work full time and PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

greenteacup

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I was wondering what is the BEST way to study for PCAT if I do not have a lot of time. I work full time and can only spend a few hours a night and weekends for PCAT.

My sister told me to do a bunch of practice tests and not review the materials. What do you guys think?

Please advice!
 
Well its hard to say given the information you provided. Did u just finish the classes required or has it been a while since you took all those science classes? How fresh is the material in your mind? If its been a while, I would recommend reviewing the material before you start taking the practice tests. I realize its hard both working full time and preparing for a test, but with proper time management, I'm sure u'll be fine.
 
if you want to score well on verbal, you have to review the material. by review i mean get familiarized with the types of passages and questions for reading comp, and memorize words for the verbal section unless you are like already a walking dictionary.

it seems like a ton of people score badly on verbal on any standardized test because they think "it's just reading, i know how to read" and then don't study, and subsequently fail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The information you provided is incomplete -- you did not say how long it was until you have to take the PCAT. Studying a few hours a day won't work if you have, say 3 weeks until your PCAT. If you had 3-6 months...much better.
 
Hi all,

I was wondering what is the BEST way to study for PCAT if I do not have a lot of time. I work full time and can only spend a few hours a night and weekends for PCAT.

My sister told me to do a bunch of practice tests and not review the materials. What do you guys think?

Please advice!
You should probably review materials, AND do practice tests. Studying a few hours a night and weekends is fine if you have several weeks to prepare, but don't try if you only start a week or two before.
 
As others have said, not sure how much time you have before you take it, what your background is (how much school you've had, if you're currently a student or going "back" to school, etc.).

If you haven't started studying at all, I would recommend doing a practice exam to gauge your strengths and weaknesses. The sections where you do great, don't spend as much time studying for those - the ones where you do poorly, focus on studying for those.

I don't remember which books I used - it was too long ago - but since I had been out of college for about 10 years when I took the PCAT, I had to study math and chemistry a LOT but didn't spend much time studying for the other sections. A lot of it is going to depend on your background and your personal strengths and weaknesses.

I think taking practice exams is a good way to familiarize yourself with the types of questions (and as I said before, to identify areas you need to work on), but I don't think using them alone is enough (unless you are already totally awesome in every area of the exam!).

I also worked full time while I was preparing for the PCAT - I didn't take any vacation time, but here is what I DID do:

1) Practice exam - decided I needed to really study chemistry and math and brush up on biology - decided not to worry about RC or Verbal because I did well in those sections

2) Made a study plan - spent about 1-2 hours a night about 5 nights a week reviewing the sections I had decided on. I started studying about 6 weeks before taking the exam.

3) Took another practice test to check my progress

4) After hitting bio, chem, and math hard, I did a brief review of the RC and verbal sections just to feel good about it.

5) Did a couple more practice exams to feel comfortable with the time restraints and question formats.

6) Took the PCAT

Just remember, you won't be able to study and/or memorize everything - so try to hit the high points and draw on the knowledge you already have from school. Good luck!