Work opportunities for vet students at Ohio State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cscip

OSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'll be starting as a first year at Ohio State this September, and the huge amount of loans I've taken out has me in sticker-shock. I worked in a lab on campus throughout undergrad; I didn't make that much but it was enough to help out with living expenses.

Several people have told me to wait until after the first quarter to start thinking about working and I think that's good advice. I just want to get a feel for what kinds of jobs vet students typically have. I think teching would be way too stressful along with school, but is it common to work in a lab? What about something low key, like working at a book store?

Anyone know of anything specific at Ohio State or in Columbus?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually didn't work at all my first year, and I don't know how I would have. Then again, I have horses, so any free time I had was spent at the barn. I know one of my classmates worked a few hours in the vet med library, which was a good job because she could study at work. I have another friend who worked a few days a week as an assistant in the surgery department (and is full-time there this summer). There are also extern opportunities in the vet hospital - I think they involve 3rd shift, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm teching this summer in Grove City, and will continue to work there on Saturdays throughout the school year. If you are interested in a tech job, there are a lot of vet hospitals in Columbus that are willing to hire vet students. The clinic I work at is very understanding with the schedule.

As far as other jobs - I can understand wanting something non-vet-related! Keep in mind that (especially if you are looking for something close to school) you will be competing with the undergrads for jobs in places like bookstores (who may have more flexible schedules and are willing to make less $).

Hiya, I am also starting at OSU CVM in the Fall. I got my MPH at OSU this past year, and I have been working in an emergency clinic for a year and a half. The hours are nice b/c we're open 24 hours. I've been told by the doctors at the clinic, who worked there thru vet school at OSU, that if I can work while in school, I should...b/c I'll be able to apply things I learn at the clinic...and the more exposure, the better. Advice I am taking to heart. I'm a vet assistant two days a week, and I am the receptionist another day a week. Thinking about dropping one of those days, but I thrive with too much to do!