Wondering if it's worth it.

Started by heyday328
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

heyday328

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am from southern CA. I am 24, I have a 4 year old daughter. In the past I attended community college part time but didn't graduate. I recently graduated from a college of hypnotherapy in Los Angeles, which, while accredited, did not result in any sort of degree. I have always been interested in the medical field, but having a child at such a young age made it very difficult for me to achieve the career I wanted. Now that my daughter is school age, I am ready to go back and pursue a career in medicine.

I get worried when I think about the long path ahead of me. Cost of living in CA is outrageous, so I am living at home with my parents. I hate to think about living with them for another 10 years while I put myself through school. I am engaged, and my fiance is currently in school to work toward his future career as a fire fighter. It is scary to think that we are both nowhere near financial stability, especially not in Orange County.

I want to say that attempting medical school will be worth it in the long run...but I worry. What if my fiance will get into his career within the next few years, and I wont get into a medical school in CA? What will happen if he has a great job here but I have no choice but to go to school out of state? I'm just wondering if it is even worth it. What should I do?
 
I am from southern CA. I am 24, I have a 4 year old daughter. In the past I attended community college part time but didn't graduate. I recently graduated from a college of hypnotherapy in Los Angeles, which, while accredited, did not result in any sort of degree. I have always been interested in the medical field, but having a child at such a young age made it very difficult for me to achieve the career I wanted. Now that my daughter is school age, I am ready to go back and pursue a career in medicine.

I get worried when I think about the long path ahead of me. Cost of living in CA is outrageous, so I am living at home with my parents. I hate to think about living with them for another 10 years while I put myself through school. I am engaged, and my fiance is currently in school to work toward his future career as a fire fighter. It is scary to think that we are both nowhere near financial stability, especially not in Orange County.

I want to say that attempting medical school will be worth it in the long run...but I worry. What if my fiance will get into his career within the next few years, and I wont get into a medical school in CA? What will happen if he has a great job here but I have no choice but to go to school out of state? I'm just wondering if it is even worth it. What should I do?
Is Carlifornia the only State to live in America? Haven't you seen immigrants leaving their home and dear ones moving to a new country finding a way out for themselves? There are other opportunities else where in this country if Carlifornia is too expensive. You have to sacrifice a lot to make this journey work out be ready ready to forego most things if being a doctor is what you really want. I'll advice to move to a different state get into a cheap 4 year institution and find a job while schooling. There are people from states you don't even heard of but they find themselves in Harvard, Columbia, and the rests. If med school isn't worth it then try the opposite. It's a choice and dedication. Don't expect to live a luxury life while going through school. Good luck my friend.
 
This is a discussion you need to be having with your husband, not strangers on the internet. Only the two of you can decide what's worth it.

Financial stability is an issue as there will be significant debt involved, both in finishing undergrad, applying to school, then medical school itself. Realistically yes, going to medical school will involve moving at least once, likely twice (first for medical school then again for residency, very possibly in two different states). We have some married couples at my school who figured it out; some moved together but at least one decided to live apart for the first years of school and travel to visit each other when possible. Worked for them, definitely won't work for all.

But again, this is something you and your husband need to sit down and have multiple serious talks about. Whatever you do or whether you decide to wait or whether you shelve plans, you both need to be on board.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably not. Medical school is not something you should consider when you have a SO trying to make his own path, plus a child in the mix, add in your financial concerns and likely having to move at some point...I would say this is not a timely life choice. You can work to change that, but right now, no
 
It sounds like you still have a lot of undergraduate coursework to do before you can even consider applying. Why don't you enroll full time and see how you handle semester after semester of studying. If you do well then you should consider it. Also, you should entertain your interests more by shadowing a variety of doctors. You won't know unless you try. I'm 28 and just got accepted so don't let age hold you back. Best of luck to you 🙂
 
You're too far away from medical school for this thread to be taken seriously. Go back to community college. It's step one.
 
Thank you to those who gave polite advice. And to the others who tried their best to make me feel small, oh well. I am where I am in life and I am the kind of person who needs to plan things well in advance. Telling me that I am "too far away from medical school for this thread to be taken seriously" is rude, especially when I am simply doing research. I know several doctors who wish they had thought out their choice to go to medical school more seriously because in hindsight they would have chosen a different profession. I am sure I want to work in medicine, but I am still researching. I am gathering info, I thought this community would be helpful and give me a better idea because most of you have gone through the experience yourselves. Guess not.