Work RVU rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroGuyIP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been happily employed by a health system for 6 years now with the same work RVU, $61 per RVU since I started. Is it unreasonable to renegotiate this number and if so, what is the best approach? This is my only job out of fellowship so I am not experienced with this type of thing. Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
2021 data

Attachments

• 3682081E-C9C7-48CE-B0FD-6D36ED37B298.png
    3682081E-C9C7-48CE-B0FD-6D36ED37B298.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 364
2021 data
thanks for posting this. I'm a little confused though. Which of these columns is the wRVU $ value? I thought the average $/wRVU was somewhere around $68

thanks for posting this. I'm a little confused though. Which of these columns is the wRVU $ value? I thought the average $/wRVU was somewhere around $68

It’s the compensation to work RVU ratio I believe

Correct, compensation to work RVU. I got this from a friend who is an employee of a hospital in Missouri. I don’t work on RVU so I really don’t have much knowledge of it. Just know this is what he gave me from his hospital

This includes ASA units, so perhaps some of these are doing anesthesia on the side so their $ per wrvu looks very high.

Ok I finally figured it out.

Let’s say the median $ per wRVU is 50. For hospital employees or people who pay no overhead this is what they’ll take home.

For people who do pay overhead then this number is not accurate. Say overhead is 50%. That means the equivalent $ per wRVU is 2 x 50 = 100.

However, this comparison is not as direct as it seems. Why? Because the person paying overhead should also be getting ancillary income from midlevelers, imaging, testing, DME, and facility fees/cut from ASC.

Hope that helps.

$50.3 per wRVU here. Was around $52 when I started, but a year later they decreased it for the whole department.
wow..how common do people usually hear of decreasing $/RVU? never even thought about that

did they at least decrease your RVU threshold for bonusing? or are you straight $/RVU from day 1?

wow..how common do people usually hear of decreasing $/RVU? never even thought about that

did they at least decrease your RVU threshold for bonusing? or are you straight $/RVU from day 1?
No. Nothing changed. Our targets were never adjusted. We basically all just agreed to get paid less for the same amount of work.

They’re going to probably decrease our rate at the end of the year. Trying to prepare myself and come up with a game plan on how to successfully put up a defensive

Say no.
Agree to whatever percent change the person telling you is getting.
Sadly, said that. Their reubuttal is you’re highly compensated. Stark law. Board concerns. Etc. anything to not pay.

Sadly, said that. Their reubuttal is you’re highly compensated. Stark law. Board concerns. Etc. anything to not pay.
are you highly compensated with regards to MGMA data?
Stark law is BS excuse
What Board concerns??? is there any evidence to support these concerns from the hospital?

you're right, anything not to pay

are you highly compensated with regards to MGMA data?
Stark law is BS excuse
What Board concerns??? is there any evidence to support these concerns from the hospital?

you're right, anything not to pay
Yes. And board concerns are paying more than mgma top will trigger audit etc.

Yes. And board concerns are paying more than mgma top will trigger audit etc.
I'd imagine your $/wRVU is reasonable and you're a productive physician. You deserve what you're getting. And admin is paid on your facility fees.

I am in the same boat. My impression, at the 10 year mark, is that my salary will continue to decline in terms of WRVU's. I work at about the 85th percentile, not as much as others on this site but hard enough for me.

I am up for renegotiation this year and have asked for my total collections (I Imagine around 2 million) between office and surgery center. I do 80 percent pain (20 percent anesthesia at my request). Look at your salary and see how it compares to a percent of collections. The general rule is close to 40 percent but arguments can be made either way. More importantly when they talk about overhead have them break down what that means. I personal want a line-by-line list of what my "overhead" is in terms of what I am paying for. I won't be taking a decrease. I will be taking a walk before I do that and in fact will be asking for a raise. Remember the only person that is generating money is you, not the admins, etc. Your highly compensated because you generate that money. Your "pay" comes from what YOU generate, not them.

Reactions: 3 users