Wondering what to expect when shadowing a pathologist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SouthernGent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been given the opportunity to shadow a forensic pathologist for a couple of days at the end of the month. I have some general ideas on what to expect, but not much after that. Any advice on what all to expect and what to do from those of you who have shadowed forensic pathologists or other pathologists before would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A forensic autopsy can be really nasty because the body may have been sitting for a while. Like really nasty. It's really the only kind of pathology which is like that. There may be autopsy techs that do a lot of it though, depends on the place.

Otherwise it's likely to be looking at microscope slides (probably with the residents if it's at a med school on one of those multi scopes) and watching him fill out paperwork. Forensics guys and ladies have to do all sorts of extra legal stuff, but you probably won't get to see him deposed or have to testify. Depositions suck because the other attorney is trying to totally discredit you, so they can be complete jerks and question your whole competence as a human being. At a jury trial everyone is much more civil, because a jury doesn't like an ahole either.

Let us know how it goes though, I've only worked a tiny bit with forensic path, so have a tiny sample/view.

Just be prepared for the sight and smell of contents of the GI tract. Autopsy is otherwise fascinating.

Reactions: 1 user
have fun staring at histology slides

Bring a small tubs of Vicks Vaporub. You'll thank me later.

DO NOT bring any Vicks Vaporub... The smell may help for a few minutes, but Vicks will help open up your nasal passages and the autopsy suite will smell far worse once the menthol scent fades.

As @alamo4 said, you'll likely get to observe a few forensic autopsies during your week there. I hope it you are shadowing in a region that is still fairly cool or you may get to see a few decomps... Aside from the more disgusting aspects of forensic pathology, you'll likely get to sit in on morning conference, which outlines the circumstances of the day's cases, as well as afternoon conference, where preliminary findings are reviewed with the attendings (assuming this office participates in residency and/or fellowship programs). You'll also likely get to observe the physicians as they examine their histology slides and dictate their cases at the end of the day. Some offices also have various other conferences, including neuropathology and cardiopathology conferences that focus on extended examination of said organs that have been fixed in formalin for ~2 weeks.

It's an exciting, yet smelly, specialty to observe, but the disgusting parts are very manageable. Have fun shadowing!

I also recommend asking the pathologist to let you spend some time in the gross room where the assistants/techs? receive and dissect the gross specimens. Then follow the specimen as it is frozen, sliced, then finally looked at under the microscope. The histology is kinda boring without much background but if you can see the specimen from where it is cut, it makes everything so much more comprehensible. It's super cool!