Wondering how particular T20s are about the prestige of your gap year clinical activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green-Eyed Girl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at an opportunity for clinical research job with renowned doctor in the nephrology space at an elite teaching hospital but will be very administrative and have very little interaction with patients VS more "real" clinical experiences as EMT, scribe or CNA? Would learn a ton about the behind the scenes realities of clinical research but need clinical hours… Would T20s value the more prestigious opportunity more than the in the trenches roles?

EDIT: I am strongly leaning to the in the trenches roles - I just don't want to be naive...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should have both research and clinical experience for T20. If you don’t have clinical hours, then try to be more involved with that through that activity or try to pick up something else on the side at the same hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at an opportunity for clinical research job with renowned doctor in the nephrology space at an elite teaching hospital but will be very administrative and have very little interaction with patients VS more "real" clinical experiences as EMT, scribe or CNA? Would learn a ton about the behind the scenes realities of clinical research but need clinical hours… Would T20s value the more prestigious opportunity more than the in the trenches roles?

EDIT: I am strongly leaning to the in the trenches roles - I just don't want to be naive...
I think it is highly unlikely that basically being an administrative assistant to a "renowned doctor in the nephrology space at an elite teaching hospital" will help you at all as compared to an actual clinical experience, UNLESS the person would be willing and able to use their influence to get you into the school affiliated with the "elite teaching hospital."

I wouldn't be naive about the potential impact some big shot might have at their home institution, but, beyond that, I don't see how being a clerk for a medical big shot is going to be useful to a med school applicant. JMHO, but I agree with your gut here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks all - helpful. My instinct is to decline the more "prestigious opportunity" and go with a more pedestrian but more service oriented option. Was just unsure because opportunities are so hard to come by and didn't want to shoot myself in the foot if "that's how it really works….". Nobody in my sphere has gone to medical school let alone at a top tier school. Appreciate the responses.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks all - helpful. My instinct is to decline the more "prestigious opportunity" and go with a more pedestrian but more service oriented option. Was just unsure because opportunities are so hard to come by and didn't want to shoot myself in the foot if "that's how it really works….". Nobody in my sphere has gone to medical school let alone at a top tier school. Appreciate the responses.
You are going to be just fine. Your instincts are good and you are obtaining access to all of the right opportunities.

Just be careful about T20 or bust. It's great if you can get it, but it's REALLY not necessary to get most people where they are going, and it's not always all it's cracked up to be. So, please don't set yourself up for needless potential disappointment down the road by making it the measure of your success.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s not going to make or break your application. A girl in my class was a barista in her gap year

The thread content was not what I was thinking the title alluded to. I wasn't sure what "prestige of gap year activities" was about, but I will say, if you did things like Peace Corps, Teach for America, or a Rhodes-like scholarship year... sure you'll get some attention. Carry on.

At my school, working with a "renowned doctor in the nephrology space at an elite teaching hospital" will not help your application unless you had something meaningful to show for it, e.g. a publication, strong letter of recommendation, etc. Having worked at a school's affiliated hospital may also help you answer "why us?" but as many applicants can attest to, such experiences will not secure even an interview invite at that school (in fact, far from it!).

All else being equal, the prestige of the writer is unlikely to make any meaningful difference in your application. Having a writer say "Green-eyed girl is the best undergraduate student (or top 1%) I have mentored in my 25 year career; she operates more efficiently than even the residents and fellows I've worked with" will be seen very positively regardless of the writer's renown. Also, most of us won't recognize any of these people's names unless they are within our specialty/hospital system, and even then it's far from a given (there are a lot of 'renown doctors' at these 'elite teaching hospitals').

So your best bet is to ensure you have a well-rounded application with a cohesive narrative. Since your application is lacking in clinical experiences, addressing this should be your top priority. Just my thoughts.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users