Work and Heat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolchix321

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me the relationship between work and heat in regards to internal energy...
For example
When a piston is compressed... what happens? correct me if i am wrong
volume decreases, thus work is done on the system (+W), thus heat is absorbed/gained (+Q), thus the gas gains energy (+U)?
I am confused...
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Could someone please explain to me the relationship between work and heat in regards to internal energy...
For example
When a piston is compressed... what happens? correct me if i am wrong
volume decreases, thus work is done on the system (+W), thus heat is absorbed/gained (+Q), thus the gas gains energy (+U)?
I am confused...
thanks

you never stated if this is adiabatic or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
is my reasoning correct? What are the steps? Can you clarify please....

What if it is adiabatic? Then what

Its just simple 7th grade algebra here.

U = W + Q

If is adiabatic, then Q = 0 (no heat transfer since the thing is insulated)

U = W.

If you add W, what do you think happens to U.

If Poop = Eat,

and you add Eat, what happens to Poop? It goes up doesnt it?

What if it is NOT adiabatic?

U = W + Q

If you compress a gas, it becomes hot. If its not adiabatic, that means heat will transfer out. If the process is slow and the Q is allows to release and equilibrate, then U is constant.

Again, this is just algebra here.

ok here is the equation

IE= W + Q

IE= Internal energy

W= work

Q= heat

If you compress a volume of gas. You are doing work ON the system. Whenever you do work On the SYSTEM the sign of work is positive.

If you expand a volume of gas. The gas is doing working on the SURROUNDINGS. Work is negative.

If you add heat to a system. Then the sign is positive.

If you remove heat on a system then the sign is negative.

ok here is the equation

IE= W + Q

IE= Internal energy

W= work

Q= heat

If you compress a volume of gas. You are doing work ON the system. Whenever you do work On the SYSTEM the sign of work is positive.

If you expand a volume of gas. The gas is doing working on the SURROUNDINGS. Work is negative.

If you add heat to a system. Then the sign is positive.

If you remove heat on a system then the sign is negative.

Thanks for your help
So,
If you compress a volume of gas. You are doing work ON the system... the sign of work is positive.... so is Q negative or positive? Why?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help
So,
If you compress a volume of gas. You are doing work ON the system... the sign of work is positive.... so is Q negative or positive? Why?
Thanks

you cant get all your answers in life on SDN. go read Kaplan, EK, or Giancoli. Thanks.

I read the Kaplan book... many times
but it is inconsistent with what you are saying... you are explaining differently
for example, Kaplan says: U=Q-W
wheras here you say U=Q+W... so I want to learn from ONE consistent source
could you please answer this one question
thanks

but it is inconsistent with what you are saying... you are explaining differently
thanks
W = -PV

So, U = Q + W = Q + (-PV) = Q - PV = Q - W

It's the same thing. The V in the equation is the change in volume, btw; not the absolute volume.

:D

You keep toying with this girl and now you have confounded her. Be nice! :D

let me guess, shes a bio major.

thanks

forget the signs. use your intuition. the MCAT could care less about signs.

There is either

1. Adiabatic or Not
2. Fixed Volume or Not

If its Adiabatic, Q = 0
If its Fixed Volume, W=0

what is there to not understand?

1. you pressurize an insulated can, the can heats up, Q=0 and the U goes up = W
2. you relax an insulated can, the can cools down, Q=0 and the U goes down = W.
3. you heat a rigged can, no work is done because its rigid, so U = Q in
4. you cool a rigged can, no work is done, U = Q out

5. you pressurize a non insulated can, it heats up but Q escapes. W goes in, but Q comes out. U is constant.
6. you relax a non insulated can, it cools down, but Q comes in. W goes out, but Q goes in. U is constant.
7. you heat up a non rigid can, the pressure increases and does work. Q goes in, but W leaves by doing work. U = constant.
8. you cool down a non rigid can, the pressure decreases and receives work. Q goes out, but W enters by receiving work. U = constant.

Im not proof reading this s*** and if you still don't get it, quit.

let me guess, shes a bio major.

forget the signs. use your intuition. the MCAT could care less about signs.

There is either

1. Adiabatic or Not
2. Fixed Volume or Not

If its Adiabatic, Q = 0
If its Fixed Volume, W=0

what is there to not understand?

1. you pressurize an insulated can, the can heats up, Q=0 and the U goes up = W
2. you relax an insulated can, the can cools down, Q=0 and the U goes down = W.
3. you heat a rigged can, no work is done because its rigid, so U = Q in
4. you cool a rigged can, no work is done, U = Q out

5. you pressurize a non insulated can, it heats up but Q escapes. W goes in, but Q comes out. U is constant.
6. you relax a non insulated can, it cools down, but Q comes in. W goes out, but Q goes in. U is constant.
7. you heat up a non rigid can, the pressure increases and does work. Q goes in, but W leaves by doing work. U = constant.
8. you cool down a non rigid can, the pressure decreases and receives work. Q goes out, but W enters by receiving work. U = constant.

Im not proof reading this s*** and if you still don't get it, quit.

ChemEng has a point. You dont need to worry about a sign you just need to use your intution and just be consistent with how you apply your signs.

FOR ME....

If I do work on a system by compressing it I consider the W to be +

If I heat a system I consider the Q to be +

If the system does work on the surrondings by expanding then I consider W to be -

If the system loses heat and gives it off to the surroundings thenI consider Q to be -

You can obviously have the signs backward. But it doesn't matter as long as you keep it consistent.

o what did you do to get a probationary status?

i have no idea. i was bantering with a friend in a post-bac thread, and apparently even in the absence of offensive language you can be put on probation if you go off topic or some such stupid crap.

i have no idea. i was bantering with a friend in a post-bac thread, and apparently even in the absence of offensive language you can be put on probation if you go off topic or some such stupid crap.

the red looks pretty tight.

Like someone above me said. I find this so amusing. But anyhow, coolchix needed help. This thread should have only lasted one comment, not 20....

In a NON adiabatic system... when you compress the piston... you ADD work (+W), so you are thus adding heat (+Q)?​

reading this tread has made me confused on a topic that i was really good at..

i learned it the way kaplan taught it.. at least i think thats what they taught, i get sleepy during the sessions lol..

anyways i use U=Q-W
if work is done ON the system that means there is -W (as this is the only way you can make internal energy aka U go up), if work is done BY the system work is +W (this will lower the internal energy).

U is a state function because its directly related to the temperature of the system while W and Q are both non-state functions.

adiabatic means no heat goes in or out, so many of you say Q=0 which means U=-W if work is done BY the system and U=-(-W) when work is done ON the system.

if you have an isochoric process no work is done W=0 so U=Q
isothermal means U=0 so q-w=0...

U=0 for isotherm
Q=0 for adiabatic
W=0 for isochoric (const. volume)
if Pressure=0 then W=PV
am i correct??

In a NON adiabatic system... when you compress the piston... you ADD work (+W), so you are thus adding heat (+Q)?​

The W makes the temperature increase. If the temperature is hotter than the environment, the Q will leave the system. Temperature and Q are not the same thing.

14732916.JPG

Read a book.

Why does Heat leave when you add Work in a NON Adiabatic system??
In a NON adiabatic system... when you compress the piston... you ADD work (+W), so you are thus removing heat (-Q)? Why?
Thanks​

In a NON adiabatic system... when you compress the piston... you ADD work (+W), so you are thus removing heat (-Q)? Why?

Thanks​

If you compress the piston you ADD WORK.

That is all.

Thanks​

1. When you squeeze stuff, it gets hot.
2. Why do hot things cool? You tell me. You dont know why a hot cup of coffee cools? Why do balls in the air drop? Why do molecules form bonds at lower energy?

You aren't intentionally removing heat. It leaves because its hotter than the environment and its not insulated.

Since this thread is so long, convoluted, and confusing
could someone please give me a summary of the answer to my question
thanks

Since this thread is so long, convoluted, and confusing
could someone please give me a summary of the answer to my question
thanks

I can read a few posts from someone and gauge pretty accurately what their level is. All I have to say is, you have some major gapping holes missing in your background knowledge. If I were you, I would be worried about other things.

millionaire.jpg

I can read a few posts from someone and gauge pretty accurately what their level is. All I have to say is, you have some major gapping holes missing in your background knowledge. If I were you, I would be worried about other things.

millionaire.jpg
Wow that dude is a dummy. Everyone knows that it's D, Buyer's remorse. final answer!

I've always wondered why doing work (in an adiabatic case) only increased kinetic energy but not potential energy. Increasing W increases U (which is KE + PE), so isn't it possible that the temperature stays the same but potential energy increases?