Work at Orthodontics? Passport to get in?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Shadowwalker, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Shadowwalker

Shadowwalker 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hello everyone,

I am currently a sophomore in Biology Major. I have not had any degree in dental hygienist yet.
    Does anyone have any idea is there a degree required for those who seek to work as dental assistant?
    More importantly, I would like to work at orthodontic. I really enjoy handing on brackets, elastic ties, wires. I repeat, I extremely like to work on braces,
    Is there a degree required to work at orthodontic office?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Glimmer1991

Glimmer1991 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Since you are in school full-time, it doesn't make much sense for you to actually be on payroll as an assistant. However, I'm sure there is an orthodontist that would allow you to volunteer at his/her office... but I doubt that you'd be able to do so in the capacity you're hoping for.

I think the degree requirements depend on the state you're in. Some docs will train assistants, whereas others want assistants with degrees.

As an aside, dental hygiene and dental assisting are not the same thing. Assisting doesn't necessarily require a degree. Hygiene does. The hygienists are the ones who clean your teeth, and they require anywhere from 1-4 more years of schooling than an assistant. They also make quite a bit more money.

Last edited: 05.16.14
  4. Shadowwalker

Pre-Dental
    Haha @glimmer,
    Thanks.
    Let me tell you this, I know an orthodontic office, related to my family. He allows a passion girl(21years old) to work for him because of her specificity.
    The orthodontist told me, the girl is actually in college. She dreams big, she wanted to be an orthodontist as well. and she is smart. that is why he hired her as a part-time position. I am jealous. She is beautiful and looks quite smart in my eyes by looking at her acts and speaking!

5. amfassz

amfassz

ortho dying yo

saturation, GPs taking cases, 6-month smiles, tuition

not looking good

don't get your hopes up

6. Shadowwalker

Pre-Dental
    I do not think I get you

7. amfassz

amfassz

ortho isnt worth it anymore

the golden days are over

8. Shadowwalker

Pre-Dental
    Oh really. Hummm, but I am still not clear, I have seen a lots of new patients getting braces daily at that office.

9. Glimmer1991

Glimmer1991 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What amfassz is saying is that more and more general dentists are doing orthodontic work. Basically, with continuing education and with all of the new computer advances, it isn't that hard for a general dentist to do orthodontics. Many people are also choosing short-term ortho instead of long-term.

As more and more general dentists start to do orthodontic treatment, it becomes a bit riskier and less necessary to pay for the specialty training.

Shadowwalker likes this.
  10. imflossy

imflossy

Pre-Dental
    It's not just ortho. Saturation and invasion affects most specialities maybe except omf

About the ads