Work Experience Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inaccensa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need some input here. I currently work as a clincial lab tech (started in 07) and before that I worked for a bank as a teller. Should I enter teller as a work experience? I learned how to talk to people which is the only thing I can use for med school. If I dont include teller, then its pretty much one work expeirence

I will have 3 experiences as a volunteer

Members don't see this ad.

I would because it shows that you have some real life work experience especially with customers. It also shows that you have had a job where responsibility matters.

I would because it shows that you have some real life work experience especially with customers. It also shows that you have had a job where responsibility matters.

+1 :thumbup:

Everything contributes. Even if you think the job has little significance as related to medicine, it builds your character.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I hear bank teller I think customer service, dealing with difficult situations (people bouncing checks, running out of money, getting turned down for loans, etc), trust (allowed to handle large amounts of other people's money, etc).

Don't take yourself too seriously or carry it too far, but certainly you had the opportunity to develop applicable skills through that job!

Pardon my spelling mistakes..was rushing. Thanks for all your input. I came across a suggestion that we should write the experience as bullet points, is this correct?

Pardon my spelling mistakes..was rushing. Thanks for all your input. I came across a suggestion that we should write the experience as bullet points, is this correct?

Depends on what you're writing it for. Typically if it's for a secondary, then yes a bullet point will be fine. But if it's for your Primary (there's a spot for work history) then you should elaborate more on how it shaped your character.

I would include it. I included customer service work I did for a department store. This type of work really teaches you a lot about how to deal with many types of people.

Hey guys,
I need some input here. I currently work as a clincial lab tech (started in 07) and before that I worked for a bank as a teller. Should I enter teller as a work experience? I learned how to talk to people which is the only thing I can use for med school. If I dont include teller, then its pretty much one work expeirence

I will have 3 experiences as a volunteer
Include it. You can fluff and spin that crap all you want to make it look good for an app. Add it.

Nothin to add but just wanted to say hey to another med tech. MT, BB ASCP here ;)