Woohoo!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b*rizzle

Master of Useless Info
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sooo excited!! I just got hired for a job at Target pharmacy!!! :D I need to shout it from the rooftops because I'm so happy to be moving on from Eckerd!!

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations!

b*rizzle said:
I'm sooo excited!! I just got hired for a job at Target pharmacy!!! :D I need to shout it from the rooftops because I'm so happy to be moving on from Eckerd!!
Enjoy shopping too!:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
And I thought you were so happy about making a 99% on the PCAT!

hehehe Eckerd sux? I hate Super D! Wish I could be somewhere else but Super D pays me well, maybe a lil better than other pharmacy store, considering i'm not even certified! Anyhoo, good luck with your job!

CONGRATS!! You completely deserve it!! :)

That's awesome, b*rizzle--thanks for sharing. It's always nice to log on to the forum and read good news. I'm doing my interning at a Target and LOVE IT! Best of luck! :thumbup:
Asor

b*rizzle said:

that's awesome! congrats!!

i'm still waiting for my pharm tech license to work at a hospital. the state board of pharmacy says it will take 6-8 wks to receive my license.

may i ask you what are the compensations at target? do you get discount if you shop there as an employee? i love shopping at target... ...

BiTurboBoiRx said:
that's awesome! congrats!!

i'm still waiting for my pharm tech license to work at a hospital. the state board of pharmacy says it will take 6-8 wks to receive my license.

may i ask you what are the compensations at target? do you get discount if you shop there as an employee? i love shopping at target... ...

I'm not sure about what the compensation is. The pharmacist said that it was up to the HR peeps but he doesn't think that I'll make any less than my current pay rate, which is 8.25/hour.

I do get an employee discount...I think it's only like 10% but a discount at Target is a discount at Target!!

Thanks for all the congrats guys!! This is why I love SDN! :love:

Congrats :) So is Target a lot better than Eckerd? I'm applying to pharm tech jobs everywhere but it would be helpful to know more about the differences between chain store pharmacies.

I've never worked for Eckerd, but I have worked for Kroger's and Wal-mart, and I currently work at Target. None of these other places hold a candle to Target. I don't want to do retail ultimately, but working at Target has made me reconsider that to some degree or at least consider doing a few weekends a month in retail in addition to whatever position I ultimately choose. Good luck to you, and hopefully when you start pharm school, you can stay on to be an intern...the pay is very good and the hours very flexible!

OSURxgirl said:
I've never worked for Eckerd, but I have worked for Kroger's and Wal-mart, and I currently work at Target. None of these other places hold a candle to Target. I don't want to do retail ultimately, but working at Target has made me reconsider that to some degree or at least consider doing a few weekends a month in retail in addition to whatever position I ultimately choose. Good luck to you, and hopefully when you start pharm school, you can stay on to be an intern...the pay is very good and the hours very flexible!

I'm very excited about it...but there's a slight damper on the celebration:

I got back from work tonight around 11 and listened to my answering machine. This is what it said (more or less):

"Hey Rebecca this is the pharmacist from Target...just wanted to let you know that if the HR people don't call you by tomorrow then you shouldn't worry; they're a little backlogged right now...oh yeah and I talked to the general store manager about hours and...umm...well as you know we are a new store and we'll have to see what we can work out...but anyway don't worry if you don't hear from the HR people soon, they'll call early next week if not tomorrow...have a good night..."

So at the interview he told me he's got one 40-hour-per-week tech, who's never had any pharmacy experience but used to do third-party billing at Duke Hospital. He told me that this was all they were getting to start with, but it was his impression that he'd be able to get me my 20 hours a week. He said I will learn how to do ordering and their inventory management, and that I will be able to "assist" with counseling (i.e. hover and listen), and that I will be needed to help train the other tech.

Now for those of you who have helped open new stores (or know of folks who have), what should I interpret this to mean? I've already given my 2 weeks' notice at Eckerd. Is this: 1) okay we'll have to split hours between you two for now, or 2) yeah so you won't actually be starting until our script volume picks up?

Thoughts? I'm kind of concerned.

I'm calling him tomorrow, by the way, but I want to see what y'all think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm in similar situation too......

I got interview at Walgreens...everything went well and the recruiter called me 4 weeks after the interview..and i got my drug test done...It's been three days now..and I still haven't heard anything from her....i'm really woried...... :scared:

chuks_pharmD said:
I think I'm in similar situation too......

I got interview at Walgreens...everything went well and the recruiter called me 4 weeks after the interview..and i got my drug test done...It's been three days now..and I still haven't heard anything from her....i'm really woried...... :scared:

I know how you feel...the more I think about it the more I start to worry...which I'm sure if I find out that I won't be starting any time soon will rapidly turn to panic...because I will look like a huge a$$ having to eat crow at Eckerd...

This guy hired me on the spot. Said that he was really excited to find me, and was looking forward to great things. Now I'm wondering if he was a bit too zealous?? But why would they even let him interview me if they knew he wasn't going to be able to offer me a job? (My app had to go thru the general store people first.)

If there was a "cry" emoticon, I'd use it too: :( :( :(

b*rizzle said:
I know how you feel...the more I think about it the more I start to worry...which I'm sure if I find out that I won't be starting any time soon will rapidly turn to panic...because I will look like a huge a$$ having to eat crow at Eckerd...

This guy hired me on the spot. Said that he was really excited to find me, and was looking forward to great things. Now I'm wondering if he was a bit too zealous?? But why would they even let him interview me if they knew he wasn't going to be able to offer me a job? (My app had to go thru the general store people first.)

If there was a "cry" emoticon, I'd use it too: :( :( :(

seems like we both are in a same boat....Let's just hope for the best....

Ya....I mean why would he even take ur interview if they didn't want to hire u, right??

they left u a message saying that they're busy..."but don't worry we'll call u" ....to me it sems like they're serious about hiring u & will call u...SO DON'T WORRY........ ;)

Has it ever happend before that....U get the drug test done but never get the job..( Unles ofcourse the result was positive, which i think in my case is not gonna hapen)......????

Let us know if u hear from the eckerd people....and I'll let u know if i hear anything from my recruiter.... :thumbup:

chuks_pharmD said:
seems like we both are in a same boat....Let's just hope for the best....

Ya....I mean why would he even take ur interview if they didn't want to hire u, right??

they left u a message saying that they're busy..."but don't worry we'll call u" ....to me it sems like they're serious about hiring u & will call u...SO DON'T WORRY........ ;)

Has it ever happend before that....U get the drug test done but never get the job..( Unles ofcourse the result was positive, which i think in my case is not gonna hapen)......????

Let us know if u hear from the eckerd people....and I'll let u know if i hear anything from my recruiter.... :thumbup:

It's actually the folks at Target I'm waiting to hear back from. The pharmacist "hired" me, but it's not official until HR processes all the goodies. (But it was damned official enough for me to put my notice in at the old job.) The HR people have to process my app materials, enter me into their database, and set up a drug test. He said obviously employment is pending the drug test, but since my only drug of choice is alcohol, I'm not too worried.

I've never taken a drug test for a job and then not gotten it.

I'm just a bit panicky that he may have overstepped his bounds by telling me this...I mean I will definitely take reduced hours at the new place, just because it will mean I won't have to drive 40 minutes each way to and from Eckerd. I'm so excited about Target, because they're way into the progressive pharmacy thing and that's mucho awesome.

I hope there's not an inevitable shoot down.

b*rizzle said:
Now for those of you who have helped open new stores (or know of folks who have), what should I interpret this to mean? I've already given my 2 weeks' notice at Eckerd. Is this: 1) okay we'll have to split hours between you two for now, or 2) yeah so you won't actually be starting until our script volume picks up?

Thoughts? I'm kind of concerned.

I'm calling him tomorrow, by the way, but I want to see what y'all think.

I called the pharmacist. Turns out it's a variation of #2. He doesn't even know if he'll get the hours for me yet.

I'm really depressed.

b*rizzle said:
I called the pharmacist. Turns out it's a variation of #2. He doesn't even know if he'll get the hours for me yet.

I'm really depressed.

b*rizzle, relax man. The fall/winter cold season is right around the corner.

#2 might not be that long of a delay...

crossjb said:
b*rizzle, relax man. The fall/winter cold season is right around the corner.

#2 might not be that long of a delay...

It is when you tell your other job you're leaving.

Dang B, that's a hose job!

/comfort

I probably shouldn't say anything more than that, corporate america is on my short list to blow up today... :smuggrin: :mad:

I hope it all works out briz.
will you be working at the new target near southpoint mall?
Do you like working in retail? I presently work at walmart and was wondering how it was over at target.

PHARMDhope2b said:
I hope it all works out briz.
will you be working at the new target near southpoint mall?
Do you like working in retail? I presently work at walmart and was wondering how it was over at target.

Hopefully that's the Target I'll be working at. I'll let you know how Target is if I ever get there!! :thumbup:

Believe it or not, I do actually enjoy working retail

b*rizzle said:
Hopefully that's the Target I'll be working at. I'll let you know how Target is if I ever get there!! :thumbup:

Believe it or not, I do actually enjoy working retail

I just got a phone call from the HR fellow at Target -- a good sign!! I'm meeting with him tonight. I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes (since I'm not about to voluntarily work on my physics lab report)!

b*rizzle said:
I just got a phone call from the HR fellow at Target -- a good sign!! I'm meeting with him tonight. I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes (since I'm not about to voluntarily work on my physics lab report)!

I GOT THE JOB AND OMFG IT PAYS $12.00/HOUR!!! :D :eek: :cool:

b*rizzle said:

Are you serious? Dang, thats tight!!
Its surely more that what im getting paid.lol
Congrats man.

PHARMDhope2b said:
Are you serious? Dang, thats tight!!
Its surely more that what im getting paid.lol
Congrats man.

For real. Super Target is where it's at. I love the job and I haven't even started yet. :cool:

b*rizzle said:

Hey I was thinking of going from Publix to Target... how did you manage $12/hr??? Are you certified? How much experience do you have? And did you tell them you wanted $12? Congrats!

ndearwater said:
Hey I was thinking of going from Publix to Target... how did you manage $12/hr??? Are you certified? How much experience do you have? And did you tell them you wanted $12? Congrats!

Yes, I am a CPhT.

I have 10 months' experience. The other tech has no experience and is not certified. I'm supposed to help train her, whatever that means since we'll all be new.

I only told them I wanted to match my Eckerd's pay, which is 8.25/hour. Apparently that's peanuts for Target. But this isn't the first time I've heard of mass merchandisers paying such rates.

This is how the conversation went:

HR guy: "Well, we'd like to offer you this position for the pharmacy technician...and this is what we'd like to pay you *writes $12/hr on page*"
Me: "Well, I think I'd like to accept."

The main reason I'm so excited is that this job is 10 minutes away and they're guaranteeing the hours (all though the 12 bucks an hour doesn't hurt, either). My current job is 40 minutes away and I am lucky if I get 15 hours a week. (We have 7 techs and 90 hours to split between them...you do the math)

Cool! I'm not certified but I have 3 years of experience at Publix. Unfortunately it seems like the Target near my house is soooo slow at the pharmacy :( I doubt they can use anyone but I'll check it out! $12 is great! I make $9.25 at Publix after all that time.... What state are you from.... maybe Florida is a lower payscale. Yeah and it doesn't hurt living 10 minutes away with gas prices outta control! :laugh:

ndearwater said:
Cool! I'm not certified but I have 3 years of experience at Publix. Unfortunately it seems like the Target near my house is soooo slow at the pharmacy :( I doubt they can use anyone but I'll check it out! $12 is great! I make $9.25 at Publix after all that time.... What state are you from.... maybe Florida is a lower payscale. Yeah and it doesn't hurt living 10 minutes away with gas prices outta control! :laugh:

I'm in Chapel Hill, NC.

I used to live in Fla. Gotta love good ol' Publix :cool:

I bet certification would bump you up quite a bit.

Certification gets you an extra dollar- which is decent. I should have done it a long time ago. But now with the PCAT and application process I don't want to think about another exam :) Plus I don't think I have a chance to take the PTCB test for quite awhile. I think November deadline is probably up.
I am actually waiting to hear back about a job with a mental health facility. I have a degree in Psychology and the job pays significantly more ($13-14/hr)than Publix. If I'm planning on going to pharmacy school in August I need to start makin' some cheese to pay for books and all that good stuff. But if there was a way I could make $12/hr and stay with pharmacy as a technician I would do it.

ndearwater said:
Certification gets you an extra dollar- which is decent. I should have done it a long time ago. But now with the PCAT and application process I don't want to think about another exam :) Plus I don't think I have a chance to take the PTCB test for quite awhile. I think November deadline is probably up.
I am actually waiting to hear back about a job with a mental health facility. I have a degree in Psychology and the job pays significantly more ($13-14/hr)than Publix. If I'm planning on going to pharmacy school in August I need to start makin' some cheese to pay for books and all that good stuff. But if there was a way I could make $12/hr and stay with pharmacy as a technician I would do it.

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. :cool:

I'm so glad I got the PCAT done a long time ago.

Of course at the time I took it, I thought it was the worst idea I'd ever come up with.

Yeah, I took the PCAT last year and got an 86, now I'm retaking it. I was happy with my score then but I didn't get accepted last year so I guess I have to do whatever I can to strengthen my app. I'm sooo glad this isn't my first PCAT- I just have to do some review and hopefully learn a little more calculus. I really hate calculus!

ndearwater said:
Yeah, I took the PCAT last year and got an 86, now I'm retaking it. I was happy with my score then but I didn't get accepted last year so I guess I have to do whatever I can to strengthen my app. I'm sooo glad this isn't my first PCAT- I just have to do some review and hopefully learn a little more calculus. I really hate calculus!

Where did you apply? An 86 is really really good. :confused:

I'm sure you'll knock it out this time though, for real...,

what a difference a week makes huh? :)

crossjb said:
what a difference a week makes huh? :)

I have a Tech job with Rite Aid lined but holy crap Target. There are two Targets in my city. I've worked for both as customer service. I've quite one without letting them know, and got fired from the other. This sucks cause i don't know if i can come back to work for them being that i left them like i did. damn, 12 bucks plus the dollar raise after you get certified is pretty sweet. But thats nothing for Target since they bring in about 250k-500k/night in the stores i worked.

b*rizzle said:
Where did you apply? An 86 is really really good. :confused:

I'm sure you'll knock it out this time though, for real...,

I'm applying at Shenandoah, Mercer, South, Nova, UF, Wingate, UNC Chapel Hill, Howard University and Samford... last year I applied at PBA but my Science GPA is too low and I don't think they'll even look at me.
I appreciate the encouragement :) I'll be happy when the PCAT is over for good! :cool:

undertow said:
damn, 12 bucks plus the dollar raise after you get certified is pretty sweet. But thats nothing for Target since they bring in about 250k-500k/night in the stores i worked.

I already am certified. :D But the pharmacist said that they do evaluations and reward you when you've earned it.

ndearwater: good luck!!! let me know how it goes, especially with UNC!! :cool:

b*rizzle said:

Congratulations b*rizzle! I hope that everything is improved from your old position and that the transition is smooth.

Chris

freshbeatschris said:
Congratulations b*rizzle! I hope that everything is improved from your old position and that the transition is smooth.

Chris

Thanks! I hope so too. I'm waiting to hear back and find out if I passed my drug test :rolleyes:

Speaking of....anyone know what the turnaround on those things usually is?

b*rizzle said:
Thanks! I hope so too. I'm waiting to hear back and find out if I passed my drug test :rolleyes:

Speaking of....anyone know what the turnaround on those things usually is?

they say 2-3 days, but it'll take about a week...

crossjb said:
they say 2-3 days, but it'll take about a week...

Yep...Agree...Mine took about a week to get the results back..

Finally I'll start my first day tomorrow :scared: :thumbup:

chuks_pharmD said:
Yep...Agree...Mine took about a week to get the results back..

Finally I'll start my first day tomorrow :scared: :thumbup:

Well I told Eckerd that I am leaving but I will not know what my last day is until they call me to set up orientation. I'm leaving on good terms...so they're being patient with me.

b*rizzle said:
Well I told Eckerd that I am leaving but I will not know what my last day is until they call me to set up orientation. I'm leaving on good terms...so they're being patient with me.

great going.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

leaving last employer with good impression always excellent......

I'm excited and scared/nervous for my job(firse few days of training)....excited becuase I'll be making $11 per hour and nervous because I have never worked in a pharmacy before....I have no experience what so ever......god knows what will happen to me......Hope everything goes well..... :rolleyes: