Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you all for your replies! The guidance really helps.
I have seen some suits that have a light jacket and dark pants, which is why I thought a dark jacket and grey pants could be okay. Am I correct in understanding (based on these responses) that I need to find something that is the same color on top and bottom?
The components of a suit are made of exactly the same material. A suit is required for business professional events. A dark color is preferred (navy or charcoal). The button should also the dark resin (not metal).

A blazer is a jacket that does not match the trouser. It often has gold (or other metal) buttons. This would be fine for business casual, but not for a medical school interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
The components of a suit are made of exactly the same material. A suit is required for business professional events. A dark color is preferred (navy or charcoal). The button should also the dark resin (not metal).

A blazer is a jacket that does not match the trouser. It often has gold (or other metal) buttons. This would be fine for business casual, but not for a medical school interview.
Thank you so much for the explanation!

Reactions: 1 user
Just realized most of my advice in this thread applies to residency interviews!

That's fine - the point of the med school interview is to present yourself as a good candidate for a future physician.

The goal isn't to be "stylish" "trendy" "fashionable" blah blah blah. I'm not saying be ugly - but be "classic."

Be *professional.* Be *conservative.* It's a conservative profession. Some interviewers are as old as your grandparents, but not nearly as open-minded. Remember that.

If later as a resident you want to push the boundaries in all the ridiculous ways I've seen, that's up to you. It's always embarrassing to have either school or program or hospital admin have to basically tell you you're a dressing code violation or actually send you home to change, or to have patients say they can't take you seriously, and everyone leaves little nasty notes in the suggestion box about you, and when you think about it, what you're wearing is more appropriate for streetwalking then straddling someone for code compressions. The feelz get hurt.

At the medical school and residency interview stage, it can cost you your entire career.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
while Crayola is correct that and Oxford or cotton button front blouse is more classic, most of us feel that it is a bit rigid and too conventional. In addition many women cannot wear the less forgiving fabric in a button front.

A more drapey blouse fabric such as this is perfectly appropriate and a touch of color is nice. The tab roll up sleeves to make it more casual but this would not be noticed if you let the sleeves down and did not take your jacket off.

I think you are right.

However, as a busty woman, I would say that you can wear an Oxford or cotton button front blouse, my tips are to find the right cut (which is a challenge, I had to go to 5+ stores to find my collection of work Oxfords) and wear an appropriately colored camisole underneath for button-gapping (although you are looking for cuts to minimize this).

Reactions: 1 users
I think you are right.

However, as a busty woman, I would say that you can wear an Oxford or cotton button front blouse, my tips are to find the right cut (which is a challenge, I had to go to 5+ stores to find my collection of work Oxfords) and wear an appropriately colored camisole underneath for button-gapping (although you are looking for cuts to minimize this).
it's definitely true that you can wear a button front blouse but sometimes it requires going up in size and then tailoring elsewhere.

For young women in an interview situation worrying about whether it's gaping might be too much stress which is why I almost never recommend a button front blouse.

as a busty woman myself, I also tend to wear cami under my button front blouse and just leave them intentionally open a little bit so I'm not worrying about gaping.

Just to jump in on the "philopophy of dressing formal" conversation higher up in this thread, I have to say I agree with gyngyn on this. I've been exposed to a lot of formal attire concepts socially and professionally in a variety of conservative fields. It in not, contrary to the opinion here, entirely wrong to wear something that isn't a black/navy skirtsuit with a blush colored shell HOWEVER it is really easy to mess up wearing other things.

Patterned blouses are fine as long as the pattern is small and very professional and not made of contrasting colors HOWEVER what I've seen posted here hasn't been appropriate. Likewise, as a women, it is acceptable in even more conservative areas of law to wear a very nice dress and jacket that aren't the exact same material HOWEVER the example of the mismatched pantsuit in the last page isn't tonally appropriate for a medical interview. Something like a very formal cream dress with black edging, topped with a formal black jacket might work, but again it's just too easy to mess it up if you aren't surrounded every day by women wearing business professional. Even very very subtle glenplaid suits in a medium gray can work (check out mary orton's blog, memorandum, for good examples) HOWEVER if you say "plaid is fine" someone will read that and turn up in something garish.

I can see where people think the advice in this thread is conservative, but that's because it's better to be safe than sorry. If you're a snappy dresser who has worked for Bain or a malpractice law firm in your gap years, then you can probably ignore some of this thread. But for anyone else, I would have to agree that a matched skirt suit or non-slim trousers with pumps and a solid shell is the right way to go.

Reactions: 3 users
what do you think about a dark green suit

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 6.20.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 6.20.37 PM.png
    772.6 KB · Views: 220
so much wrong with it in my humble opinion.... I'll let the more fashionable and higher placed ladies of SDN chime in

Honestly, I think a dark hunter green suit in a traditional cut would be really nice. Ive seen dark purple/plum ones on here that looked very professional and were met with great approval and I don't see why green would be different. That particular suit though is more green-green than hunter green and I expect also far too much of a "fashion cut" to really look professional on the interview trail.

it wasn't the color, more how short the pant legs were cut, the way the jacket cuffs were folded, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be professional to wear just the dress as it has no sleeves?

Last edited:
no, as I understand it, you must have sleeves or something that covers your arms

this is typically in every hospital dress code I have ever seen, although admittedly that's not interview guidelines per se

others can chime in

I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question, but are these shoes okay? I wasn't sure about the open heel part. It's not the most conservative shoe, but it was the only shoe at the mall near me that was comfortable with the right heel height, black colored, closed toe, with a supportive structure (like the ankle strap). I apparently have a weird shaped foot compared to industry standards so no heels ever fit right unless they have a strap to help the shoe stay on LOL

Louise et Cie Kota Ankle Strap Pump (Women) | Nordstrom

anyone here wear a scarf? never know whether I should tuck it in to the blazer/wear one that is gray or black/ let it sit on top of the blazer. I'm assuming a turban would be unprofessional.

I have what's probably considered a dumb question to most...

What would be considered a professional hairstyle for long hair? As silly as it seems, I have no idea what to do with my hair for interviews. I wasn't raised in a situation where professional hairstyles were a topic of concern, so it just isn't something I know how to deal with!

I know it's rather early to be worrying about this, but as I am terrible at doing my own hair, I figure I should probably start practicing a few professional hairstyles to learn how to do them!

What would be considered a professional hairstyle for long hair? As silly as it seems, I have no idea what to do with my hair for interviews. I wasn't raised in a situation where professional hairstyles were a topic of concern, so it just isn't something I know how to deal with!

I know it's rather early to be worrying about this, but as I am terrible at doing my own hair, I figure I should probably start practicing a few professional hairstyles to learn how to do them!

So I think a lot of people will probably say some kind of bun/chignon, and this was what I was planning on doing personally. However, my family pointed out that my hair is my best feature (true, lol) and suggested I wear it down for my interviews. So I did this, despite the angsty comments from the older people (read senior citizens) in my life. My hair is more or less straight, so I would just straighten it a bit more before the interview to get rid of frizz, and I looked clean and put together. I'm sure it wasn't just my hair that got me in, but I felt confident, looked good, and got into all but one of the schools I interviewed at (and waitlisted at the other).

TL;DR Do what makes you feel confident, but make sure you look put together. If your hair looks like a bird's nest when it's down, then don't do that.

Last edited:

I saw lots of different hairstyles on the interview trail this year. What's best will probably depend on what your hair is like and your comfort level styling it. If you're not comfortable doing fancy styles, definitely don't try a new one the day of an interview. I think the key things to think about in whatever style you choose is to keep it a) neat, b) out of your face, c) comfortable and d) durable, since you'll need it to stay put through the whole interview day.

Personally I wore my long hair a few different ways: in a low neat bun, low ponytail, french braid, mostly down with the front pinned pack on either side... I didn't feel out of place with any of them. I definitely worried a lot about hair in my first few interviews but as long as you put a little effort into it you should be okay!

just don't show up like this:
657c9696-52cd-4435-b491-60b14d145141.jpg

Hi ladies! I'm looking to buy a suit from Ann Taylor and can't decide between two ideas. One is just a classic black pencil skirt and jacket set, while the other is a a dove gray dress suit. I love the way the dress suit looks and I'd feel more confident in it, but I don't know if it will be perceived as unprofessional since it is a pretty pale gray. Can you let me know what you think?
431751_6031_ALT2
459129_6031_ALT2

I don't think it's unprofessional but remember, you may need to interview in the dark of January. I personally don't wear this light of a grey in the winter because it's too summery. If all your interviews are in LA, Texas or Florida, it might be ok in January. But if you can only buy one suit, you may want a black or charcoal grey suit for versatility.

Thanks for the feedback, precisiongraphic! I decided not to get this dress because it was a cotton blend material, which I don't think is considered business professional. I may still go for something this color though because I actually am a Florida applicant, and all but one of the schools I'm applying to are in FL, GA, or AL. Plus I have a yellow undertone to my skin that looks truly awful with charcoal grey haha

Thanks for the feedback, precisiongraphic! I decided not to get this dress because it was a cotton blend material, which I don't think is considered business professional. I may still go for something this color though because I actually am a Florida applicant, and all but one of the schools I'm applying to are in FL, GA, or AL. Plus I have a yellow undertone to my skin that looks truly awful with charcoal grey haha
Sounds good. Cotton would be less formal. What you'd probably want is a gabardine or crepe or polyester suiting material, all of which may wrinkle less and look more professional. I love suit dresses (jacket plus matching dress) for interviews.

I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question, but are these shoes okay? I wasn't sure about the open heel part. It's not the most conservative shoe, but it was the only shoe at the mall near me that was comfortable with the right heel height, black colored, closed toe, with a supportive structure (like the ankle strap). I apparently have a weird shaped foot compared to industry standards so no heels ever fit right unless they have a strap to help the shoe stay on LOL

Typically, open-toed and open-heeled shoes are not considered business professional. I would stick with shoes that are closed on both ends just to be on the safe side.

Even very very subtle glenplaid suits in a medium gray can work (check out mary orton's blog, memorandum, for good examples)

Glad to see I'm not the only one on here that follows Mary Orton. I know exactly which glen plaid suit you are talking about!

And I agree, even if you are a snappy dresser, you can't go wrong with a classic, well-tailored suit.

Is a tan shirt underneath a black suit conservative enough?

I bought this shirt to wear underneath a black pantsuit:
upload_2018-7-10_21-50-13.png

But unfortunately in real life, it looks much more light tan than light pink. More like the color of the following shirt:
upload_2018-7-10_21-53-33.png

For reference, my skin tone is about the same as the first model. Is this too tan/nude for a professional setting?

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-10_21-51-6.png
    upload_2018-7-10_21-51-6.png
    626.4 KB · Views: 79

I bought this shirt to wear underneath a black pantsuit: View attachment 236938

But unfortunately in real life, it looks much more light tan than light pink. More like the color of the following shirt: View attachment 236940

For reference, my skin tone is about the same as the first model. Is this too tan/nude for a professional setting?
It can give the nude effect you mention. While this is especially unhelpful in a photo, it can also be distracting in an interview.

I bought this shirt to wear underneath a black pantsuit: View attachment 236938

But unfortunately in real life, it looks much more light tan than light pink. More like the color of the following shirt: View attachment 236940

As gyngyn stated, that shirt is probably not the best option. If you need to get a new dress shirt, I would recommend checking out a store like Ann Taylor. Their sales and clearance rack often has a huge collection of shells/dress shirts that work well with suits and come in a large variety of colors. You can easily pick up a very nice top for under $30. Last month, I even got a dress shirt for $7.

Hi! Is someone able to provide input on whether shoes like these with a women's pantsuit are interview-appropriate? Trying to find options that are not heels or ballet flats. Thanks!

Attachments

• loafers.png
    loafers.png
    251.3 KB · Views: 112
Hi! Is someone able to provide input on whether shoes like these with a women's pantsuit are interview-appropriate? Trying to find options that are not heels or ballet flats. Thanks!
I love loafers with pantsuits. They are very classic and traditional but in fashion at the moment. I think that these are as good an option as ballet flats - or better.

I bought a pair just like these (they cost less than Everlane’s) in a cognac tan leather. I’m thinking that they’d be fine as they are essentially dressier flats?

Yes definitely - I wore similar loafers. Definitely think loafers are better than ballet flats - a little more formal/traditional, plus to me way more comfortable.

Do we think the "genteel rose" or "dusty rose" colors of this blouse are too bright? I tend to look good in autumnal colors, but could also go for the paper white color with the dark navy suit set I have purchased.

7th Avenue - Bow-Accent Twist-Front Blouse - New York & Company

I like those colors! from what I can tell, definitely not too bright. I'm a big fan of adding a bit of color with blouses, within reason. For what it's worth I wore a bright red blouse to my interview at the school I now attend...

The colors are fine. The plunging V neckline is questionable.

Got it. In the first color, the bow is up high for coverage, but I'm just going to play it safe and find something else! Thanks everyone!

Hey guys! I see there was discussion of wearing loafers a few posts above, but based on other women's interview clothing threads it seemed like there was a consensus that heels are most appropriate. Is that generally true? I'm 5'11 and would prefer not to tower over my interviewers if possible, so I've been looking at 1-2" closed-toe, closed-back block heels. Have any other taller women had success finding lower heels?

Hey guys! I see there was discussion of wearing loafers a few posts above, but based on other women's interview clothing threads it seemed like there was a consensus that heels are most appropriate. Is that generally true? I'm 5'11 and would prefer not to tower over my interviewers if possible, so I've been looking at 1-2" closed-toe, closed-back block heels. Have any other taller women had success finding lower heels?
Pumps with a 1-2" heel are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not a fan of high heels for interviews, if it looks like you could lose the jacket and then go to the club with your blouse and heels and jewelry and make up, then you need to figure out where you're going wrong.

As far as being tall, I understand the discomfort there, but you're going to have to pull deep within in yourself to be confident and stand tall anyway. It's something I've grappled with (I'm not as tall, but just saying I understand self-consciousness).

OTOH, I don't disagree with anyone that pumps with a short heel are *most* appropriate. However, I think there are flat shoes that are fine, if not ideal. Not everything can be ideal. I haven't seen the loafers being discussed so I reserve judgement there.

I say this because I have medical issues that make even a 1-2" heel impossible. Granted the shoes I end up wearing for interviews have a thick sole that still raises me 1-2" but still flat.

I think @gyngyn 's advice best because I think actual "heels" as I've seen then worn these days by many looks like something that belongs in a night club and it makes me a little ill. I know a little heel is best. That said, I think it's better to err on the side of shorter than taller. I think it's up to you where in the flat to short heel you go, basically I think 1-2" > flat > high heels.

My comfort level puts me in the middle. You have to decide where your comfort level puts you.

Next week I start doing some MMI ratings so I'll let you guys know what I see as trends being worn, and my personal opinion of them. Which may not represent the common wisdom but 2 cents are 2 more cents than before.

Some thoughts from my recent interview:

Out of 16-ish women, only one was not wearing a matching suit. Pant suits were most popular, followed by skirt suits. Only one person was in a dress suit. They did not stand out at all for being the only person to do so. Black and navy were quite popular, with a couple of grey suits tossed in the mix. I saw a few blouses that, while cute, were a bit too low cut for the nature of the day. I did notice that many of the women in skirt suits had issues with the skirt constantly twisting around and spent a lot of time worrying about it. Most women with long hair wore it completely down and either curled or straightened, a few had their hair partially up, and only a couple had their hair up completely (ponytail, bun, etc). Most women wore flats. A few wore pencil heels and seemed to regret it at the end of the day, as they were wobbling quite a bit! It was about 50/50 in terms of wearing pantyhose with a skirt suit. Most wore makeup, a few did not (although I would argue that they did not look out of place).

Reactions: 5 users
My apologies if this has already been discussed, but what are everyone's thoughts on wearing a blazer with pants that are not perfectly the same color/material? I have an existing blazer and pair of dress pants that are both black in color and not extremely different with regard to the exact shade/pattern, but you can definitely tell they are not a matching suit set if you really pay attention. Thanks in advance!

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but what are everyone's thoughts on wearing a blazer with pants that are not perfectly the same color/material? I have an existing blazer and pair of dress pants that are both black in color and not extremely different with regard to the exact shade/pattern, but you can definitely tell they are not a matching suit set if you really pay attention. Thanks in advance!

Do not wear two black separates that are not matching unless you absolutely cannot afford a real suit. Getting a suit at discount or a consignment shop would be better.

Is this too much print? My suit is a navy pant suit.

This is a silk material and would be tucked into the pants.

m21186554288_1.jpg

I think it’s a little busy, but also I’m not sure the black will pair well with your navy suit (unless the colors in this photo are off).

What appears black in this photo is actually navy. The other flowers (wine and ivory) are the same colors in the photo as they are in real life.

I was so excited I got a really good deal on it at Goodwill and thought it would look nice with the suit. But, you're right. It is too busy. I just wanted another person's opinion because I didn't think the print was too crazy at first but wasn't sure.

Thanks! :)

It is a great find, but maybe not for interviews.