Quantcast

Work study/Financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrx04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
What's up guys,
I 'm about to send in my financial award notice to my school, but I have a question regarding the amount of cash i've been awarded. In the notice, my total amount includes $2300 for work study, and I'm wondering if I need this to cover all my bills. Does the basic financial aid awards give you enough to pay off everything you need (tuition, room and board, transportation, etc...) or do I have to do a work study program? I don't really want to worry about working while in school, especially my first year when i'm not too familiar with the curriculum, but i guess i'll do it if i have to. Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

ODtobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are going, but at PCO you don't have to use your work study money unless you want to. You can use all, some, or none of what you are awarded.

meb302

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
wrx04 said:
What's up guys,
I 'm about to send in my financial award notice to my school, but I have a question regarding the amount of cash i've been awarded. In the notice, my total amount includes $2300 for work study, and I'm wondering if I need this to cover all my bills. Does the basic financial aid awards give you enough to pay off everything you need (tuition, room and board, transportation, etc...) or do I have to do a work study program? I don't really want to worry about working while in school, especially my first year when i'm not too familiar with the curriculum, but i guess i'll do it if i have to. Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Wow, you got that award notice really early! I'm not expecting mine till around the end of May, or later!

wrx04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ODtobe said:
Not sure where you are going, but at PCO you don't have to use your work study money unless you want to. You can use all, some, or none of what you are awarded.
Yeah, but you only get the money if you actually work for the school...right? I want to know if they calculate this $$ into the amount that you need to actually cover all your bills. So basically, do you need to use all, some, or none of what you are awarded in order to be set financially? I'm going to Ferris State in Michigan.

ODtobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The total budget they give is usually inflated to allow for things like health insurance, buying all of the books and equipment they offer (usually not neccessary), living alone, etc. I personally do not use all of the total budget but some do. At PCO your work study is taken out of unsubsidized stafford loan money, meaning that if you don't want work study you can get that much extra added to unsubsidized stafford up to the total budget. In other words, if you do take the work study, you will get that much less in your loan disbursement check. You only get the money if you actually work. It's usually a joke though- I spend much more time studying than working during work study and get paid for it. You'll probably have time to do it.

wrx04 said:
Yeah, but you only get the money if you actually work for the school...right? I want to know if they calculate this $$ into the amount that you need to actually cover all your bills. So basically, do you need to use all, some, or none of what you are awarded in order to be set financially? I'm going to Ferris State in Michigan.