work-energy principle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestormpetrel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
acc to work-energy principle, the change in k.e is equal to the total work done. This makes sense to me in all cases except one. If I lift an object (not throw) from earth's surface to 10 m, i am not only increasing its K.E but THE WORK DONE BY ME also increases its P.E. so total work by my external force is equal to the change in K.E AND change in P.E. so?
also, is the concept that positive work increases K.E and negative work decreases K.E right?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The force you use to lift the object is a conservative force (does not generate heat or sound etc. and energy is conserved). One of the characteristics of conservative forces is that the work done by the conservative force is path independent. So only consider the start and end of your path when thinking of the work done. If you are considering some point between the 10m height and ground where the object is still moving, it may seem as though you have done less work but provided more energy when looking at the equations but consider this: Initially to move the object your force must be greater than the gravitational force, but then once moving your force is equal to gravity, and as the object slows your force is less than the force from gravity. In other words the force you put in is not constant the whole time. If you put in a constant force the whole time the object would be accelerating the whole time. W = Fd is a simplified depiction of W = F(avg)d. So the average force is highest when the change in kinetic energy is highest and diminishes as you continue to lift; and as you lift the object further, the average force you applied over that distance becomes smaller. I don't know if my explanation is clear or not but this is how I think of it, hope it helps!

Also the sign of your work is determined by the way you set up your system. positive and negative work can both increase KE, it is the magnitude of the work done that is equal to the change in kinetic energy.