SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

work experience in personal statement?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by pupsingh, Apr 8, 2007.

1. pupsingh

pupsingh New Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2006
    is the personal statement an appropriate place to describe your work experience and how it helped shape the person youve become? or can this be explained somewhere else?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero 5+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    yes, the personal statement is the place you can describe your work experience and how it influenced your life.

4. pupsingh

pupsingh New Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2006
    but isnt the prompt for the personal statement :" why do you wanna be a dentist?"?

5. Snahster

Snahster 2+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2006
    you talk about your work experience if it is relevant to the prompt. E.g. you discovered your work ethic and business skills and feel those talents would enable you to open your own dental practice someday.

6. Mstoothlady2012

Mstoothlady2012 5+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2007
    FL
    like snahster said if your work is somehow related to dentistry or if you developed skills that would help you in ur future career (dental) then only talk about work...otherwise i would say it is not appropriate to talk about work in PS

7. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero 5+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    you could talk about work if you needed to work your way through undergrad or something like that. there is no set format for your personal statement and there are thousands of different directions you could take when writing it but like it has been said before make sure you talk about why you want to be a dentist.

8. Ex_EE

Ex_EE 2+ Year Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Houston
    I used my personal statement to explain how working as engineer influenced my desire to be a dentist. I think it was very important for me to talk about in my personal statement.

9. messenger

messenger Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2006
    OP, yes, the PS is basically for "why you and why dentistry"

talk about that in WHATEVER way you want...and just make sure it is unique/stands out, not "oh, i like people and stuff"...adcoms know you like people and want to help..make it an original and interesting read

at one interview, i was complimented about my writing skills, but thats all she said, "you are a wonderful writer" ....didnt talk about specifics in the essay. dont know if that was good or bad actually.

10. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Akron, OH
    ABSOLUTELY. It is funny how much everyone agonizes about what is appropriate to put in the essay or say in the interview. ADCOMs somehow seem to see through B.S. probably through experience. As long as you are honest and relevant you will be fine. I never mentioned once in my personal statement or interviews that I enjoy working with people because it sounded too cliche. They somehow can just see those things in writing and in person.