Work Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Backpack234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for jackets? I've had a fleece jacket since residency and it's time for a new one but I'm terrible at shopping for clothes.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm actually going to my local scrub shop here in an hour or so to look at white coats made of wrinkle-free material. I'll post what I find.

Other than that, scrub pants, white cool base tee shirt. Lightweight shoes. Your favorite socks and underwear.

Members don't see this ad :)
BGB4AC9_mz.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I'm actually going to my local scrub shop here in an hour or so to look at white coats made of wrinkle-free material. I'll post what I find.

Other than that, scrub pants, white cool base tee shirt. Lightweight shoes. Your favorite socks and underwear.

Although not sold in scrub stores, you should look into Medelita. I didn't like their scrubs, but their coats have been fantastic. I purchased white coats two about five years ago and those are still the ones I wear.

Honestly I see people wearing fleece jackets in the ED and it really blows my mind. Why are you going to wreck your a sweet Patagonia or Mountain Hardwear jacket just to look cool.

If it's getting cold in the department, you should put on some cheap water wicking shell material from Costco or some other place that you won't be devastated if you get fecal material on it.

Last edited:
Honestly I see people wearing fleece jackets in the ED and it really blows my mind. Why are you going to wreck your a sweet Patagonia or Mountain Hardwear jacket just to look cool.

If it's getting cold in the department, you should put on some cheap water wicking shell material from Costco or some other place that you won't be devastated if you get fecal material on it.
How often are you getting fecal material on you? I wore a fleece all through residency and never got anything on it. If I did something bloody or gross, I was either sterile/in a gown of some sort, or the fleece came off. Or both obviously. I'm not advocating wearing expensive crap in the ED (my current go to pullover cost maybe 50 bucks 3 yrs ago) but I feel like keeping relatively clean isn't hard.

Reactions: 1 users
How often are you getting fecal material on you? I wore a fleece all through residency and never got anything on it. If I did something bloody or gross, I was either sterile/in a gown of some sort, or the fleece came off. Or both obviously. I'm not advocating wearing expensive crap in the ED (my current go to pullover cost maybe 50 bucks 3 yrs ago) but I feel like keeping relatively clean isn't hard.
This.

I have gotten poop on myself exactly once and its because my attending in residency didn't believe me when I said "this lady is incontinent" so made me do a rectal anyway.

Call me old but I don’t understand the fleece jacket thing in the ED. It’s known to harbor more bacteria. It looks unprofessional. It hides stains like vomit, feces, blood, that you don’t realize are on you. Wear a white coat and leave it at work when you are done. Better protection and you can actually see when something is on you

Call me old but I don’t understand the fleece jacket thing in the ED. It’s known to harbor more bacteria. It looks unprofessional. It hides stains like vomit, feces, blood, that you don’t realize are on you. Wear a white coat and leave it at work when you are done. Better protection and you can actually see when something is on you

It's so unprofessional that every resident wears one to the point that nurses and even pracks have started copying the style. Sometimes they even get the hospital to shell out for their style biting desires.

I'm sure that your patients appreciate the vomit, feces, and blood on your white coat from your previous patients.

I have been squirted in the face with blood while exploring a scalp wound. I have given narcan and gotten puked on. I have pulled multiple people out of cars in the front of the ambulance bay after they've been shot and gotten covered in blood. I've put in a chest tube for a hemothorax and forgot to clamp the tube before putting it in and had blood poor out over my shoes and scrub bottoms. I've delivered a baby on an EMS stretcher and had amniotic fluid pour down my leg into my socks and shoes.

Are some of these my fault? Probably most of them are. I'm not very agile in the ED. Regardless, the opportunities to get covered in bodily fluid are endless.

But to answer your question, I have not gotten feces on me.

It's so unprofessional that every resident wears one to the point that nurses and even pracks have started copying the style. Sometimes they even get the hospital to shell out for their style biting desires.

I'm sure that your patients appreciate the vomit, feces, and blood on your white coat from your previous patients.

Well if you see it you can take it off or clean it. Not walk around with a dirty coat on. If you don’t know it’s there think about how gross that is.

Not every resident. Where I trained it was banned as an infection control risk...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you see it you can take it off or clean it. Not walk around with a dirty coat on. If you don’t know it’s there think about how gross that is.

Not every resident. Where I trained it was banned as an infection control risk...
Well if that's the standard we're using...

British Hospitals Ban Ties, Long Sleeves

Reactions: 2 users
I mainly wear scrubs. In the winter I may have on a light fleece or a fleece vest. I don't really care about the getting dirty part. Isn't that why we all own washing machines?

I go through phases with my white coats but haven't worn them for the past year and a half. Not because I don't like them but because they have gotten kind of tight and uncomfortable across the shoulders and arms. I need to go up a size. I wouldn't buy anything else other than medelita. Wonderful coats. High quality and very comfy. Def worth the price.

Not because I don't like them but because they have gotten kind of tight and uncomfortable across the shoulders and arms. I need to go up a size.
Medelita looks like they might have some interesting scrub pants (would like pockets.) May try that out. Also, nice humblebrag about how you've gotten too ripped to wear your old clothes.

Medelita looks like they might have some interesting scrub pants (would like pockets.) May try that out. Also, nice humblebrag about how you've gotten too ripped to wear your old clothes.

Haha, hey man...it's the truth! I'm hulking out over here. In my own head at least, lol.

I'd recommend trying the Figs first. I was so impressed with the medelita coats that I bought several of their scrubs but ended up putting them on ice in favor of the Figs. The medelita scrubs are a bit more rough and I don't remember them having any elasticity. The figs are decidedly more comfy and have some stretch to them. I also think the material is better quality. I'm kind of OCD with scrubs though so YMMV. Either brand is better than anything you'd get out of a local scrub store.

None of our attendings wear white coats here. I'd totally try Medelita if they/we did.

I love the coin pocket on the right in Landau pants -- any of the higher-end stuff still have that?

OP here. Really didn't think this thread would get so many comments. Also had no idea it would evolve into a comparison of who got pooped on and who made it through residency cleanly. Clearly that should be a mark of pride. /s

Why wear the fleece? First off, it's comfortable. Secondly, it separates me from everyone else in the department (nurses, techs, pharmacy, etc.). Thirdly, it looks a bit more professional than just wearing scrubs.

But it's expensive? Well, how many of you own figs? If we're really in the business of getting covered in amniotic fluid, emesis, and poo each day, then I guess we're limited to whatever scrubs the hospital gives us. Personally I've had to change clothes during a shift once in residency when I put in a chest tube and blood got on my scrub pants. Funny thing is I took my fleece off before entering the trauma room and wore PPE.

Why no white coat? That thing is not comfortable. It routinely gets caught in the arms of my chair when I'm getting up from writing notes (Which is 80% of our job) and the pockets are nowhere near as useful as they seem. Also, how many other providers in the department have white coats of their own? It's really not a doctor only thing anymore.

Lastly: I appreciate all the input here, but does anyone have any recommendations on jackets to buy? I've had a fleece jacket since residency and it's time for a new one but I'm terrible at shopping for clothes.

it separates me from everyone else in the department (nurses, techs, pharmacy, etc.).

Lol. The second our program bought us fleeces, the NPs/PAs and other departmental staff bought some as well. If we all went back to wearing white coats, they would as well.

Our hospital banned male surgeons from wearing the caps and mandated them to wear bonnets. Much of this I suspect was done under the guise of "infection control" but given how much of it was nursing driven, I think some of the motive was to not be able to differentiate the staff as well so everyone got the same respect from patients. The CT surgery attending basically looks like an OR transporter now.

You may have realized on the floors, everyone and their mom wears a white coat, including nurse managers, midlevels, RTs, dietitians, speech therapists, phelobotomists, social workers etc.

Feel free to wear whatever you want. I could care less. If you are ok if your fleece gets a little dirty in the ED, go for it.

I wore my fleece all thru residency. Soon as you sense liquids, you take it off and put it over the back of the chair.

Just google "Men's Fleece" and pick the one that speaks to you. That's what I do.

Wife got me this hoodie for Christmas. Its awesome.

Mountain Dell Quilted Hoodie - Men's

Does anyone have recommendations for jackets? I've had a fleece jacket since residency and it's time for a new one but I'm terrible at shopping for clothes.

you want a sleeveless thin jacket? that's what I wear unless it's warm. I got one for christmas and it's fabulous. pockets could be centered a little bit better but overall I recommend. If so I'll find out the model and post it

I have been squirted in the face with blood while exploring a scalp wound. I have given narcan and gotten puked on. I have pulled multiple people out of cars in the front of the ambulance bay after they've been shot and gotten covered in blood. I've put in a chest tube for a hemothorax and forgot to clamp the tube before putting it in and had blood poor out over my shoes and scrub bottoms. I've delivered a baby on an EMS stretcher and had amniotic fluid pour down my leg into my socks and shoes.

Are some of these my fault? Probably most of them are. I'm not very agile in the ED. Regardless, the opportunities to get covered in bodily fluid are endless.

But to answer your question, I have not gotten feces on me.

At least if you get nasty stuff on your fleece jacket, you can just take it off for the rest of the shift and wash it.

If you get it on your scrubs, then you have to get new scrubs and can't do anything until you get new scrubs. You aren't going to go into another patient room with blood all over you.

At least if you get nasty stuff on your fleece jacket, you can just take it off for the rest of the shift and wash it.

If you get it on your scrubs, then you have to get new scrubs and can't do anything until you get new scrubs. You aren't going to go into another patient room with blood all over you.
Personally I prefer to rock blood stained scrubs. Patients rarely complain about the wait in that case.

Who am I kidding...doesn't reduce the complaining at all...

Do ED Docs wear like a traditional Doctor white coat much anymore? Or is it all scrubs with a white coat over it, if they even wear the white coat

Do ED Docs wear like a traditional Doctor white coat much anymore? Or is it all scrubs with a white coat over it, if they even wear the white coat
I wore my white coat as a resident during M+M and that was it. I have never worn it as an attending. Almost none of my co-attendings wear one either.

I wear scrub pants and a t-shirt, +/- a fleece/pullover depending on the temp.

Never had anyone comment on my attire in a negative way. Honestly, if you're in the ED and you have the wherewithal to 1: notice what I'm wearing and 2: be offended by it... you probably don't need to be in the ED anyway.

I wore my white coat as a resident during M+M and that was it. I have never worn it as an attending. Almost none of my co-attendings wear one either.

I wear scrub pants and a t-shirt, +/- a fleece/pullover depending on the temp.

Never had anyone comment on my attire in a negative way. Honestly, if you're in the ED and you have the wherewithal to 1: notice what I'm wearing and 2: be offended by it... you probably don't need to be in the ED anyway.

The new company I'm working for (Vituity) tells us that it's required, but I don't wear it. Probably 30% of the docs don't as well.

I wear my white coat. The only stains it has are coffee and ink stains under the pocket, unfortunately. I get it dry cleaned periodically. I find the pockets handy, it already has my name monogrammed on it, and is enough to keep me warm. If I'm going to be doing a procedure or worried i'll get exposed to some body fluid, I take it off.

I wear my white coat. The only stains it has are coffee and ink stains under the pocket, unfortunately. I get it dry cleaned periodically. I find the pockets handy, it already has my name monogrammed on it, and is enough to keep me warm. If I'm going to be doing a procedure or worried i'll get exposed to some body fluid, I take it off.

How many pockets does one need? It used to be we would be chock-full of papers, books, and reference material. Remember that little antibiotics book? Now most of the reference is in apps on a phone.

Here's what I carry with me:

1. Stethoscope
2. Phone
3. Badge
4. Pen

Only other thing I could think is useful would be trauma shears, but not being in a trauma center I use them so infrequently that it's not worth carrying them.

You're probably right, you may not need all the pockets, now that you have all that info on your phone. However, I still carry an antibiotic and a drug book with me. Perhaps i'm old school, but I like having the little handbooks. Plus at my ED, only the docs (the ones that choose to anyway) wear white coats, so it does distinguish you somewhat as the attending.

If anyone goes with the long sleeve underarmor shirt under the scrubs look instead of a jacket, I highly recommend a company called Neleus. I've been wearing their compression gear for workouts, undershirts, and long sleeve undershirts under scrubs for years now. They are absolutely great, and they are about a third of the cost of an underarmour shirt. Here's a link on amazon.

Amazon product

My residency has always gotten this particular model:
9916 | Men's Ultima Soft Shell Jacket

Its amazing. Extremely breathable but keeps you warm as hell if you zip it up. water proof (body fluids just bead up and wipe right off). Has a couple well placed zippers for storing stuff on your person without looking bulky at all. And they let you customize it fully, so we've always tossed the hospital logo on one breast and our name/degree on the other. Been using mine for five years now and it has held up great to repeated washing as well.