Work and Activities job description

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedlross23

Reaction score
So I have a quick question regarding one of my activity description. I worked as an EMT for a particular company, however, I had many different roles. The two main roles I listed were:

1) Patient care - I worked XX hours.
2) XXXXXXXX (not related to my job as an EMT with the company; instead, it is a different job within the same company) - I worked YY hours.

However, I also had many other roles besides patient care with my job as an EMT, such as community outreach, meetings, and cleaning of the department. The time I spent doing these activities I included in the patient care description (as I only kept track of the hours I worked in my role number #2, so to find the hours for role #1, all I had to do was total hours - role #2 hours = role #1 hours), however, I did not make any mention of these side activities within my patient care description. So essentially, the total hours I spent providing only patient care is actually less than the hours I wrote in the description (the total hours for the entire job is correct though). If I had to guess, out of the XX hours I wrote for the patient care description, I would say 75% was truly patient care, and 25% was miscellaneous activities as mentioned above. Is this deception? Normally I wouldn't worry, however, I listed the hours at the end of each mini-description above, which is not truly reflective of the amount of time I spent in patient care.

Second question, when adcoms verify W/A, do they call the reference and ask if the applicant worked there during the given dates/hours like "Was applicant X an EMT at your company from X-Y for a total of Z hours", or do they ask more specific questions like "Did applicant X provide Z hours of patient care".

@Moko

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is why I don't read my essays and descriptions after I turn them in..... I know for a fact it will just turn me into a nutcase.

Dude, you're fine. Hell, you're more than fine. Just keep praying for IIs and prepare for the ones you already have.

Reactions: 2 users
I would have mentioned community outreach as being part of your job responsibilities, though that ship has sailed. Verification of this activity is unlikely to happen in the first place, and even if it does, it is unlikely to be very detailed. Most employers are not categorizing the hours of their employees with the neuroticism of applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would have mentioned community outreach as being part of your job responsibilities, though that ship has sailed. Verification of this activity is unlikely to happen in the first place, and even if it does, it is unlikely to be very detailed. Most employers are not categorizing the hours of their employees with the neuroticism of applicants.
@Catalystik Would you recommend that I update schools on this then? Is this something that could get my acceptance rescinded and or get me kicked out of medical school for?

@Catalystik Would you recommend that I update schools on this then? Is this something that could get my acceptance rescinded and or get me kicked out of medical school for?
Don't update. Also, mentioning community outreach probably may have helped your application a little bit.

No one is getting kicked out of medical school for forgetting to mention positive things about themselves.

Reactions: 4 users
So I have a quick question regarding one of my activity description. I worked as an EMT for a particular company, however, I had many different roles. The two main roles I listed were:

1) Patient care - I worked XX hours.
2) XXXXXXXX (not related to my job as an EMT with the company; instead, it is a different job within the same company) - I worked YY hours.

However, I also had many other roles besides patient care with my job as an EMT, such as community outreach, meetings, and cleaning of the department. The time I spent doing these activities I included in the patient care description (as I only kept track of the hours I worked in my role number #2, so to find the hours for role #1, all I had to do was total hours - role #2 hours = role #1 hours), however, I did not make any mention of these side activities within my patient care description. So essentially, the total hours I spent providing only patient care is actually less than the hours I wrote in the description (the total hours for the entire job is correct though). If I had to guess, out of the XX hours I wrote for the patient care description, I would say 75% was truly patient care, and 25% was miscellaneous activities as mentioned above. Is this deception? Normally I wouldn't worry, however, I listed the hours at the end of each mini-description above, which is not truly reflective of the amount of time I spent in patient care.

Second question, when adcoms verify W/A, do they call the reference and ask if the applicant worked there during the given dates/hours like "Was applicant X an EMT at your company from X-Y for a total of Z hours", or do they ask more specific questions like "Did applicant X provide Z hours of patient care".

Question 1: So how many hours did you list as patient care related? If it was 200 or more, then 150 were actual patient involvement, and that's enough. Keep in mind that many applicants list hospital volunteering, but their actual duties include cleaning beds and restocking cabinets. They rarely break down their actual patient experience in the narrative, but adcomms know what is typical for that type of role.

Question 2: You are not providing a reference. You are providing a Contact that will attest your your timeframe and hours. Questions will not be asked about duty mix.

Question 3: Do not update.

Don't update. Also, mentioning community outreach probably may have helped your application a little bit.

No one is getting kicked out of medical school for forgetting to mention positive things about themselves.
Question 1: So how many hours did you list as patient care related? If it was 200 or more, then 150 were actual patient involvement, and that's enough. Keep in mind that many applicants list hospital volunteering, but their actual duties include cleaning beds and restocking cabinets. They rarely break down their actual patient experience in the narrative, but adcomms know what is typical for that type of role.

Question 2: You are not providing a reference. You are providing a Contact that will attest your your timeframe and hours. Questions will not be asked about duty mix.

Question 3: Do not update.
Thank you both for your response. I have patient contact in other parts of my application, so I believe I have more than enough patient contact hours by itself. The main thing I am worried about is falsification of my application, because, as I have mentioned, a small chunk of my role actually has to do with PR, meetings, etc. (this is actually in my job description), so the hours I listed for the patient contact portion of the description is actually inflated. So if I actually did 150patient contact hours and 50miscellaneous hours, I would have listed it as 200patient contact hours within the mini-description. I just wanted to clarify the problem I have as I think it is more than forgetting to include positive things and a lack of patient contact hours. Is this still fine?

I have patient contact in other parts of my application, so I believe I have more than enough patient contact hours by itself.

The main thing I am worried about is falsification of my application, because, as I have mentioned, a small chunk of my role actually has to do with PR, meetings, etc. (this is actually in my job description), so the hours I listed for the patient contact portion of the description is actually inflated. So if I actually did 150patient contact hours and 50miscellaneous hours, I would have listed it as 200patient contact hours within the mini-description.

I just wanted to clarify the problem I have as I think it is more than forgetting to include positive things and a lack of patient contact hours. Is this still fine?
I wish every applicant had meticulous attention to detail and broke down their percent involvement with patients vs other tasks for a given role, and I encourage this approach (when asked). But the vast majority of applicants do it the way you have (as cited in my response to your Question 1), so you are in good company and have no reason to stress over it. You are fine.