WOOHOO I got a job offer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah buddy! DC here I come! (Or atleast, Northern Virginia suburbs). Still have one more interview before I decide. Ah, as DocWagner said, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Q

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks all.

Still have one more interview to go... then I gotta figure out this whole contract negotiation thing. I'm thinking of asking for a little bit more per hour, but dont' wnat to sound like an ass or greedy. I think I'm just going to say (assuming I still want to work at this first place and not the place I have to interview at) "If you up my hourly rate by $7.00, I will sign the contract right now."

Q

Congrats, on whichever way it goes! Sounds like there is no bad outcome here. Cheers; you've earned it.

Oh, and
quinn said:
Chief Resident PGY 3.0 NT ME XP Pro
Nerd. ;)

QuinnNSU said:
Yeah buddy! DC here I come! (Or atleast, Northern Virginia suburbs). Still have one more interview before I decide. Ah, as DocWagner said, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Q
A) Congrats! Or rather, Strong work! :)
B)No offence to Docwagner but I believe it was Timuk3 who said that first
C)Everyone who visits SDN EM more then once a month needs to post a congrats and thanks to Quinn. Not cause he needs to hear it but because pathology is still kicking our butt! :mad:

Congrats!

It's good to know that there is a light at the end of this tunnel thing and it just might involve the ability to pay off all these damn loans!

Really, congrats!

Take care,
Jeff

QuinnNSU said:

Q
Good to hear, Quinn. Congrast!

QuinnNSU said:

Q

What's the starting salary?

First off, CONGRATS! :thumbup:

Secondly, tell us more about this job....Type of group, pt load, etc....Well, I guess you can wait until you make yor final decision, However, if you are having a tough time deciding, feel free to post up. You know we all like to put in our $0.02......

What a great feeling to feel "wanted", huh....Now for the fun part...Filling out your licensing, credentialling, and malpractice forms..... Quite the painful/tedious process....But you better get on it soon, for it can take months to get through it all....Then, just when you think you are on the home stretch, you got to start house hunting, finding a mover, packing, etc.....

Good luck!
Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, double post (pad) ;)

Congrats!!!! Now say good-bye to the nice warm weather.... :-D

Congratulations. Some of our third years have also signed contracts or received offers. It is hard to believe that in less than a year from now I may be doing the same.

I'd like to add that it has been helpful to read about jobs, contracts, and group types on some of Quinn's & DocB's threads. Keep it up you guys. :thumbup:

Congrats.. I cant wait for my time to come.. Seems so far away.. and oh BTW where is my interview offer?

+pad+

Congratulations Quinn! It's getting colder up here, but D.C. is wonderful.
Thanks for all your help over the years (especially coming from a D.O.)...let us know some of the details about the new job! :)

PublicHealth said:
What's the starting salary?
my brother was just offerred ~$90/hr. Is this good?

It's pretty good at McDonald's. I'd say it's low end for EM, depending on practice setting.

unoriginal said:
my brother was just offerred ~$90/hr. Is this good?
It could be good but only if it includes med mal, good benefits, some paid vacation, education reimbursement, etc. In other words it sounds low but if the extras add up it might be a reasonable deal.

I've asked you for advice numerous times in my med school career even though I'm not going into EM. Thanks for taking the time to respond each time.

Congrats Quinn. I just accepted a job myself.

Can't believe this residency gig is almost over.

docB said:
It could be good but only if it includes med mal, good benefits, some paid vacation, education reimbursement, etc. In other words it sounds low but if the extras add up it might be a reasonable deal.

how much is med mal typically (what range)? Is it pretty variable state to state?

congrats Q!! :thumbup:

i'll be sure to put "go to Dr. Quinn if you have worsening symptoms or any other concerns" as the final line on all my clinic visits so i don;t have to worry about them being mismanaged :D :cool:

--your friendly neighborhood celebratory caveman

fun8stuff said:
how much is med mal typically (what range)? Is it pretty variable state to state?
To tell the truth I'm not even sure any more. The company I work for is self insured. Back when I was looking it was 30-50K a year but it does vary by region.

docB said:
To tell the truth I'm not even sure any more. The company I work for is self insured. Back when I was looking it was 30-50K a year but it does vary by region.

wow, that really is ridiculous. i guess it could be worse, but i think i will hope to find someone that will pay it for me.

For comparison, in OK, med mal is about 24k/yr. (per our EMIG mentor). and avg. salary is 300k/yr.

Congrats edinOH!

Thanks for all the kind words, all.

I haven't signed the contract yet, as I still have one more interview to go (and perhaps two). I should know where I'll be by Thanksgiving.

Q

Idiopathic said:
Please stop. Please. This is just ridiculous.

Average salary of 300K? Not a chance.

Sorry, I meant to say salary + benefits package = ~300k. My bad. Avg. salary per hiim is apx. 250k. $120/hr x 40hr x 52 wk.

Either way, I didn't think it was that ridiculous. If you want to work four 12's for awhile to pay some bills, 8 extra hrs a week gets you 300k + benefits. Not bad for still having 3 days off.

In case you still want to argue, (which I anticipate), you are more than welcome to email with our EMIG advisor, a practiciing ER doc at Baptist who gave us the above figures for new hires.

Idiopathic said:
Please stop. Please. This is just ridiculous.

Average salary of 300K? Not a chance.

I "know" the salaries of 5 friends and/or former residency colleagues, each of whom entered private practice, community based non academic last year. Their salary offers ranged from the low (and not accepted) of 250K to the high of 325K for 12 g-d 12 hour shifts per month!!! (Granted, in a wealthy area with a fantastic payer mix and a low med mal state - and yes, he took it). Most ended up in the 275-290K range. Given 3-4% per annum raises in start salary - 300K is not beyond the pale at all. I think the latest ACEP resource guide (traditionally a little "behind the times") has the average starting above 250K in most areas of the country.

- H

oudoc08 said:
For comparison, in OK, med mal is about 24k/yr. (per our EMIG mentor). and avg. salary is 300k/yr.

I'm an OU grad myself and my job is in OKC.

Your numbers are pretty close.

Every major survey source has average income ~200K, 250K with all benefits included. While Im not arguing that you all have anecdotal evidence of "someone" making 300K plus a year, I also know a pain doc who makes 750K, and yet I dont claim that to be the realistic salary goal.

Not to harp on it because I also know a friend who started locally at 250K. Honestly, do you guys believe the average starting salary to be over 300? You are certainly closer to the subject than I am. Maybe I picked the wrong specialty ;)

Idiopathic said:
Every major survey source has average income ~200K, 250K with all benefits included. While Im not arguing that you all have anecdotal evidence of "someone" making 300K plus a year, I also know a pain doc who makes 750K, and yet I dont claim that to be the realistic salary goal.

Not to harp on it because I also know a friend who started locally at 250K. Honestly, do you guys believe the average starting salary to be over 300? You are certainly closer to the subject than I am. Maybe I picked the wrong specialty ;)

250K plus benefits was the lowest offer I heard from graduates I knew (from different Midwest programs) last year. That offer was refused. Everyone of the five I know well enough to inquire regarding salary are claim to be at 275K plus benefits or higher. That said, each is in private group practice, no academic appointments.

- H

goddamn?

By the way, what part of No. VA? Job offer with one of the iNOVA hospitals?

Congrats to Quinn and everyone else! Please keep the advice and stories coming.

fpr85 said:
goddamn?

By the way, what part of No. VA? Job offer with one of the iNOVA hospitals?
Don't want to say, yet, beause i haven't signed the contract yet and still have some more interviews to go, but yes I did interview at an iNOVA hospital.

You in nova?

Q