Work/Life Balance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

justanotherapp

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a resident, love cardiology. Think its fascinating and rewarding career.
I go to a top IM program and have decent research/CV, but I am questioning whether this is worth it or not.

I keep working thinking the end is year and it will be better as a fellow/attending. I do not want to work 60+ hours as an attending or be on call for most weekends. I am beginning to resent my choice in IM (versus radiology/derm) but I am not interested in any other subspeciality but cardiology. Other options I am- healthcare consulting, preventive cardiology fellowship, integrative medicine.

Should I reconsider? Or is there a viable option in the future. Not sure if anyone else has been in this position.
 
I work about 60-70 hours a week, but only 1 in 8 weekends and I get ten weeks of vacation a year.
One of my general cardiologist friends works about 50 hours a week and rarely takes weekend call. She doesn't make fantastic money but has a very nice home life.
My practice is hiring somebody who will only be working about 30 hours a week, only seeing patients in clinic and reading studies. This is an unusual scenario but obviously it exists.
So there are a variety of career trajectories after training, even in cardiology. The tendancy, however, is that in most cards jobs you're going to be working 60+ hours a week.
 
I work about 60-70 hours a week, but only 1 in 8 weekends and I get ten weeks of vacation a year.
One of my general cardiologist friends works about 50 hours a week and rarely takes weekend call. She doesn't make fantastic money but has a very nice home life.
My practice is hiring somebody who will only be working about 30 hours a week, only seeing patients in clinic and reading studies. This is an unusual scenario but obviously it exists.
So there are a variety of career trajectories after training, even in cardiology. The tendancy, however, is that in most cards jobs you're going to be working 60+ hours a week.

Agree. As a cardiologist in a busy academic medical center, I think I was more protected as a fellow.
The hours are not horrible; I do average about 50-60 hours when I am not on service.
My other interest is in healthcare policy and administration: it's not compatible with being a clinical cardiologist in the institution I am in; so may do this gig for a year or two.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work about 60-70 hours a week, but only 1 in 8 weekends and I get ten weeks of vacation a year.
One of my general cardiologist friends works about 50 hours a week and rarely takes weekend call. She doesn't make fantastic money but has a very nice home life.
My practice is hiring somebody who will only be working about 30 hours a week, only seeing patients in clinic and reading studies. This is an unusual scenario but obviously it exists.
So there are a variety of career trajectories after training, even in cardiology. The tendancy, however, is that in most cards jobs you're going to be working 60+ hours a week.

If you don't mind me asking, are you non-invasive, invasive or interventional? What kind of salary, if you know, do these lower hour setups go for?
 
If you don't mind me asking, are you non-invasive, invasive or interventional? What kind of salary, if you know, do these lower hour setups go for?
I'm interventional. Most interventionalists you talk to are taking substantially more call than I have to... I just happen to be in a particularly nice set-up so far as that goes. So don't expect to go interventional and only work 1 in 8 weekends.
I have no idea what the practice is going to pay this new "part-time" cardiologist... presumably about $200K or something, but I don't know. I should also say that I have personally only known one other person who worked "part-time" in cardiology, so I do believe this is a highly unusual circumstance. But then again, I've never looked into it myself.
 
I am in private practice in some small hospitals without cath labs. They needed cardiologists so badly that they offered a schedule with no weekends and no call coverage. If patients get sick over night, the tertiary care center cardiologists are contacted. Same on the weekends. The pay is excellent. I have been here 3 years already, hopefully it will last. If you look hard enough you can find a cardiology job with good hours. The VA frequently has positions with good hours as well that can still give a rewarding cardiology career. Also, the need for outpatient cardiology is great. Some big groups may set up a special deal with Mon-Fri clinic only (with some imaging of course). Our group of about 50 cardiologists has 2 such physicians at the main tertiary care center.