Work a SUPER boring job and thinking about taking some classes online to boost my sGPA a bit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogsGottaEat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am working a really boring job at the moment that probably averages 25-30 hours of downtime on a computer per week. My current stats are cGPA of 3.3, sGPA of 3.15 (SMP GPA of 3.5) and MCAT of 513.

I have 3 solid letters of rec and ~160 shadowing hours (all MD) and plan on getting ~40 hours (DO) and hopefully another letter by the time the applications cycle starts. My goal is to get into OUHCOM-Cleveland/Columbus as I am an Ohio resident and my spouse will need to be in a larger city than Athens for their career. I am below their averages in terms of cGPA and sGPA but am above for MCAT.

I would LOVE to utilize this time to get my sGPA closer to 3.3 (12 credit hours at A with no grade replacement). Are there any respectable online programs that could accomplish this? My job is pretty rigid in terms of being in the building from 8am-430pm every day but I can do basically anything I want while on the actual job. I could always quit in the summer and do a few classes at a CC but the pay is pretty solid ($45k). I have looked into night classes in my area but the only programs available seem to be for MBA which obviously would do nothing for my science GPA.

Is this a bad idea? Neutral? Positive? I am really just looking into how to improve my app rather than sitting mindlessly at my cubicle all day.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I am working a really boring job at the moment that probably averages 25-30 hours of downtime on a computer per week. My current stats are cGPA of 3.3, sGPA of 3.15 (SMP GPA of 3.5) and MCAT of 513.

I have 3 solid letters of rec and ~160 shadowing hours (all MD) and plan on getting ~40 hours (DO) and hopefully another letter by the time the applications cycle starts. My goal is to get into OUHCOM-Cleveland/Columbus as I am an Ohio resident and my spouse will need to be in a larger city than Athens for their career. I am below their averages in terms of cGPA and sGPA but am above for MCAT.

I would LOVE to utilize this time to get my sGPA closer to 3.3 (12 credit hours at A with no grade replacement). Are there any respectable online programs that could accomplish this? My job is pretty rigid in terms of being in the building from 8am-430pm every day but I can do basically anything I want while on the actual job. I could always quit in the summer and do a few classes at a CC but the pay is pretty solid ($45k). I have looked into night classes in my area but the only programs available seem to be for MBA which obviously would do nothing for my science GPA.

Is this a bad idea? Neutral? Positive? I am really just looking into how to improve my app rather than sitting mindlessly at my cubicle all day.

Would these science classes be denoted as an online version on your transcript? If not, it seems like a great way to boost your sGPA. Lots of obviously online classes at a CC might not be viewed as super competitive if an adcom member decides to scrutinize your transcripts, but then again A's are A's.

UNE Offers online courses for pre-reqs and a couple upper level bio classes. Have heard mixed reviews about it so tread lightly.

If you are applying only DO you can do night classes at community college. They do not care as much about the whole University vs. CC aspect.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNE Offers online courses for pre-reqs and a couple upper level bio classes. Have heard mixed reviews about it so tread lightly.

If you are applying only DO you can do night classes at community college. They do not care as much about the whole University vs. CC aspect.

I would prefer to do the classes at a CC at night but that isn't really an option in my area. The CC seems to offer business classes at night but next to nothing in sciences. Also, I'm worried that waiting until summer may result in a delayed application.

I'm only applying DO. If you look at my post history you'll notice that I was accepted MD several years back but couldn't attend for family reasons. I've been told that this essentially kills my MD chances going forward.

I'm only applying DO. If you look at my post history you'll notice that I was accepted MD several years back but couldn't attend for family reasons. I've been told that this essentially kills my MD chances going forward.

Holy cow! Congrats on overcoming those kind of personal obstacles.

Honestly unless you can clear the 3.25 GPA cutoff for KCU, theres no benefit in taking any more science classes. You've proven w/ an SMP and MCAT you can handle the medical course load.

I would be working on preparing for the upcoming application cycle. Work on your personal statement. Review/edit it every couple days. Buy books that have samples of medical school example essays. This will help you for secondaries as well.