WOOHOO I got a job offer!

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2000
Wisconsin
    Yeah buddy! DC here I come! (Or atleast, Northern Virginia suburbs). Still have one more interview before I decide. Ah, as DocWagner said, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Q

About the Ads

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Dec 6, 2000
    Wisconsin
      Thanks all.

Still have one more interview to go... then I gotta figure out this whole contract negotiation thing. I'm thinking of asking for a little bit more per hour, but dont' wnat to sound like an ass or greedy. I think I'm just going to say (assuming I still want to work at this first place and not the place I have to interview at) "If you up my hourly rate by $7.00, I will sign the contract right now."

Q

colforbinMD

"Thanks, I'm very funny"
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Oct 8, 2003
      Somewhere between BMore and DC
      kevindominica.tripod.com
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        QuinnNSU said:
        Yeah buddy! DC here I come! (Or atleast, Northern Virginia suburbs). Still have one more interview before I decide. Ah, as DocWagner said, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Q
        A) Congrats! Or rather, Strong work! :)
        B)No offence to Docwagner but I believe it was Timuk3 who said that first
        C)Everyone who visits SDN EM more then once a month needs to post a congrats and thanks to Quinn. Not cause he needs to hear it but because pathology is still kicking our butt! :mad:

spyderdoc

Moderator Emeritus
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Gold Member
        Jul 30, 2002
        SF Bay Area
        1. Attending Physician
          First off, CONGRATS! :thumbup:

Secondly, tell us more about this job....Type of group, pt load, etc....Well, I guess you can wait until you make yor final decision, However, if you are having a tough time deciding, feel free to post up. You know we all like to put in our $0.02......

What a great feeling to feel "wanted", huh....Now for the fun part...Filling out your licensing, credentialling, and malpractice forms..... Quite the painful/tedious process....But you better get on it soon, for it can take months to get through it all....Then, just when you think you are on the home stretch, you got to start house hunting, finding a mover, packing, etc.....

Good luck!
          Mark

About the Ads

margaritaboy

15+ Year Member
          Apr 13, 2003
          The Desert
          1. Attending Physician
            Congratulations. Some of our third years have also signed contracts or received offers. It is hard to believe that in less than a year from now I may be doing the same.

I'd like to add that it has been helpful to read about jobs, contracts, and group types on some of Quinn's & DocB's threads. Keep it up you guys. :thumbup:

About the Ads

docB

Chronically painful
            Moderator Emeritus
            Verified Expert
            15+ Year Member
            Gold Member
            Nov 27, 2002
            Las Vegas, NV
            1. Attending Physician
              unoriginal said:
              my brother was just offerred ~$90/hr. Is this good?
              It could be good but only if it includes med mal, good benefits, some paid vacation, education reimbursement, etc. In other words it sounds low but if the extras add up it might be a reasonable deal.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
              15+ Year Member
              Apr 10, 2003
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                docB said:
                It could be good but only if it includes med mal, good benefits, some paid vacation, education reimbursement, etc. In other words it sounds low but if the extras add up it might be a reasonable deal.

how much is med mal typically (what range)? Is it pretty variable state to state?

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
                Moderator Emeritus
                Verified Expert
                15+ Year Member
                Jul 24, 2000
                1. Attending Physician
                  congrats Q!! :thumbup:

i'll be sure to put "go to Dr. Quinn if you have worsening symptoms or any other concerns" as the final line on all my clinic visits so i don;t have to worry about them being mismanaged :D :cool:

--your friendly neighborhood celebratory caveman

docB

Chronically painful
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  Verified Expert
                  15+ Year Member
                  Gold Member
                  Nov 27, 2002
                  Las Vegas, NV
                  1. Attending Physician
                    fun8stuff said:
                    how much is med mal typically (what range)? Is it pretty variable state to state?
                    To tell the truth I'm not even sure any more. The company I work for is self insured. Back when I was looking it was 30-50K a year but it does vary by region.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
                    15+ Year Member
                    Apr 10, 2003
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      docB said:
                      To tell the truth I'm not even sure any more. The company I work for is self insured. Back when I was looking it was 30-50K a year but it does vary by region.

wow, that really is ridiculous. i guess it could be worse, but i think i will hope to find someone that will pay it for me.

About the Ads

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      10+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Dec 6, 2000
                      Wisconsin
                        Congrats edinOH!

Thanks for all the kind words, all.

I haven't signed the contract yet, as I still have one more interview to go (and perhaps two). I should know where I'll be by Thanksgiving.

Q

oudoc08

Please pass the gas...
                        7+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Mar 12, 2004
                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                          Idiopathic said:
                          Please stop. Please. This is just ridiculous.

Average salary of 300K? Not a chance.

Sorry, I meant to say salary + benefits package = ~300k. My bad. Avg. salary per hiim is apx. 250k. $120/hr x 40hr x 52 wk.

Either way, I didn't think it was that ridiculous. If you want to work four 12's for awhile to pay some bills, 8 extra hrs a week gets you 300k + benefits. Not bad for still having 3 days off.

In case you still want to argue, (which I anticipate), you are more than welcome to email with our EMIG advisor, a practiciing ER doc at Baptist who gave us the above figures for new hires.

FoughtFyr

15+ Year Member
                          Platinum Member
                          Mar 19, 2003
                          1. Post Doc
                            Idiopathic said:
                            Please stop. Please. This is just ridiculous.

Average salary of 300K? Not a chance.

I "know" the salaries of 5 friends and/or former residency colleagues, each of whom entered private practice, community based non academic last year. Their salary offers ranged from the low (and not accepted) of 250K to the high of 325K for 12 g-d 12 hour shifts per month!!! (Granted, in a wealthy area with a fantastic payer mix and a low med mal state - and yes, he took it). Most ended up in the 275-290K range. Given 3-4% per annum raises in start salary - 300K is not beyond the pale at all. I think the latest ACEP resource guide (traditionally a little "behind the times") has the average starting above 250K in most areas of the country.

- H

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
                            15+ Year Member
                            Gold Member
                            Apr 21, 2003
                            Here
                            1. Attending Physician
                              Every major survey source has average income ~200K, 250K with all benefits included. While Im not arguing that you all have anecdotal evidence of "someone" making 300K plus a year, I also know a pain doc who makes 750K, and yet I dont claim that to be the realistic salary goal.

Not to harp on it because I also know a friend who started locally at 250K. Honestly, do you guys believe the average starting salary to be over 300? You are certainly closer to the subject than I am. Maybe I picked the wrong specialty ;)

FoughtFyr

15+ Year Member
                              Platinum Member
                              Mar 19, 2003
                              1. Post Doc
                                Idiopathic said:
                                Every major survey source has average income ~200K, 250K with all benefits included. While Im not arguing that you all have anecdotal evidence of "someone" making 300K plus a year, I also know a pain doc who makes 750K, and yet I dont claim that to be the realistic salary goal.

Not to harp on it because I also know a friend who started locally at 250K. Honestly, do you guys believe the average starting salary to be over 300? You are certainly closer to the subject than I am. Maybe I picked the wrong specialty ;)

250K plus benefits was the lowest offer I heard from graduates I knew (from different Midwest programs) last year. That offer was refused. Everyone of the five I know well enough to inquire regarding salary are claim to be at 275K plus benefits or higher. That said, each is in private group practice, no academic appointments.

- H

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                10+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Dec 6, 2000
                                Wisconsin
                                  fpr85 said:
                                  goddamn?

By the way, what part of No. VA? Job offer with one of the iNOVA hospitals?
                                  Don't want to say, yet, beause i haven't signed the contract yet and still have some more interviews to go, but yes I did interview at an iNOVA hospital.

You in nova?

Q

About the Ads
                                  This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  7. This thread is locked.