Work at Orthodontics? Passport to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shadowwalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently a sophomore in Biology Major. I have not had any degree in dental hygienist yet.
Does anyone have any idea is there a degree required for those who seek to work as dental assistant?
More importantly, I would like to work at orthodontic. I really enjoy handing on brackets, elastic ties, wires. I repeat, I extremely like to work on braces,
Is there a degree required to work at orthodontic office?

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are in school full-time, it doesn't make much sense for you to actually be on payroll as an assistant. However, I'm sure there is an orthodontist that would allow you to volunteer at his/her office... but I doubt that you'd be able to do so in the capacity you're hoping for.

I think the degree requirements depend on the state you're in. Some docs will train assistants, whereas others want assistants with degrees.

As an aside, dental hygiene and dental assisting are not the same thing. Assisting doesn't necessarily require a degree. Hygiene does. The hygienists are the ones who clean your teeth, and they require anywhere from 1-4 more years of schooling than an assistant. They also make quite a bit more money.

Last edited:
Haha @glimmer,
Thanks.
Let me tell you this, I know an orthodontic office, related to my family. He allows a passion girl(21years old) to work for him because of her specificity.
The orthodontist told me, the girl is actually in college. She dreams big, she wanted to be an orthodontist as well. and she is smart. that is why he hired her as a part-time position. I am jealous. She is beautiful and looks quite smart in my eyes by looking at her acts and speaking!

Members don't see this ad :)
ortho dying yo

saturation, GPs taking cases, 6-month smiles, tuition

not looking good

don't get your hopes up

Oh really. Hummm, but I am still not clear, I have seen a lots of new patients getting braces daily at that office.

Oh really. Hummm, but I am still not clear, I have seen a lots of new patients getting braces daily at that office.

What amfassz is saying is that more and more general dentists are doing orthodontic work. Basically, with continuing education and with all of the new computer advances, it isn't that hard for a general dentist to do orthodontics. Many people are also choosing short-term ortho instead of long-term.

As more and more general dentists start to do orthodontic treatment, it becomes a bit riskier and less necessary to pay for the specialty training.

Reactions: 1 user