Work and Activities Section Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leliah95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should work actually be included as an experience? For the last three years of college I worked to pay for my rent/school that financial aid did not cover. I worked at least 20 hours/week so this was a significant amount of time and I would not have been able to complete my undergraduate education without doing so. It's not necessarily pertinent to medical school but I think it's an important consideration. It took a lot of time away from other activities and it was difficult to balance with schoolwork. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Should work actually be included as an experience? For the last three years of college I worked to pay for my rent/school that financial aid did not cover. I worked at least 20 hours/week so this was a significant amount of time and I would not have been able to complete my undergraduate education without doing so. It's not necessarily pertinent to medical school but I think it's an important consideration. It took a lot of time away from other activities and it was difficult to balance with schoolwork. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!
Yes, you should list it so adcomms know what keeps you busy and why your other activities might be skimpier than typical. What was the job?

Yes, you should list it so adcomms know what keeps you busy and why your other activities might be skimpier than typical. What was the job?

My second year I worked as a nanny for two doctors. I did laundry, prepared lunch and dinner, picked up the children from school. Third year I babysat for a different family since one of the parents decided to stay home. And this past year I worked as a server at a restaurant. The change was due to scheduling conflicts.

Members don't see this ad :)
My second year I worked as a nanny for two doctors. I did laundry, prepared lunch and dinner, picked up the children from school. Third year I babysat for a different family since one of the parents decided to stay home. And this past year I worked as a server at a restaurant. The change was due to scheduling conflicts.
You are thinking these are unrelated to medicine, yet they demonstrate that you are a good multitasker, have people skills, probably tolerate "difficult" individuals well, and were reliable. This reflects well on a med school applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
You are thinking these are unrelated to medicine, yet they demonstrate that you are a good multitasker, have people skills, probably tolerate "difficult" individuals well, and were reliable. This reflects well on a med school applicant.
Thank you for the help!

One last question, should I list these all in one section or separately?

One last question, should I list these all in one section or separately?
It depends on spaces you have left and how much you have to say about each. They each deserve their own space, but many applicants would group them, or at least, put the two together that are most similar. What would work best for you?

Thanks for this response - helped clarify something for my application. Similar situation as OP but was not going to put them in my activities but will now :)

Reactions: 1 user
@Catalystik Branching off this, I included a work section for my current job (gap year right now) but did not talk about the ones I worked during undergrad.

Would you still recommend including those in the section? I have like ~150 characters left after discussing my current job. Any tips on this?

Last edited:
@Catalystik Branching off this, I included a work section for my current job (gap year right now) but did talk about the ones I worked during undergrad.

Would you still recommend including those in the section? I have like ~150 characters left after discussing my current job. Any tips on this?
There is a thread dedicated to answering quesions about the Work/Activities section here: *~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

I will copy and respond to your concerns there.