a pants suit, slightly more feminine pump-style with a skirt suit) Heels are great if you can -- a very tall woman in heels exudes confidence and looks FABULOUS! And "If you can" is both a 'can you walk in them' and 'can you wear them with personal integrity' thing --

Your other option is to NOT conform to gender norms and make that and your LBBTQ identity an 'OK to talk about' part of your presentation. If that's a statement you need to make to be true to yourself, then own it. If you go this route though, you should probably have some LBBTQ ECs and should certainly be OK talking about the subject. Either it's "on the table" or "in the closet"...

Are you able to find something a little more "structured" for bag? That looks too soft IMO. Try Target. I saw a bunch that's simple, cheap and look professional enough for the event. I vote no for the shoes.
shoes.jpg bag.jpg Thanks for the feedback! Will this combination work - Navy pant suit with white shell top, black shoe and black bag?

Well, in a nutshell, your options are to conform to gender norms and wear women's shoes (low-heel oxford style is fine with a pants suit, slightly more feminine pump-style with a skirt suit) Heels are great if you can -- a very tall woman in heels exudes confidence and looks FABULOUS! And "If you can" is both a 'can you walk in them' and 'can you wear them with personal integrity' thing --

Your other option is to NOT conform to gender norms and make that and your LBBTQ identity an 'OK to talk about' part of your presentation. If that's a statement you need to make to be true to yourself, then own it. If you go this route though, you should probably have some LBBTQ ECs and should certainly be OK talking about the subject. Either it's "on the table" or "in the closet"...

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, do you think that my choice to wear more masculine shoes will lead to the expectation that I will discuss my identifying as lgbtq? I will be wearing a women's suit and shirt from Ann Taylor, I have long hair, etc. so I won't be in all men's attire. I wasn't planning on discussing it during interviews, nor do I have any lgbtq ECs. I checked "yes" on the secondaries for the schools that asked specifically, but other than that I did not include it as a part of who I am as a medical school applicant.

View attachment 208613 View attachment 208614 Thanks for the feedback! Will this combination work - Navy pant suit with white shell top, black shoe and black bag?

Sorry, those shoes are too casual for the event. I know doktermom recommend thicker heels and I agree, it can be difficult to find one though without spending so much money.

I bought this pair for my interview from Nordstrom for $90 and the bag from H&M for $40. But maybe get it in black, which they do have.

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 12.56.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 12.56.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 12.52.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 12.52.43 PM.png

There is zero urgency to my question, just idle curiosity. This thread is addictive!...I noticed that some school interviews and residency interviews state a "business casual" dress code. Biz caj is so darn hard to define. :shrug: Would pleated wool/crepe trousers + untucked long sleeved cashmere sweater + casual pumps (suede or patent or snakeskin, etc) suffice? I imagine a statement necklace would be OK? People, indulge me, I'm bored and trapped at home with an infant...

Edited for spelling

That sounds like a lovely [very upscale] look for "business casual". Of course, NOT for your interview.

Does anyone have any necklace ideas? I ordered a single pearl on a gold chain and it just got here. I opened it and hated it!

Try a thicker gold chain. Not thick enough to be called "chunky", but any thickness below that you like.

So I have a navy skirt suit and beige heels to go with it.
1. Are beige shoes ok to wear as I figured black won't go with navy and it's hard to find navy shoes.
2. Are pantyhose a must? My pre-health advisor said that it's absolutely not required, but I saw some conflicting option.

Pantyhose ARE a must. You will see some young women without, but know that they are ill-advised.

If, hypothetically, this suit were to end up super on-sale (let me dream...), would it be acceptable? I bought a navy skirt suit, but I love this purple color. fwiw, I'm at least 6 inches shorter than the model, so length shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.reiss.com/us/p/textured-pencil-skirt-womens-camila-in-grape/?category_id=1129

Gorgeous suit! And if you truly are 6" - 9" shorter than the model and it's not too short on you, I'd give it a thumbs up. The color is dark enough that it doesn't read "Purple!" but rather more of a deep wine. You'd need the right cordovan shoes and bag and confidence to pull it off though.

Also - THIS is the kind of look not everyone can carry off. If your stats are below average and you don't have confidence to spare, play it safe. If you've got high confidence, a strong sense of personal style, and either high stats or great ECs, this outfit can make you stand out in a positive way.

does cuffing your blazer sleeves look unprofessional? It looks so stylish...

UNprofessional!

Yeah, makeup does make a difference. If anyone is considering trying out makeup for the first time at your interview...practice first. And get some objective opinions on how it looks first. Makeup application takes practice. Makeup that would look appropriate in an interview setting arguably takes more practice because you have to know your face and features well enough to enhance them and you have to utilize restraint. Plus when doing "natural makeup" you have to navigate the color, wear and the formula of foundation/powder/blush/eyebrow product/concealer/mascara/eye liner...pretty much everything. Your interview day is not the time to find out that you have oily eyelids and the mascara and eyeliner you chose gave you raccoon eyes two hours into wear. If you don't have an objective party to say yay or nay, you may want to consider anonymously posting to a forum like this and saying you need help with a conservative interview look.

So true! Don't experiment interview day. And Don't rely on the salesperson at the make-up counter as your guide for what is professional. Some make-up is necessary for almost everyone, if for no other reason than to show you understand the seriousness of the occasion, norms of dress, etc. If you don't need much, don't wear much.

I have the best timing for a baby bump. Other than having a plan for handling any unfortunately timed vomiting (NVP in the 2nd trimester... awesome) and q's on parenthood + school... How far can I bend the rules?

Is anyone going to raise an eyebrow if I'm unable to button a blazer? I don't mind buying and tailoring maternity clothes, but finding maternity blazers that even remotely fit has been a challenge.

Also hoping this means I can mix and match colors/fabrics a bit. I have a skirt I like (http://www.pinkblushmaternity.com/p-21050-black-fitted-maternity-pencil-skirt.aspx) but none of my blacks match... so I'm thinking something simple like https://www.isabellaoliver.com/us/s...rk/ivybridge-maternity-dress-caviar-black.htm with a blazer similar to http://shop.nordstrom.com/o/theory-blazer-top-pants/4354570 ?

How pregnant will you be? The more pregnant, the more leeway... Not buttoning a blazer is a non-issue. A simple maternity dress and jacket suit might be your safest bet -- shop pre-owned for great quality at an affordable price. That maternity dress you posted is a winner.

You might also try a line of [non-maternity] knitwear called Misook. It's geared toward affluent older women, but many of the pieces are classics and the quality is fabulous - and shows. They have some simple sheath dresses and many, many jackets/structured sweater jackets so you'd have mix and match options and all of their "black" is an exact match for all of their black. Very expensive retail, but a lively ebay resale market. Head over to Neiman Marcus / Nordstrom's / Dillards / Saks and try on a few pieces for sizing (They run very 'generous' so a 'medium' dress might take a small person through an average pregnancy.

Opinions?

No! Never wear a pinstripe jacket with anything other than it's matching skirt/pant. The dress is great though, if you can find the matching jacket.

For anyone looking for the elusive cordovan pumps, I found these the other day. :)

http://www.naturalizer.com/mobile/productdetail.aspx?p=EC0220554
http://www.hushpuppies.com/US/en/gail/21962W.html?dwvar_21962W_color=HSS1199-601

I tried on the naturalizer (in black) and it was the most comfortable heel I've ever worn (and i had ankle surgery last year, so I wasnt even sure Id be able to wear heels). Ive heard from others that the hushpuppies are comfy too.

:clap::bow:

You've found the Holy Grail! Comfortable, nice-looking cordovan pumps.

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, do you think that my choice to wear more masculine shoes will lead to the expectation that I will discuss my identifying as lgbtq? I will be wearing a women's suit and shirt from Ann Taylor, I have long hair, etc. so I won't be in all men's attire. I wasn't planning on discussing it during interviews, nor do I have any lgbtq ECs. I checked "yes" on the secondaries for the schools that asked specifically, but other than that I did not include it as a part of who I am as a medical school applicant.

Skirt suit or pants? If pants, your shoes will probably not be noticed. For a skirted suit, I wouldn't recommend those shoes

I have a matching black skirt and a blazer. I have a sort of silky beige shirt with pink daisies on it that would go underneath. How does this sound? I am very large chested, which makes solid color shirts (and most shirts other than turtle necks) look odd on me and most shirts hang really low. This one fits very well.

Also, I have had bilateral foot surgery and heels are an absolute no go for me of any kind because the shape of my foot will not form to a heel (totally weird and creepy I know). I need to wear flats, and I'm just not sure the kind.. I have two pairs of black flats with a very small, super tiny heel. One pair has bows on the ends by the toes (they're black bows).

I have a matching black skirt and a blazer. I have a sort of silky beige shirt with pink daisies on it that would go underneath. How does this sound? I am very large chested, which makes solid color shirts (and most shirts other than turtle necks) look odd on me and most shirts hang really low. This one fits very well.

Also, I have had bilateral foot surgery and heels are an absolute no go for me of any kind because the shape of my foot will not form to a heel (totally weird and creepy I know). I need to wear flats, and I'm just not sure the kind.. I have two pairs of black flats with a very small, super tiny heel. One pair has bows on the ends by the toes (they're black bows).
Pink daisies are not business professional.
A solid shell in any color would be preferable. The neckline should not go lower than 2 cm. below the clavicle.

Thanks @gyngyn. So this bag will not go with with Navy pant suit, white shell top and black shoes? Pls confirm. Slightly confused.

Totes are inherently less formal. Not a dealbreaker, but certainly not ideal.
A messenger-type bag would accomplish the mission without looking informal.

I'm concerned. If you need to wear flats for 'bad feet' reasons, I'd suggest you wear a pants suit. It'll look better and your flats will blend in and seem intentional rather than sticking out in a "bad fashion or bad feet?" way. Particularly since you say you're busty, a skirt suit with flats could easily tend to make you look dowdy -- unless you're super-slim everywhere else, in which case -- well, I really can't picture it. The 'pink daisies' also sound pretty girlish - though perhaps it's just the description.

I personally got those shoes and thought they were very professional and neat with my skirt suit, not casual. @gyngyn @DokterMom what do you think?

Agree with GygGyn -- On the border of too casual but hard to tell without seeing them in person. The quality of leather goes a long way in either direction.

I like the jacket -- particularly with the matching dress and/or pencil skirt. Be careful on the fit though -- that model is SOOO tall and skinny that it's hard to tell what it would look like on a person with more typical proportions.

I'm in the store now trying it on and it definitely fits me differently. It looks shorter on me, oddly enough.

On that note, where on the body should the jacket hit? Below the bum? On the bum?

one last question before my interview next week:

so after everyone's advice, I decided on a black dress suit that looks something like this:

_12709747.jpg

I thought of adding a little color to the all-black ensemble with a necklace. I found a couple examples of what I'd like to wear on forever21, and I wanted your advice on which one would be the best fit. If you have any alternative suggestions, I would appreciate them as well!

00236266-01.jpg
A
00203238-01.jpg
B
00199272-01.jpg
C
00201936-01.jpg
D
A necklace (if worn) should be a frame for the face and not draw attention downward.
All of these draw the eye downward.
The suit looks great!

thank you for your input! in that case, should I go with something with a smaller chain like the ones below? I don't want to wear anything too heavy, so I'm thinking of something flat and lightweight. As long as they're not too shiny, would any of these options pass?

00198071-01.jpg
A
00196902-01.jpg
B
00236116-01.jpg
C
B is good, C is ok, A is pointing downward...
All of these larger, face framing styles are better choices, though!