Work Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not an urban legend. One night when I was an ED volunteer - with scrubs of a distinctly different color, with "volunteer" monogrammed on the chest - I was emptying the linens when a patient started arguing with their doc (a woman). The doc told the patient to sit back and let her do the exam, but the patient wanted to see a real doctor, and pointed to me.
When I volunteered in the ED I had a few people ask if I was the doctor when I was taking their information. I would be wearing a pair of jeans and a red golf shirt that said "ER Volunteer" and an ID tag around my neck that also said "ER Volunteer" on it. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

When I volunteered in the ED I had a few people ask if I was the doctor when I was taking their information. I would be wearing a pair of jeans and a red golf shirt that said "ER Volunteer" and an ID tag around my neck that also said "ER Volunteer" on it. :confused:

You're assuming a level of literacy and deductive reasoning which is not present in many of our patients.

Bah, my new program requires the residents to wear dress shirts and neckties. White coats are optional.

what program requires such a strict dress code? up here in the Bx it's usually jeans/cargo pants and a tshirt or scrubs. all my friends make fun of me b/c i actually wear my white coat, but to be honest it's saved me a few times from getting sprayed by art bleeds/ugib's/vomit etc. and they wash them for free for me. :)