Women's Interview Clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeproots

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all! I just got my first interview (gahhh!), and I'm trying to dig up information on interview attire. The last thread I found was ~3 years old, so I figured I'd start a new one. How do y'all feel about women's interview clothing, especially:

1. Pant suits versus skirt suits? I'm more comfortable in pants but I'm interviewing in Texas in August. Super hot.

2. Suit color? AAMC recommends sticking with navy, brown, charcoal, and gray. I tend towards all black everything--would this be too severe?

3. Hair? Any other ladies with long hair and absolutely no styling skills? I'm thinking a straight, clean ponytail, but I'm not sure if that's too informal. Plus, I'm also worried about wearing a ponytail in August heat.

4. Shoes? I've always heard that heels are musts for interviews, but some resources I've browsed say to avoid heels because you'll be "clicking" all over the place. I know we can bring flats, but I've also heard to avoid bringing bulky purses with you.

5. Purses/messenger bags? Related to #4. Some resources I've read said that a bulky bag can be distracting.

6. Jewelry? Some resources I've perused say to omit jewelry. Others say to wear understated pieces, like a classy watch, small earrings, and wedding band if you're married. Thoughts?

7. Makeup? Lots of sources say to not wear makeup. I have to disagree here--I think NOT wearing makeup can look a bit sloppy. Plus, as a frequent wearer of makeup (I know, my speech is so eloquent), I would be super uncomfortable without any. However, I also think wearing too much can be tacky. I'm planning on going for very simple, clean makeup. Thoughts?

8. Best places to buy all this crap? I'm going to need professional help on this area--it's definitely not a comfort zone for me. I usually go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor, but there isn't a lot of employee help in these stores (in my experiences). I've also heard that Marshalls/TJ Maxx has some good suits, but same goes with the lack of employee help. I'm going to need more guidance.

Thanks, and good luck to all as interview season begins!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good questions -- and I'd agree that after 3 years, it's time for a fresh post. Though I don't think the old one was necessarily out of date as 'fashion' and 'interview attire' don't go hand-in hand. And I'd respectfully request 'clever' posters to abstain to keep this thread useful.

1. Pant suits versus skirt suits and dress suits?
  • Either are fine. In either case, the bottom half should be 'not too snug' in the hips, tush or thighs and of the appropriate length. For skirts, this means somewhere either slightly below to very-slightly above the knee, but not very much in either direction. (Be sure to check skirt length when sitting.) For pants, not dragging the ground or forcing you into shoes you're uncomfortable with, but also not ankle-length. No one should notice the length of your skirt/pants.
  • Dresses and jackets are also good, if conservative. A dress-suit (matching set) can be an absolutely fabulous look that also hides figure flaws and/or draws attention away from 'too fabulous' (hourglass) figures without looking dowdy.
  • If your jacket and skirt/pants are the same color (they don't absolutely have to be), they should be the same fabric. A 'near miss' is NOT what you want. Pulling off a non-matching jacket and pant/skirt/dress can be done if you're fashion-savvy, but is not generally the best choice as it's almost always too casual. A matched suit is a better choice. If you absolutely need to go with a not-same-fabric jacket, pairing it with a simple sheath dress is generally a more professional look than with a skirt or pants (too casual).
  • As your guide, look at female politicians: Elizabeth Warren, Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin (when she was running for VP, not now), Nancy Pelosi, Carly Fiorino. Do not use political wives (too feminine), or TV show lawyers or anchor women (too sexy).
  • Coats - If it's winter in a cold climate, you'll need a nice coat. The most classic is a black or camel color in a wool-like (wool/cashmere/camel/alpaca) fiber that hits somewhere below the knee. A trench coat (with or w/o liner) is also perfectly acceptable. Ski jackets, puffers and faux fur are not professional. If you live in Florida and are interviewing in Boston, you can get some leeway (make a little joke about the weather); if you live in Boston, there are no excuses.
2. Suit color?
  • A dark solid color or subtle woven pattern - so no pastels, no neon, no floral. Plaids or stripes may be OK if they're quiet and conservative, but wouldn't be my first choice. For a woman, you've got much more color leeway than guys do, so black is fine -- it's not necessarily formal the way it is with guys.
  • And the relative formality/casualness of a suit can be impacted greatly by a blouse, shell or shirt also. Silk or starched cotton are probably the most traditional, but are not the only good choices. Many synthetic fabrics function beautifully in blouses and shells.
  • No cleavage! No peep holes, And no visible bra straps.
  • If your blouse/shirt has front buttons, make sure they don't gap or pull at the bustline!
  • Bold patterns, animal prints and florals are generally wrong for an interview shirt or blouse, as are ruffles, lace and sheer areas. Pastels and jewel tones are fine for blouses. Bright colors can sometimes work, but there is such a thing as too bright.
  • If you are drawn to 'bling' and 'embellishments' in your attire, shop with a friend who will stop you from indulging here. Pin-tucks and pleats are OK; rhinestones, studs, sequins and beading are not appropriate.
3. Hair?
  • Something simple and no-fuss. You want to look like you won't have to adjust your hair in the middle of the day, so a ponytail or bun is fine as is a part-up. Long curly hair should be restrained somewhat, and your eyes should be clearly visible. Short to medium styles that stay put may not require any special handling.
  • Hair colors not found in nature would be a mistake, as would hair colors not natural to someone of your race.
  • Up? Down? or In-between? All can work. If you opt for up, something in between the super-tight "librarian bun" and the trendy "messy bun" is where you want to be. Something tidy and pulled together. Half-up, with the top and front pulled back is generally both safe and appropriate .
4. Shoes?
  • Sexy stilettos and high platforms are inappropriate for all women.
  • Flats are OK if they're not too casual and you're either tall or are wearing pants. Most (almost all) flats are way too casual.
  • The safest shoe is a medium heel closed-toe pump in a dark or neutral color. Don't go all the way to 'granny shoes'.
  • Make sure you can walk comfortably in the shoes you choose. If you can't walk in heels currently, it's time to learn. Practice if needed...
  • Boots are not appropriate; but dressy ankle boots with a pantsuit in [cold] winter are probably OK.
  • If you're tall and can wear heels, do! You'll project confidence. Flats can make you look like you're trying to hide your height -- own your altitude!
  • If you're short, know that flats risk making you appear childish, so wear medium heels if you can.
  • Flats with professional skirts are almost never a good look.
  • If you have a foot injury that would prevent you from wearing heels, a medical ankle boot can help you get away with a flat shoe on the other foot.
5. Purses/messenger bags?
  • If you don't normally carry a bag, don't feel you have to carry one now.
  • Something plain and streamlined with minimal decorative hardware and no ruffles or bling in a dark or neutral color.
  • Popular designer logos may suggest you're a spoiled 'material girl' with entitlement issues - even if the bags are fake. Subtle logos (Kate Spade) are fine; it's the BIG flashy ones (some Coach, LV) that are problematic.
  • Canvas totes are perfectly acceptable, so don't spend a lot for a bag you may not use much.
  • Backpacks say you're a college student, not a grown up.
  • Don't bring something so large it could double as a beach bag. It's untidy and suggests either that you're high-maintenance or have trouble prioritizing (she needs all that for a four-hour day?)
6. Jewelry?
  • Simple, classic jewelry is fine but not necessary: Gold, pearls, wedding and/or engagement rings.
  • Avoid jewelry that is overly large, showy, fashionable, casual or girlish. The one exception to the 'showy' rule could be an interesting brooch on an otherwise plain suit, especially if it has a back-story.
  • Necklaces should not draw the eye to your bustline. (Many do)
  • Earrings come in pairs. Wear two and only two.
  • You do not need a watch, but if you wear one, it should be simple in styling and dressy.
  • Silver is OK if it's better for your skin tone, but use the 'Would this particular piece look good in gold?' test to make sure it's not too casual. Many (most?) silver pieces are just too casual.
7. Makeup?
  • A little bit of makeup makes you look grown up and fully dressed. Zero makeup can make you look too young or under-dressed; however too much makeup is much worse.
  • Keep the foundation, eye shadow, eyeliner and mascara subtle. If you don't normally wear foundation, now is not the time to try it.
  • If you look like you could go out clubbing or had your makeup 'done' by a cosmetologist, it's too much. Again, look to female politicians.
8. Best places to shop?
  • If you really know what you're doing, you can find less expensive pieces and put together a great look at TJ Maxx or Steinmart. If you don't, go to Nordstrom's, Talbot's, Ann Taylor or Brooks Brothers and pay a little more for help. Banana Republic and J. Crew can also be good sources but have some 'misses' along with their 'hits'.
  • Mid-tier department stores like Macy's can be hit or miss. Many will try to sell you something 'current' or 'in fashion' or 'stylish'. Never forget that this is not your objective.
  • If you have the time but not the money, hit eBay and upscale consignment stores. Look for top brands in suits (Brooks Brothers, Tahari, Ann Taylor, Ann Klein, Theory, Albert Nippon, St. John) but leave money for tailoring. eBay can be especially good for handbags and outerwear.
  • Your objective is to look capable, professional, responsible, mature -- in short, like someone with good judgement.
  • Looking good, hot, sexy, pretty, attractive -- this is not what you're aiming for. If you happen to also look attractive, that's a bonus, but don't make the mistake of looking 'good' over looking 'appropriate'.
  • Tailoring - If your suit doesn't fit perfectly off the rack, get it tailored! Taking suits in is much easier than letting them out, so get at-least-enough fabric in the waist, seat and bust and a good fit in the shoulders. The rest can be altered.

Last edited:
Reactions: 39 users
Hi y'all! I just got my first interview (gahhh!), and I'm trying to dig up information on interview attire. The last thread I found was ~3 years old, so I figured I'd start a new one. How do y'all feel about women's interview clothing, especially:

1. Pant suits versus skirt suits? I'm more comfortable in pants but I'm interviewing in Texas in August. Super hot.
I would say wear whatever you are most comfortable in. Some people just look better in one or the other and that's fine. You're going to be inside the majority of your time there, and it will be very air-conditioned. In reality, a skirt+hose is not going to be that much cooler than pants.

2. Suit color? AAMC recommends sticking with navy, brown, charcoal, and gray. I tend towards all black everything--would this be too severe?
All black everything can be a bit much - I've seen people do a black blazer OR skirt and a colored/patterned piece, but I think you could possibly make all black work if you had the right shirt beneath it.

3. Hair? Any other ladies with long hair and absolutely no styling skills? I'm thinking a straight, clean ponytail, but I'm not sure if that's too informal. Plus, I'm also worried about wearing a ponytail in August heat.
I have curly hair, so I am probably not the ideal person to comment on this, but I wore my hair in a low bun to two interviews, and for the third, I straightened it and wore it down. I did see lots of ponytails though, so you wouldn't stand out in a bad way.

4. Shoes? I've always heard that heels are musts for interviews, but some resources I've browsed say to avoid heels because you'll be "clicking" all over the place. I know we can bring flats, but I've also heard to avoid bringing bulky purses with you.
I wore comfortable heels. I wore a dress, so it looked bad with flats, but I saw girls wearing both at all of my interviews. I brought flats to all three of my interviews, but never put them on.

5. Purses/messenger bags? Related to #4. Some resources I've read said that a bulky bag can be distracting.
Again, kind of a personal preference thing. I would stay away from a messenger bag, unless you have a nice one. Most girls I saw had a tote, and I brought one as well. Especially if you are traveling, it's nice to have everything in one place and it gives you some peace of mind, knowing you have extra hose, powder, etc.

6. Jewelry? Some resources I've perused say to omit jewelry. Others say to wear understated pieces, like a classy watch, small earrings, and wedding band if you're married. Thoughts?
I would recommend whatever looks best with the outfit you choose. If you have a patterned, brightly colored shirt, you probably don't need a necklace, but a simple one can look very nice with more plain outfit. I would definitly wear a watch, I wore one and it was good to not have to look at my phone all the time - I also wore a ring, but again, I wouldn't do anything too out there. Stick with simple, classic things.

7. Makeup? Lots of sources say to not wear makeup. I have to disagree here--I think NOT wearing makeup can look a bit sloppy. Plus, as a frequent wearer of makeup (I know, my speech is so eloquent), I would be super uncomfortable without any. However, I also think wearing too much can be tacky. I'm planning on going for very simple, clean makeup. Thoughts?
I agree with simple, clean makeup. Some people may look fine with none, but I wore a bit of concealer, foundation, a light brown eyeshadow and mascara. Again, whatever you feel more comfortable. If you wear make up regularly, this shouldn't be a problem for you, but no makeup is better than poorly done makeup.

8. Best places to buy all this crap? I'm going to need professional help on this area--it's definitely not a comfort zone for me. I usually go to Banana Republic or Ann Taylor, but there isn't a lot of employee help in these stores (in my experiences). I've also heard that Marshalls/TJ Maxx has some good suits, but same goes with the lack of employee help. I'm going to need more guidance.
I got my dress and blazer from Macy's and my bag from Kohl's (best place to find professional-looking totes that are fairly affordable). I would recommend going shopping with someone if you can, it's always nice to have a second opinion from someone who isn't trying to sell you something. I would go to several places to find what fits you best - sizing can be a pain if you a not a "normal" size or figure. Nordstrom and Dillards have helpful women that help with fitting and everything, but clothes from these stores are also more expensive, so while I looked at those two, I didn't end up buying anything.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks, and good luck to all as interview season begins!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Whatever you're most comfortable in :) I think it is worse to be uncomfortable in a skirt, than comfortable in a pantsuit. There are suits made of fairly lightweight materials, and *hopefully* you'll spend most of your time indoors.

I feel black can be severe, but I don't think it would really hurt you too much if you went that direction.

me! I have long straight hair. some bobby pins or one of these clips are pretty magical to get some of my hair out of my face http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-sli..._sim_bt_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=00Z70AX404FP7MFCE9E4

There are a lot of heels that don't "click" much, but again, if you're comfortable with heels, go for it. But if you're going to be unstable in them.. it'll really affect your confidence going in so I would stick with flats :)

I think it is more making sure you have a "quiet" bag. Just leave the crazy designs/bright colors at home.

I'd say this is preference.. I'd say earrings are fine, but I would tend to lean on the more conservative spectrum on this.

go for it :) haha I was actually told that I am getting to the age where it is almost "disrespectful" for me to wear absolutely no makeup (darn it..)
But I think we're going for the "I woke up like this" look. :)

Hmmm.. the banana republic in my area had GREAT service for me (+ bought it when they had an additional 50% off deal! :D). You can always go for Nordstrom, or maybe Jcrew if that is in your price range. I found for me, it was about finding one that was comfortable and fit my price range.. which meant I tried on quite a few.

If you need guidance I would bring along a friend who will give you honest feedback.

Reactions: 1 users
No useful advice here, but you women have it rough. This is a lot to consider. Good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
1. Pant suits versus skirt suits?
Whichever you are more comfortable in. I ended up wearing a skirt, just because I usually wore heels for the interview and changed into flats for the tours, and pants would have meant committing to one type of shoe. Some more conservative interviewers allegedly also consider skirts to be more appropriate/traditional attire for female applicants.

If you do wear a skirt, wear tights/panty hose/whatever it is called in a shade that matches your skin tone.

I wore black everything because the suit I found that fit me best happened to be black. The majority of students I saw on the interview trail were also wearing black. If you have a choice between black and charcoal go for charcoal, but I would focus more on fit than color (as long as the suit is black, navy, charcoal, or gray. Brown seems like an iffy choice, but that's probably because I've never seen a nice brown suit)

Ponytail is fine. Hair should be clean, neat, and out of your face. Experiment with different heights of ponytails (low can sometimes look a little bit less casual) and find one that looks best with your hair.

Depends on your height and what you're comfortable with. "Clicking" all over the place in heels is not an issue. I had great success bringing flats and I'm not sure how tiny of a bag you are bringing that won't have room for a pair of flats.

Define "bulky bag." I would strongly recommend that you bring a bag large enough to carry around the papers and such that they will hand you at the beginning of the interview. Bringing a tiny purse would probably be more distracting and impractical as you would have to juggle that with folders, etc.

Bring a practical, professional looking bag of a reasonable size in a neutral color (ideally matching your shoes). No obnoxious/obvious logos, no large or jangly hardware, no studs/fringe/trendy decorations, no "it" bags (not sure if by "bulky" bags your resources were referring to bags like a balenciaga city bag or chloe paddingtons or something, but those would not be appropriate).

Understated jewelery would probably be best- small studs or pearls for earrings, an understated necklace, a ring etc are all probably great. If wearing multiple pieces, make sure they are all the same kind of metal (all gold or all silver). I would avoid statement necklaces, dangling earrings, and bangle bracelets.

Wear make up. Simple, clean makeup sounds great- anything that looks "natural" (no crazy eyeshadow/lipstick colors, no crazy eyeliner wings, no aggressive contouring). Make sure that you use makeup that does not run or smudge as the day goes on.

Do you have a parent, trusted adult, or experienced friend who could help you? I went to BR with a friend who had a lot of business experience and she helped me make sure my suit fit properly.

Fit is the most important thing. Tailoring is always an option, but can be expensive and not everything can be fixed. It's fine to buy pants that are a little too long, but blazers that are too wide in the shoulder will be difficult to remedy. I would be prepared to try on a variety of suits from a variety of retailers and brands until you find one that fits you well and is in your budget.

You could go to Nordstrom's or Bloomingdales for more professional help and guidance, but remember that you will be paying a premium for that service.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't plan on wearing ANY makeup. I haven't worn makeup since high school and I don't plan on starting now just for an interview. If they can't see past the fact I am not wearing makeup and focus on my intelligence, personality and drive to pursue medicine, then thats just stupid.

Reactions: 7 users
Just some general tips:
Dress professionally. If you have to ask yourself "Does this look professional?" It probably isn't. Just dress conservatively and don't stress too much on the details! It's not about being fashionable as it is looking like a serious potential student.

Also to those considering buying a suit online, really recommend against polyester suits if possible. The fabric can look cheap in real life and especially during hotter interview months, they're not very comfortable.

I bought a navy skirt suit from banana republic. I had great help from the manager of the store. I told her what it was for and she had me set in 20 minutes.
I had quiet pumps from Clarks. They were super comfortable and easy to walk in and didn't make horrible clicky clack noises.

I also have long, unruly hair. I wore it in a bun. I didn't bring a bag but did bring a small portfolio for notes.

Good questions -- and I'd agree that after 3 years, it's time for a fresh post. Though I don't think the old one was necessarily out of date as 'fashion' and 'interview attire' don't go hand-in hand. And I'd respectfully request 'clever' posters to abstain to keep this thread useful.

1. Pant suits versus skirt suits?
  • Either are fine. In either case, the bottom half should be 'not too snug' in the hips and tush and of the appropriate length. For skirts, this means somewhere either slightly below to slightly above the knee, but not very much in either direction. For pants, not dragging the ground or forcing you into shoes you're uncomfortable with, but also not ankle-length. No one should notice the length of your skirt/pants.
  • Dresses and jackets are also OK, if conservative.
  • If your jacket and skirt/pants are the same color (they don't have to be), they should be the same fabric. A 'near miss' is NOT what you want.
  • As your guide, look at female politicians: Elizabeth Warren, Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, Nancy Pelosi. Do not use political wives (too feminine), or TV show lawyers or anchor women (too sexy).
2. Suit color?
  • A medium to dark solid color or woven pattern - so no pastels, no neon, no floral. Plaids or stripes are OK if they're quiet and conservative, but wouldn't be my first choice. For a woman, you've got much more color leeway than guys do, so black is not off limits. For women, it's not necessarily formal the way it is with guys.
  • And the relative formality/casualness of a suit can be impacted greatly by a blouse, shell or shirt also. Silk or starched cotton are probably the most traditional, but are not the only good choices.
  • No cleavage!
  • Bold patterns and florals are risky for a shirt or blouse, as are ruffles and lace. Pastels and jewel tones are fine for blouses. Bright colors can sometimes work, but there is such a thing as too bright.
3. Hair?
  • Something simple and no-fuss. You want to look like you won't have to adjust your hair in the middle of the day, so a ponytail or bun is fine as is a part-up. Long curly hair should be restrained somewhat, and your eyes should be clearly visible.
  • Hair colors not found in nature would be a mistake.
4. Shoes?
  • Sexy stilettos and high platforms are inappropriate for all women; flats are OK if you're tall, wearing pants, and they're not too casual.
  • The safest shoe is a low-to-medium heel closed-toe pump in a dark or neutral color.
  • Make sure you can walk comfortably in the shoes you choose.
5. Purses/messenger bags?
  • Something plain and streamlined with minimal decorative hardware and no ruffles or bling in a dark or neutral color.
  • Popular designer logos may suggest you're a spoiled 'material girl' with entitlement issues - even if the bags are fake.
  • Canvas totes are perfectly acceptable, so don't spend a lot for a bag you may not use much.
  • Backpacks say you're a college student, not a grown up.
6. Jewelry?
  • Simple, classic jewelry is fine but not necessary: Gold, pearls, wedding and/or engagement rings. Avoid jewelry that is overly large, showy, fashionable, casual or girlish. The one exception to the 'showy' rule could be an interesting brooch on a plain suit.
  • Silver is OK if it's better for your skin tone, but use the 'Would this look good in gold?' test to make sure it's not too casual.
7. Makeup?
  • A little bit of makeup makes you look grown up and fully dressed. Zero makeup can make you look too young or under-dressed; too much is worse however. Keep the foundation, eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara subtle.
  • If you look like you could go out clubbing or had your makeup 'done' by a cosmetolegist, it's too much. Again, look to female politicians.
8. Best places to buy all this crap?
  • If you know what you're doing, you can find less expensive pieces and put together a great look at TJ Maxx or Steinmart. If you don't, go to Nordstrom's, Talbot's or Brooks Brothers and pay for help.
  • Mid-tier department stores like Macy's can be hit or miss. Many will try to sell you something 'current' or 'in fashion' or 'stylish'. This is not your objective.
  • Your objective is to look capable, professional, responsible, mature -- in short, like someone with good judgement.
  • Looking good, hot, sexy, pretty, attractive -- this is not what you're aiming for. If you happen to also look attractive, that's a bonus, but don't make the mistake of looking 'good' over looking 'appropriate'.
DoktorMom, this is amazing! Thank you SO much for your insight!!!!

This is really helpful!!

I'm looking at getting my suit and such in order around this time, and trying to figure out what kind of shell to pair with a navy suit. Any tips on where I should look? I'm thinking a light colour, maybe with a small and unobtrusive pattern. I don't think I really want something collared or with buttons. I guess I am just not sure what would look good/appropriate!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is really helpful!!

I'm looking at getting my suit and such in order around this time, and trying to figure out what kind of shell to pair with a navy suit. Any tips on where I should look? I'm thinking a light colour, maybe with a small and unobtrusive pattern. I don't think I really want something collared or with buttons. I guess I am just not sure what would look good/appropriate!

You're definitely on the right track. For your shell, look for a neckline that doesn't fight with your jacket's neckline -- perhaps bring your jacket with you? Also check to see how the fabric looks when wet, as you may find yourself perspiring, and how washable it is.

Hi all! Thanks so much to everyone replying to this thread--this has been really helpful in choosing my interview-day outfit. I have a few questions since I'm fashion-illiterate and would love some advice:

1. I'm having a really hard time figuring out what top to wear. I've read some resources that advise sticking to a collared button down in white or blue, but I've seen others saying it's okay to wear a nice blouse. Any thoughts here?

2. I found a navy-ish (it's kind of a lighter navy... this is it: http://www.dillards.com/product/Antonio-Melani-Wray-ShawlCollar-Jacket_301_-1_301_504576043) shirt suit, and I haven't a clue what color shoes to wear! I think tan shoes would look great if I could find a matching top, but I've heard that any shoes other than black and navy aren't formal enough. I don't want to get navy shoes (a navy suit, shoes, and bag would be overkill), but I didn't think black and navy matched.

Thank you guys so much in advance!

My wife just went through this dilemma when interviewing for a new teaching position. She's fairly short and petite so it was difficult to find a set that wouldn't need much alterations.....that being said, we got the interview invite last minute--so I would recommend considering getting it tailored if you have time.

The customer service at Dillard's was fantastic, but they didn't have the right fit for her....she loved what she got from banana republic, and she got a great deal.

All I can offer is what I wore:

Black pants and blazer, blouse, brown ankle boots, large brown/black bag (big enough for a folder, notebook, water, and food), small earrings and a watch, no makeup (I never wear makeup anyhow; if you want to wear it, go for it, just keep it very simple). I have short hair so I wore it down, neatly.

I bought most of the clothes at the Limited - not too expensive, but nice-looking and it fit me well. Plus the employees were incredibly helpful, helped me find several outfits with just a few pieces, and at least the specific ones I spoke to were familiar with med school, interviews, the medical profession in general (the only other shoppers at that time were all wearing scrubs!) which was great.

My reasoning for all of this was that it's important to both be comfortable and look nice (hence the pants and the boots - skirts are too fussy, and the shoes were super comfortable). Plus I can't wear button-downs given my chest size, so wearing a blouse (simple pattern, tucked in, largely covered by my blazer) was a much better option for me.

Basically, if you look professional and you're comfortable, then you're fine. Err on the side of the conservative/formal to be safe, but don't stress. I mean, the only watch I had other than my sports watch was a Mickey Mouse watch, so I wore that for my interviews (don't think anyone even noticed).

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all! Thanks so much to everyone replying to this thread--this has been really helpful in choosing my interview-day outfit. I have a few questions since I'm fashion-illiterate and would love some advice:

1. I'm having a really hard time figuring out what top to wear. I've read some resources that advise sticking to a collared button down in white or blue, but I've seen others saying it's okay to wear a nice blouse. Any thoughts here?

2. I found a navy-ish (it's kind of a lighter navy... this is it: http://www.dillards.com/product/Antonio-Melani-Wray-ShawlCollar-Jacket_301_-1_301_504576043) shirt suit, and I haven't a clue what color shoes to wear! I think tan shoes would look great if I could find a matching top, but I've heard that any shoes other than black and navy aren't formal enough. I don't want to get navy shoes (a navy suit, shoes, and bag would be overkill), but I didn't think black and navy matched.

Fashion-illiterate, my backside! Love that jacket that you got there.

The issue with a lighter color shoe is that it may stain; especially if it's not a hard-lacquered fabric. My favorite shoe color that looks classy is a charcoal gray; and you can get them relatively cheap. Maybe something like http://www.payless.com/womens-claire-scrunch-flat/70092.html if you're going for comfort. Also, I really love a good wedge, so maybe something like http://www.payless.com/womens-tally-x-band-wedge-slide/74200.html will be more up your alley. It's definitely more formal.

Loving the thread though! Hopefully I'll be needing this info soon enough. :D

1 - Shirt - There's absolutely nothing wrong with a collared cotton shirt in blue or white, though a button-less collar is more dressy than a button-down (in case that's what you meant); however it's far from the only good choice. A plain-colored shell, or even a knit top like the one pictured with your suit is also great. Actually, it might be a much better choice if that's the suit you're going with, due to the shawl collar vs. shirt neckline issue. I'd probably go with a simple scoop neckline for that suit.

2 - Shoes - Navy pumps are a classic with a navy suit, IF your navies are compatible; surprisingly many are not. Some trend green, others to indigo, some to purple even. Aim for a few shades darker than your fabric, and definitely bring some of your suit fabric along if you're trying to match navy with navy. (No, it's not too much navy.) Nude would probably be 'safer', but watch your heel height. A large portion of the nude pumps I see these days are either too high or really ugly. Another option is a lovely 'oxblood wine' color. Very elegant and traditional.

The issue with a lighter color shoe is that it may stain; especially if it's not a hard-lacquered fabric. My favorite shoe color that looks classy is a charcoal gray; and you can get them relatively cheap. Maybe something like http://www.payless.com/womens-claire-scrunch-flat/70092.html if you're going for comfort. Also, I really love a good wedge, so maybe something like http://www.payless.com/womens-tally-x-band-wedge-slide/74200.html will be more up your alley. It's definitely more formal.

Cute shoes! For the weekend, though. For interviews, try http://www.payless.com/womens/pumps-and-heels/ (summer only) or http://www.payless.com/womens/pumps-and-heels/ And while a nice charcoal leather can be a beautiful thing, leather frequently doesn't take well to grey dyes and end up looking cheap (painted) rather than elegant. http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-CREW-MONA...54008?pt=US_Women_s_Shoes&hash=item418365b118 It you go for grey, be sure to see it in person to avoid that problem.

How about engagement ring / wedding band?
One part of me says : of course - you are married, wear it!
then second part of me says : no - i dont want them to know I am married ( so it doesnt influence their decision - am i imagining things here?) and then I dont want to look like someone who shows off and be viewed as spoilt/emtitled. I also feel like it might contradict my story - I was raised very poor and never had much money even in my early twenties, but have been very fortunate that my husband has good income, and I dont want my rigns to say that.

Married ladies please help, because sometimes i feel like its an issue, sometimes i feel like its only in my head.

All I can offer is what I wore:

Black pants and blazer, blouse, brown ankle boots, large brown/black bag (big enough for a folder, notebook, water, and food), small earrings and a watch, no makeup (I never wear makeup anyhow; if you want to wear it, go for it, just keep it very simple). I have short hair so I wore it down, neatly.

I bought most of the clothes at the Limited - not too expensive, but nice-looking and it fit me well. Plus the employees were incredibly helpful, helped me find several outfits with just a few pieces, and at least the specific ones I spoke to were familiar with med school, interviews, the medical profession in general (the only other shoppers at that time were all wearing scrubs!) which was great.

My reasoning for all of this was that it's important to both be comfortable and look nice (hence the pants and the boots - skirts are too fussy, and the shoes were super comfortable). Plus I can't wear button-downs given my chest size, so wearing a blouse (simple pattern, tucked in, largely covered by my blazer) was a much better option for me.

Basically, if you look professional and you're comfortable, then you're fine. Err on the side of the conservative/formal to be safe, but don't stress. I mean, the only watch I had other than my sports watch was a Mickey Mouse watch, so I wore that for my interviews (don't think anyone even noticed).
This is great advice! I've been trying to decide between a collared button-down and a blouse. I, too, have a larger chest and a smaller frame, so I think I'd be constantly worried about gapping with a button-down. This makes me feel better about wearing a blouse! Thank you!

Fashion-illiterate, my backside! Love that jacket that you got there.

Loving the thread though! Hopefully I'll be needing this info soon enough. :D
I'm so glad you like the jacket! My current outfit consists of a 8-year-old Mario Brothers t-shirt from Walmart and my beloved tattered sweatpants, so any fashion advice I can get is very much appreciated :D

Yeah, I'm worried about imperfections and staining being more obvious with any lightly-colored heels. Plus, I feel like a taupe/tan heel might be too informal (although this would really depend on the entire outfit, I think). I have a really nice pair a black patent heels that are super comfortable and not very high. I think I'm going to try to find a blouse to make them work. Thanks so much for the advice and the confident boost ;)

1 - Shirt - There's absolutely nothing wrong with a collared cotton shirt in blue or white, though a button-less collar is more dressy than a button-down (in case that's what you meant); however it's far from the only good choice. A plain-colored shell, or even a knit top like the one pictured with your suit is also great. Actually, it might be a much better choice if that's the suit you're going with, due to the shawl collar vs. shirt neckline issue. I'd probably go with a simple scoop neckline for that suit.

2 - Shoes - Navy pumps are a classic with a navy suit, IF your navies are compatible; surprisingly many are not. Some trend green, others to indigo, some to purple even. Aim for a few shades darker than your fabric, and definitely bring some of your suit fabric along if you're trying to match navy with navy. (No, it's not too much navy.) Nude would probably be 'safer', but watch your heel height. A large portion of the nude pumps I see these days are either too high or really ugly. Another option is a lovely 'oxblood wine' color. Very elegant and traditional.

Ahh thank you! I'd so much prefer to wear a simple blouse anyways. With my body type, button-downs look weird on me and I'd worry about gaping. Your advice solidified my decision--I'm going with a blouse :) (I think a shell=blouse... at least in my definition... Kind of like a nice shirt to go under the suit, right? Jeez I'm clueless)

I've always heard that your bag should match your shoes--do you think it would be too much to have a navy suit, navy shoes, and a navy bag (assuming I could find compatible navies)? I was thinking of wearing a gray/white blouse, black shoes, and black bag with the navy suit. But, I'm not sure if I could pull this many colors together and have it look nice. Thank you so much for all of your advice, DokterMom!

I really appreciate everyone's advice and comments! This has been a very insightful post.

How about engagement ring / wedding band?
One part of me says : of course - you are married, wear it!
then second part of me says : no - i dont want them to know I am married ( so it doesnt influence their decision - am i imagining things here?) and then I dont want to look like someone who shows off and be viewed as spoilt/emtitled. I also feel like it might contradict my story - I was raised very poor and never had much money even in my early twenties, but have been very fortunate that my husband has good income, and I dont want my rigns to say that.

Married ladies please help, because sometimes i feel like its an issue, sometimes i feel like its only in my head.

I've also been thinking about this (SO glad I'm not the only one)!!! Here are my experiences/thoughts:

My college pre-med advisor told me NOT to wear my wedding/engagement rings to the interview. In fact, she told me not to even admit to being married. Honestly, this ticked me off a bit. I understand that adcoms want to avoid accepting any student who will not be able to complete their medical education and become a doctor (hence, being married might be considered an added challenge). But I REFUSE to compromise my individuality and integrity just to fit this preconceived "med student mold." So, I decided from the get-go that I will not try to hide any aspect of my personal life (when it's appropriate and relevant, of course... I don't think they need to know my morning bathroom schedule or anything :p)

However, I understand that it's human nature to make subconscious judgments based off of appearances. I hate to admit it, but I'd probably silently judge a woman tottering around the mall on sky-high heels, dripping in diamonds and carrying bags from whatever expensive designer is popular nowadays. With that being said, my husband was in a stable financial position when we got engaged, and he purchased a very nice engagement ring for me. I could care less about the size/cost of it, but, often to my annoyance, it's a noticeable ring to many people. I want my interviewers to focus their attention on my personality, not on my clothes or jewelry. So, I've decided that I'm going to purchase a simple wedding band without any embellishments or shiny things and wear that in place of my engagement/wedding set. That way, I'm not hiding my marriage (because that's a part of who I am), but I'm ensuring that the interviewers will see ME, not my jewelry.

I hope this helps, FluffyPolishUnicorn!

Gel heel liners will save your heels from getting blisters from your dress shoes (can buy any brand at the drugstore)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dr.-Scholls-For-Her-Clear-Heel-Liner/10418814

On Zappos.com you can search for women's heels that are tagged "Comfort" and "Office & Career" to find interview-appropriate styles that won't kill your feet. You can also filter by color and they do free shipping/free returns (you can order multiple sizes).

This is great advice! I've been trying to decide between a collared button-down and a blouse. I, too, have a larger chest and a smaller frame, so I think I'd be constantly worried about gapping with a button-down. This makes me feel better about wearing a blouse! Thank you!
A blouse definitely works. You can do a plain one, but I also did have some with patterns (just subtle modern floral-y things - one in black/white, one in brown/red [*gasp* that was actually what I wore to the interview at the school I'll be attending this fall!]) and it didn't ruin everything ;) But yeah, you definitely don't have to wear a button-down, especially if it'll look more unprofessional. I know the struggle :p

Would a blazer and dress combo, such as this outfit: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...=755762&CategoryID=1002846&LinkType=#pdp_tabs , be conservative enough for medical school interviews? I bought a suit from Express a couple of years ago that still fits perfectly, but I am worried that it's too young/fitted. The pants for my current suit are similar to these http://www.express.com/clothing/textured pindot wide waistband flare editor pant/pro/9198181/cat760006 . Thanks for the help!

That dress and blazer is absolute perfection #@Meowfish6868, provided the fit is not too snug. To liven things up just a bit, a great pin, scarf or slightly-larger-than-classic necklace would be great. The Express pants are fine.

What do you guys think of a dress (ie some less expensive version of this http://www.dvf.com/new-julian-two-j...size=0#prefn1=color&prefv1=Black&cgid=dresses) plus black suit jacket?

If you're curvy (and that dress is great for a curvy girl ;)) it'll be too sexy. If you're slender with a more 'boyish' figure, it would be 'OK', but a simple sheath shape would be better. Color-wise, you would not want a black dress and black jacket unless they were in the same fabric (like the one above.)

This thread is great and so helpful! Thanks so much to everyone for their input and support! How is this for a blouse: http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-crepe-tie-neck-shell/340272

Watch out for sleeveless tops since then you can't take off your jacket. Keep in mind that a shirt is easier to clean than a suit if you anticipate sweating under pressure. Also, you will need to make sure that the bow looks right with your jacket (falls in the right place, doesn't cause a bulge, etc). Otherwise, the color and fabric are appropriate.

This thread is great and so helpful! Thanks so much to everyone for their input and support! How is this for a blouse: http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-crepe-tie-neck-shell/340272

I agree with @kyamh about the 'sweat' issue (who wouldn't sweat under these circumstances!?) and on the color and fabric. I'd give that blouse an 'OK' but think you can do better. To me, the bow looks a bit 'droopy' and uncomfortably reminiscent of the days when business women tried to imitate the men with silk bow ties. How about this one instead? http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-tab-sleeve-silk-blouse/340403

Watch out for sleeveless tops since then you can't take off your jacket. Keep in mind that a shirt is easier to clean than a suit if you anticipate sweating under pressure. Also, you will need to make sure that the bow looks right with your jacket (falls in the right place, doesn't cause a bulge, etc). Otherwise, the color and fabric are appropriate.

That makes sense. Ok! I will definitely have to try it on to see what the bow looks like.

I agree with @kyamh about the 'sweat' issue (who wouldn't sweat under these circumstances!?) and on the color and fabric. I'd give that blouse an 'OK' but think you can do better. To me, the bow looks a bit 'droopy' and uncomfortably reminiscent of the days when business women tried to imitate the men with silk bow ties. How about this one instead? http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-tab-sleeve-silk-blouse/340403

I really like that one, and almost bought it during the sale two days ago, but wondered if a longer sleeved blouse would be too hot underneath my suit jacket. But I do really like it! Do you think the pale blue or the pink would be better with a navy suit?

Thanks for your help, both of you!! :)

That makes sense. Ok! I will definitely have to try it on to see what the bow looks like.

I really like that one, and almost bought it during the sale two days ago, but wondered if a longer sleeved blouse would be too hot underneath my suit jacket. But I do really like it! Do you think the pale blue or the pink would be better with a navy suit?

Thanks for your help, both of you!! :)

I had a navy suit with a pale blue shirt. Kind of boring, but I think I looked nice.

Questions on shoes:
Are patent leather or suede too noticeable?
As a tall person, wearing even low heels would make me taller than the average male (5'10", thanks wikipedia), is this something that draws unnecessary attention or will make short ADCOMS feel even shorter and loath me. Or am I just psyching myself out....

As a side note, I totally understand we need to look professional and demure, but, one must admit, it is frustrating to worry about looking too tall, or too short, or too curvy, or too high maintenance, or too flashy, or too fashionable, or too married...

Reactions: 5 users
Questions on shoes:
As a tall person, wearing even low heels would make me taller than the average male (5'10", thanks wikipedia), is this something that draws unnecessary attention or will make short ADCOMS feel even shorter and loath me. Or am I just psyching myself out....

As a side note, I totally understand we need to look professional and demure, but, one must admit, it is frustrating to worry about looking too tall, or too short, or too curvy, or too high maintenance, or too flashy, or too fashionable, or too married...
I wore plain brown leather ankle boots (no heel; under a suit, they just looked like smooth, simple dress shoes) and they were totally fine. I'm on the short side; I just can't manage heels, and it was totally fine.

Loving this thread! Just wondering, right now I have very very naturally "ombred" hair.. should I dye it to one color? My natural hair is black and it's just slightly ombred to a dark brown.

Questions on shoes:

Plain leather is preferable to suede or patent, but those are certainly not deal-breakers. @predoc26, your height is not a problem! It's an asset, actually. So don't think short doctors or short AdCom members will hate you for it. I'm trying to figure out how to spell 'demure' with four letters (DMUR ?) because it should be a four-letter word here! You want to look professional; and professional =/= demure. (Yes, you're psyching yourself out. Stand tall and proud -- good posture projects confidence.) Wear the heel height you're comfortable in, so long as it's not 'too high'. If you want 'total flats' though, I'd suggest a pants suit over a skirted one, just because flats look better with pants.

Loving this thread! Just wondering, right now I have very very naturally "ombred" hair.. should I dye it to one color? My natural hair is black and it's just slightly ombred to a dark brown.

If the 'ombre line' is visible (half black / half brown) I'd suggest either all one color or a touch-up to 'blur the line'.

I'm very familiar with men's formal attire and browsing through this thread just makes me realize how incredibly different things can be on the other side.

I wouldn't consider half the things posted here formal enough for interviews, though I suppose women have more leeway for work attire across the board.

I'm very familiar with men's formal attire and browsing through this thread just makes me realize how incredibly different things can be on the other side.

I wouldn't consider half the things posted here formal enough for interviews, though I suppose women have more leeway for work attire across the board.

With men, wardrobe choice just seems to be.. far less nuanced. A suit, dress shirt, dress shoes, relatively clean shaven, and almost any guy is set. Although style and fit do come into play, from my experience, even a guy with an ill-fitting suit won't really get dinged in terms of professionalism.

Women on the other hand, have to juggle fit, style, and body type. And a combination of the three determines a perceived appropriateness/professionalism. Even something as simple as your suit being minutely too tight can push your outfit over the edge of looking too sexy if you're curvy. Basically, it seems a lot harder to find the "right" answer for women's interview wear, and what works for one person, may not work for another.

It's a bit silly that we have to take so much time and effort to consider such things, but I guess that's kind of the paradox of choice going on.

Reactions: 8 users
With men, wardrobe choice just seems to be.. far less nuanced. A suit, dress shirt, dress shoes, relatively clean shaven, and almost any guy is set. Although style and fit do come into play, from my experience, even a guy with an ill-fitting suit won't really get dinged in terms of professionalism.

Women on the other hand, have to juggle fit, style, and body type. And a combination of the three determines a perceived appropriateness/professionalism. Even something as simple as your suit being minutely too tight can push your outfit over the edge of looking too sexy if you're curvy. Basically, it seems a lot harder to find the "right" answer for women's interview wear, and what works for one person, may not work for another.

It's a bit silly that we have to take so much time and effort to consider such things, but I guess that's kind of the paradox of choice going on.
EXACTLY. I would *love* to go with a typical suit + button down but given my figure, it's never ever going to work - it'd look either sloppy or pornographic, and I'd prefer to look neither.

The greater flexibility can be nice - I found stuff that suited my figure that was still interview-appropriate - but it can also be a real pain.

Thank you for making this thread, OP! :)

As an aside, if any of you ladies were thinking of Banana Republic for your suits, I was at the mall today and noticed they are having a 40% off everything sale right now.

Good luck with your interviews! I am sending you all my good thoughts and positive energy! :)

Thank you for making this thread, OP! :)

As an aside, if any of you ladies were thinking of Banana Republic for your suits, I was at the mall today and noticed they are having a 40% off everything sale right now.

Good luck with your interviews! I am sending you all my good thoughts and positive energy! :)
You are welcome! I am so glad I made this thread and am so thankful for users like @DoktorMom and @Keladry for taking everyone's questions! Seriously, y'all have all helped so much!

Ann Taylor is also having a sale right now (at least the store near me is, which is in an outlet mall). Banana Republic has some really great no-iron button-downs if anyone is going that route. They're pretty pricey ($60 although I got mine half-off during a recent sale), but I think a nice button-down is going to be expensive anyways. :)

The nuance of mens formal wear is not just accomplished by wearing a suit, just wearing a suit doesn't make one presentable.

My point was that there is more breadth in what is acceptable for women vs for men, i.e. much more leeway. What you said agrees with that assessment. I think the body type argument is moot since there's a dress for every type that will work, but also it's not a surprise to anyone what their body type is. I did think that some stuff posted earlier wasn't appropriate but some others also said the same.

Also, the fit/body type/etc applies to both men and women. The thing is that most men have no idea what proper fit is for a suit. They end up with puddles of trousers at their ankles, jackets that are too larger on the shoulders with excess in the chest, and also sleeves that are totally off.

Pairing a tie/suit/socks/shoes/etc for men might seem like an easy task, but most guys get it all wrong. Women don't have to worry about that stuff, since you can just wear a dress and be done with it. There is much more leeway accepted for women.

Side note: The comment of wear what a politician would is totally spot on! This is the place to look professional, not be noticed for your style.

Last edited: