• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Namie

Removed
Jun 13, 2011
Status
Psychology Student
Well, I don't have to work a lot in college, since I have my college paid for, grant worth of 5.5 k per yr, and I have 3.5 k (interest free loan). I also live with my boyfriend who doesn't want me to pay rent, and food, and whatever. I have 9 k in liquid money.

But I have a job too, and it's more of a thing to say, "I have a job" and to get 100 bucks a week. But I'm good with 20-25 hrs. I couldn't handle 35-40 hrs (which I did in high school, dumb move)

How many hours would you work if you were me?

paul411

ANES
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
About three fiddy.

Seriously though, to answer your question here, some more info is needed. How many hours are you taking? Are you doing research? Volunteering? Other EC's?

About the Ads

torshi

Squirrel
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2010
About three fiddy.

Seriously though, to answer your question here, some more info is needed. How many hours are you taking? Are you doing research? Volunteering? Other EC's?
tree fiddy

nisarg2010

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If i didn't have to work for financial reasons, then I would not work and focus more on other activities to boost my application such as volunteering, research, shadowing, etc.
Consider your self lucky that you don't have to worry about paying for for college. Hope it stays that way for you.

BuffNerd

Status
Pre-Medical
What type of work? Is it something like research that will be dually beneficial, or just a random job?

whatbout2morrow

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Innisfree
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The least I possibly could.

K

kpcrew

I think 10-15 hours is a very reasonable and manageable amount. If you're taking many science courses, I wouldn't go above 20.

isoquin

Allopathetic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2007
Status
Medical Student
It depends on whether it's med related or not. Feel free to buff up your resume with extra research. If this is like, working at the local pet shop or best buy, you should really cut back and focus more on grades and bulking up the other parts of your application that will make you look like a promising med student.

About the Ads