Woo-Hoo!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhineasGage

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What a relief.... matched for Prelim Medicine. Was I the only one who was more worried about matching for PGY-1 than Neuro? Those parades of Derm/Rads/Ophth automatons at the interviews were more than a little intimidating. Plus the whole process seemed a little arbitrary, esp. when one compares the wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am 20 minute IM interviews with the touchy-feely-all-day Neuro festivities.

Cheers to all,

PG :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats. I also found out that I have a job next year. Now I just have to find out where... I'm torn. I'd like to stay where I am now for another year (much cheaper, wife has a good job, etc), but it would be nice to go to the same school where I matched for neuro too... I guess it is out of my hands.

I agree on the Derm/Rads/Ophtho thing. They all walked around like god's gift to preliminary medicine. I think we have some built-in advantage, as programs know that Neuro people will probably be genuinely interested in IM, whereas some of the other specialties (rads especially) would just be doing their time in hell before retiring to the dark room and comfy chair.

GopherBrain said:
Congrats. I also found out that I have a job next year. Now I just have to find out where... I'm torn.

I hear ya. While I was willing to make some geographic compromises for my Neuro residency, I wasn't willing to make such sacrifices for prelim med. I only ranked/interviewed at programs in a narrow geographic region close to my sig other. Therefore, I'm not sweating Thursday... but this morning -- let's just say I had no need for coffeee to wake up!

Good luck to all,
PG ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I was sweating the prelim year, only ranked two programs! I'm glad I matched!

Congrats everyone! Isn't it nice to know we'll have a salary in a few months? :)

Congrats people!

By the way, what's with the unfilled Neuro progams in this match? are there Neuro spots which go through NRMP?

drgirl said:
Congrats people!

By the way, what's with the unfilled Neuro progams in this match? are there Neuro spots which go through NRMP?

I'm pretty unsure about this, but could they be reserved neuro prelim spots? I don't think the programs listed as unfilled in the gen residency forum were listed as unfilled through SFmatch.

No, these unmatched spots are completely different from the ones unmatched through NEMP. Very strange--there are some good programs too, like UVA and Cleveland Clinic.
Anyone know what these spots are about?

I hope everyone got the PGY1 spot they wanted. I'm headed to UCSF, same as for neurology. I'm a bit apprehensive. During the prelim year info session, someone asked the medicine PD about the program's reputation for being tough. He said, and I quote, "You just have to ask yourself, is the juice worth the squeeze?" Here's hoping they don't squeeze me too hard. :D

GopherBrain said:
I He said, and I quote, "You just have to ask yourself, is the juice worth the squeeze?" Here's hoping they don't squeeze me too hard. :D

"DO IT FOR ME!!!! IF YOU DON'T F*CK HER, I'LL KILL MYSELF!!"

heh what a great movie.