Work and College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Namie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have to work a lot in college, since I have my college paid for, grant worth of 5.5 k per yr, and I have 3.5 k (interest free loan). I also live with my boyfriend who doesn't want me to pay rent, and food, and whatever. I have 9 k in liquid money.

But I have a job too, and it's more of a thing to say, "I have a job" and to get 100 bucks a week. But I'm good with 20-25 hrs. I couldn't handle 35-40 hrs (which I did in high school, dumb move)

How many hours would you work if you were me?

Members don't see this ad.

About three fiddy.

Seriously though, to answer your question here, some more info is needed. How many hours are you taking? Are you doing research? Volunteering? Other EC's?

Members don't see this ad :)
If i didn't have to work for financial reasons, then I would not work and focus more on other activities to boost my application such as volunteering, research, shadowing, etc.
Consider your self lucky that you don't have to worry about paying for for college. Hope it stays that way for you.

What type of work? Is it something like research that will be dually beneficial, or just a random job?

I think 10-15 hours is a very reasonable and manageable amount. If you're taking many science courses, I wouldn't go above 20.

It depends on whether it's med related or not. Feel free to buff up your resume with extra research. If this is like, working at the local pet shop or best buy, you should really cut back and focus more on grades and bulking up the other parts of your application that will make you look like a promising med student.