work after residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rnnpmaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love medicine and especially psych. Is it possible (after residency) to work ~50 hours per week and make ~$135,000 per year? I am not particularly interested in having my own practice.

Members don't see this ad.

I love medicine and especially psych. Is it possible (after residency) to work ~50 hours per week and make ~$135,000 per year? I am not particularly interested in having my own practice.

Outside of the supersaturated geographic areas (Boston, NYC, SF), not only is this possible, it's really easy (would expect both fewer hours and more pay).

:eek: Holy cow!!!! I am seriously considering Psych as well for residency. What kind of background are they looking for as far as acceptance? Certin undergrad majors, work experience, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
The rate you mentioned is slightly lower than the average in area I'm in-Cincinnati, where there is a residency program turning out a number of good psychiatrists each year who want to stay in the area. The cost of living is also very low-real estate values are half of what they were in the past place I lived-NJ, groceries are about 10-20% cheaper.

The thought has crossed my mind that I can be making almost 2x as much if I were to move to an undeserved area or California. The wife however wants to stay here.

Last edited:
(Its 3am and im sleepy so forgive me for grammar/typos)

Didnt want to put this in its own thread but i had some related questions (more curiosities not that it really matter to me)

This is just refering to physicians (not just psychiatrists) working in hospitals, not private practice.

It seems there is alot of difference between different positions, In hospitals i hear about people working massively different hours (anywhere for 40-80+), with or w/o call, differnt amounts of weekends/holidays and massively different salaries.

My questions:
When you sign a contract with a hospital are things like specific hours, call/no call, days of week/holidays clearly defined for the position your taking?
Is your salary a single pre-determined amount independent of hours worked/patients seen?

Basically im curious if you know about what your getting yourself into when you accept a specific position.

(Its 3am and im sleepy so forgive me for grammar/typos)

Didnt want to put this in its own thread but i had some related questions (more curiosities not that it really matter to me)

This is just refering to physicians (not just psychiatrists) working in hospitals, not private practice.

It seems there is alot of difference between different positions, In hospitals i hear about people working massively different hours (anywhere for 40-80+), with or w/o call, differnt amounts of weekends/holidays and massively different salaries.

That's because there are almost as many different setups as there are psychiatrists...

My questions:
When you sign a contract with a hospital are things like specific hours, call/no call, days of week/holidays clearly defined for the position your taking?
Is your salary a single pre-determined amount independent of hours worked/patients seen?

Basically im curious if you know about what your getting yourself into when you accept a specific position.

There are basically two major paths here--salaried or entrepreneurial.
In the former, you sign on with a hospital or physician group, usually starting out with some guarantee + productivity stipend. These will have defined expectations, shared call responsibilities, holiday coverage, benefits, etc. These may be governmental, academic, or private sector.

On the entrepreneurial side, you are essentially self-employed. You might contract with an agency or practice entity to see patients for them with certain stipulations, or you might be "hanging a shingle" as a private doc, or bits and pieces of both. In whatever case, you're calling the shots. You're also taking all the risks and responsibilities of this.

Personally--I chose (A). I like sharing the responsibility, I like that someone else is covering all the administrative stuff, I like the regular hours. YMMV.

Last edited: