Work Experience for MBA

Started by doc luv
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doc luv

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I'm a current medical student looking to get an MD/MBA. However, I realize that most decent MBA programs want you to have some sort of work experience. I came to medical school straight out of undergrad, and except for some time working in health policy on the Hill, I have little health administration/business experience. Has anyone been in a similar position and been able to still get into an MBA program? Any help would be appreciated.
 
flindophile said:
Work experience is more important at the top tier programs. There is no doubt that you can get admitted to an MBA program without experience; however, you may have difficulty getting admitted to one of the best ones. The top programs may evaluate MD/MBA programs differently and not weigh the work experience so heavily.

As a practical matter, you will get more out of your MBA education if you have work experience.

I agree with EVERYTHING flindophile said!
 
flindophile said:
Work experience is more important at the top tier programs. There is no doubt that you can get admitted to an MBA program without experience; however, you may have difficulty getting admitted to one of the best ones. The top programs may evaluate MD/MBA programs differently and not weigh the work experience so heavily.

As a practical matter, you will get more out of your MBA education if you have work experience.

i agree ... I'm sure your MD program has a joing program with UVA's MBA program in Darden, talk to your dean about it. I have a friend in an MD/MBA program who decided during 3rd year she needed a break. She had NO business experience at all. Granted it not a top tier program but they are looking to change the MBA program to an Ivy League school next year ... and most med students I know have NO business experience.
:luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
flindophile said:
As a practical matter, you will get more out of your MBA education if you have work experience.
So is it advisable to go after the MBA after working for a little while (when all the "schooling" is complete)? I was just wondering which route to take... the combined degree route or the previously mentioned. I was looking into some programs for full-time professionals such as Graziadio/Pepperdine MBA:
http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/programs/mba/

Please inform your opinion regarding which route is preferred. Thanks in advance.
 
AUG2UAG said:
So is it advisable to go after the MBA after working for a little while (when all the "schooling" is complete)? I was just wondering which route to take... the combined degree route or the previously mentioned. I was looking into some programs for full-time professionals such as Graziadio/Pepperdine MBA:
http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/programs/mba/

Please inform your opinion regarding which route is preferred. Thanks in advance.

I think the main concern you need to address is in what aspect you plan to use your degrees. If you are planning to be a practicing physician and are looking for the basic business skills to lead a successful practice, an in-depth MBA may not be the route for you. An MBA is designed to provide a broad depth of knowledge into the analysis and development of investments far beyond the scope of most medical practices. If, however, you interest is the development a biomed tech company I think it would be advisable to pursue a career in that path for a few years post-medical school to get a better idea of what you will need to look for in a potential MBA program. If you are simply looking to get a grasp of running an office, there are many more effective and less costly (in terms of money and time) routes than pursuing an MBA.

Adam