Word of Advice - "Take SDN With a Grain of Salt."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BowlingDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for the first time applicants (even the 10th time applicants)
This is for the sub 3.0-ers
The 17 DAT-ers
The recent college grads who finally know what the want to do with their life
The people who are always told to rethink their career path
This is for you,
Pre-Dental students and beyond.

I just wanted to say to take everything you read, hear, and ponder about getting into Dental School; take it with a grain of salt. When people give you advice on where to apply to, how many schools to apply to, how you need to improve your application, or tell you that you aren't good enough just remind yourself that you are good enough to do anything you want and you can become the best Dentist you set out to be! They want you to succeed and sometimes they have their best intentions in mind but what they are saying is probably what they wanted someone to tell them when they were where you are currently at. Just do you.

Ok- enough of my poor attempt at trying to make a motivational speech about SDN and others.

All I am trying to say is that if you want to be a Dentist, go for it! There will be financial problems and there will be stress but if you dedicate the time you will someday get accepted to Dental School.

I'm not the best at this but I want to end this post with probably the best advice I received after I expressed that if I get into Dental school this next cycle I will be 29 going on 30 by the time I am done with school.

"Do not think about how old you will be or how old you are, think about how you will feel once you are done with school. If you want to be a Dentist then become a Dentist. You turn 29 whether or not you go to Dental school and you do not want to look back on your 30th birthday and say that you wish you had gone to Dental School." - Some Periodontist who retired at 47 years old.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
I'm 31 and applying to dental school, I'll be 40+ if I go into OMFS, or at the earliest I'll be 35 as a GD. I don't consider those ages to be a super bad thing, but I recognize that It would be nice to have a few extra previous years to help pay off my incoming student loans :p

I don't feel old, besides, "OLD" is just a state of mind and action. I know a few people in their 70's and 80's that I struggle to think of them as "OLD" because they are lively and active and don't let their age define their character.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Preach.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is for the first time applicants (even the 10th time applicants)
This is for the sub 3.0-ers
The 17 DAT-ers
The recent college grads who finally know what the want to do with their life
The people who are always told to rethink their career path
This is for you,
Pre-Dental students and beyond.

I just wanted to say to take everything you read, hear, and ponder about getting into Dental School; take it with a grain of salt. When people give you advice on where to apply to, how many schools to apply to, how you need to improve your application, or tell you that you aren't good enough just remind yourself that you are good enough to do anything you want and you can become the best Dentist you set out to be! They want you to succeed and sometimes they have their best intentions in mind but what they are saying is probably what they wanted someone to tell them when they were where you are currently at. Just do you.

Ok- enough of my poor attempt at trying to make a motivational speech about SDN and others.

All I am trying to say is that if you want to be a Dentist, go for it! There will be financial problems and there will be stress but if you dedicate the time you will someday get accepted to Dental School.

I'm not the best at this but I want to end this post with probably the best advice I received after I expressed that if I get into Dental school this next cycle I will be 29 going on 30 by the time I am done with school.

"Do not think about how old you will be or how old you are, think about how you will feel once you are done with school. If you want to be a Dentist then become a Dentist. You turn 29 whether or not you go to Dental school and you do not want to look back on your 30th birthday and say that you wish you had gone to Dental School." - Some Periodontist who retired at 47 years old.

Anyone else started to read this intro as if it belonged in a music video?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Nothing wrong with going back to school later in life at all.

But I feel as if it is not wise of us to blindly give encouragement when it's obvious someone is better suited for another field.

When it comes to giving odds SDN is pretty optimistic! I always see keep working hard and you'll be fine. But then there are cases like my gf's sister.

She's applying for the 5th year and this is it. She's never had an interview. She's done a masters and taken her DAT FOUR times. She's 28 now and has no idea what she will do now because she was always told she'd get in somewhere, but she didn't.

Sometimes the nicest thing you can do is tell someone the truth, even if it's mean or demotivational.

Reactions: 6 users
no 4.33 and 30 DAT? No dental school brahhhh.

Reactions: 8 users
Take everything with a grain of salt except the good advice. For instance, going to the cheapest school possible. Furthermore, debt should be taken seriously but should also be taken with tequila, salt, and lime as prescribed.

Reactions: 4 users
Take everything with a grain of salt except the good advice. For instance, going to the cheapest school possible. Furthermore, debt should be taken seriously but should also be taken with tequila, salt, and lime as prescribed.

Did ..... did you just recommend taking a body shot!? Lolllllllll :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
My sentiments exactly. It's why I made my post. There are enough tone deaf 3.8+/21+ idiotic "chance me" threads. Most people want to become dentists here, they don't care about only the "good" dentistry programs. Not everyone has to go to columbia/harvard to specialize.

Reactions: 1 users
I remember my ethics professor saying
If you are 50 years old and wanted to study something new, but you hesitated because of your age. Chances are, 4 years from now, you still will be 54 regreting not achieving the dream you wanted, while if had gone for it, you would be 54 with a new degree, new experience, and maybe a new career and friends!

So, don't you ever let your age stops you from achieving your dreams

Also, and this is important, dental school should not discriminate against you based on age! Of course, they won't give you special treatment because of that!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users