Worcester State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otguymass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am looking to apply to Worcester State for the 2013 year. Anyone else out there? It looks like a great program!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking to apply for admission In 2015. Wondering how competitive it is though....
Have you competed their prereqs?

I'm in my first year of the post-bach OT program at Worcester. Saw this topic and figure I would throw in my .02 about the program.

I graduated undergrad spring 2013, and the program started May 2013 (so I only got like, 10 days break between graduation and starting up the OT program.. that was rough). However, I'm VERY happy with my decision.

THE PROS:
1. It's cheap. Real cheap. Just for this Spring semester, the tuition was a TOTAL of about 3k. I have friends that are in private schools for OT and their school loan debt will total to around 50-60k. My total tuition is over half the cost of that.
2. WSU gives a lot of financial aid.
3. The passing rate for the boards exam is very high- I believe around 90%.
4. The course load is just enough that so far, I've been able to keep a part-time job to help keep the money coming in. Again, I know people that are in private school programs that don't have much time to keep up with a part time job (because their program is a little bit shorter so more intense).
5. Level 1 fieldwork is in all 4 settings (pediatrics, geriatrics, mental illness, phys dysfunction). Most programs usually just have level 1 fieldowork (80 hours) in ONE setting, over the course of 2 weeks (so 40 hour weeks). However, at WSU, each semester requires just 20 hours of fieldwork in a certain setting. The 4 semesters obviously have the total amount of level 1 fieldwork add up to the necessary 80 hours. This allows students to dip their toes into all types of settings, instead of just being thrown into one.
6. I really love my classmates and professors. There's about 22 of us. Some of the students just graduated undergrad, some are in their early 30s and married, and many come from non-science backgrounds. It's a cool mix.
7. I have winter breaks (Xmas through the month of January) and spring break (a week in March).

THE CONS:
1. The location- I now live in Worcester. Once I'm done with WSU, I'm getting the hell out of here. Just not a great city and not a great night life. Some areas are pretty ghetto. I do have a nice apartment, though.
2. The program is longer than most programs, which can both a con and a pro. I had summer classes of 2013, have Fall/Spring semester for both 13-14 and 14-15, Summer of 2015, have a Fall semester of 2015, and the last 6 months (Spring 2016) is 6 months of level 2 fieldwork (which can be done anywhere in the US). So it's 3 years. Most programs are 2.5 years. However, note that I do have 1 summer off (Summer of 2014, this upcoming one), which is a great opportunity to work and make money. Most OT programs go through the summer and winter.

So anyways, overall this was a good decision financially. WSU is a great bang for your buck, and I am confident that I will be prepared once all is said and done, and I won't be drowning in student loans. I highly recommend applying here, even if you have to pay a bit more if you are out of state. My GRE scores were pretty average, I had a decent GPA (3.4), and I didn't have many observation hours (just a total of 40- I don't think any are required to apply). I applied to a total of 7 schools (looking back, that was a waste of time and money). I picked WSU because it was the cheapest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi how2dresswell:

I was just wondering if I could pick your brain a little bit if thats ok?
I am a UMass student (junior) and am looking at basically every school in Mass. that offers an OT program.
WSU is on my radar, but when I found out the only prereq. I dont have for them is Neuroscience....I got scared.
This seems like a difficult course, and my school does not offer it...
Where did you end up taking this class?
Also, it looks like we have the exact same stats.....3.4 for me and about 30 hours so far with observation.
Where else did you end up applying if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks for all this info! :)

Hi how2dresswell:

I was just wondering if I could pick your brain a little bit if thats ok?
I am a UMass student (junior) and am looking at basically every school in Mass. that offers an OT program.
WSU is on my radar, but when I found out the only prereq. I dont have for them is Neuroscience....I got scared.
This seems like a difficult course, and my school does not offer it...
Where did you end up taking this class?
Also, it looks like we have the exact same stats.....3.4 for me and about 30 hours so far with observation.
Where else did you end up applying if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks for all this info! :)
I went to umass for undergrad! Majored in kinesiology.
What's your major? Kin required a course called "motor control", which was able to count for the neuroscience. When I took motor control (as a senior in the spring after i was already accepted into WSU), other non-kin students were in the class using it at an elective, so unless things have changed, you should be able to get into that course.
It's actually pretty easy if you get the male professor (I forget his name).
For some of the psych requirements for different schools, i had to take them online during winter breaks in order to have them in time. uMass didn't offer one i needed, so I took it online through north shore community college (just another option for you).

I applied to NYU (was initially waitlisted, found out i was accepted but the WSU progra, already started.... Would have been fun but it's so expensive), Springfield (rejected), Bay Path ( accepted, heard its a bad program though), AIC (accepted, again, their passing rate for the boards exam is low so wasn't a great option), USC (the #1 program in the US.. Rejected haha), and then WSU.
My umass roommate went to Springfield for OT, it's very intensive and she doesn't have much time for a part time job. She will have classes over this summer, too. It's a GREAT program but very expensive.

Looks like you are already on top of the ball if you're a junior, I didn't organize my schools and applications until i was a senior! Since you have more time, I would suggest continuing on doing observation hours, because the program is getting much more competitive. Some students in my class said they were rejected from the program once or twice before, but kept applying anyways. Try to do them in different settings (a school, in patient at a hospital, out patient, etc). And think about who you'll ask for letters of recommendation-for me, I used a professor I TAed for, another professor i had a close relation with, a past employer from a summer job, and an OT that I observed (when an OT recommendation was required). And if you haven't studied for the GREs yet, buy a test book. I took mine fall of senior year. I studied a lot, and the online practice tests helped greatly.

Good luck!! Let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy umass, I miss it SO much!

Ah thats so funny, I actually am a student at UMass Lowell, not Amherst unfortunately. That would have been so funny if we went to the same school!
I am majoring in Public Health.
In regards to the Neuroscience req. for WSU, Ive called up Northshore comm. college and Northern Essex Comm. college about taking it in the summer/winter breaks. They both said that it was 1) too early to see if itll be offered in the summer and 2) they only had things like bio, chem, and A&P which I have already taken and do not need. so it sounds like I may need to find a course thats equivalent to Neuroscience instead.
Other than that, I think I have all the other requirements I need for WSU though....Ill check and see if my school offers a motor control course. Hopefully it will since there's a PT program here. Thanks for that tip!
I am applying to BU & Tufts, but because of the cost hope I I get into a state school instead.
Im also looking at UNH and some schools out in California...?
Thanks for the info on Bay Path and AIC; those were both on my radar but looked sketchy and way too expensive!
I agree with you on Worcester not being very nice. My BF went to WPI, loved it.....as long as he didnt leave the campus :p
Thanks again for the help!