work-study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwyeth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
quick question... i'm trying to get my fin aid stuff together and was wondering about the federal work-study. if i accept it, will i be working or is it just a name for a loan? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

bwyeth said:
quick question... i'm trying to get my fin aid stuff together and was wondering about the federal work-study. if i accept it, will i be working or is it just a name for a loan? thanks

You will be working, which is not recomended in dental school.

JRogoff said:
You will be working, which is not recomended in dental school.

You'll be working AT the dental school, doing cushy jobs that require no effort at all. You can only work until you reach your maximum amount (which is $2000).

All the jobs at ASDOH pay $8 an hour, but there aren't any taxes on it. The jobs require no effort, but you won't get huge paychecks. Most of them are making $50-100 bucks a week (which helps pay for gas and lunches).

Working isn't recommended in dental school, but federal work-study programs are just fine and many students across the country participate in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also forgot, go ahead and apply for the work-study if you want the money. If ASDOH can't find you a working position (for example, I have a feeling that all the students in my class will probably have taken all the jobs), then you can take out that money through a loan if you decide you need it later.

If you apply and don't get a job and don't want the money, then no harm done.

They offer Federal work-study for professional school? I thought that was an undergrad-only type of thing.

I wasn't aware of anyone in my class or any of the other classes who had Federal work study, at least not as an official part of their financial aid package. There were a number of odd jobs around at the school you could do (tutor, work for the CE dept, work for dental repair, etc.), regardless of your financial need.

I'm not at Arizona, but I'm just curious if dental students at other schools get Federal work-study as well.

At Nova Dental, we have Federal Work Study "student jobs" as well. Jobs like librarian, tutoring, secretarial positions, CE course helpers, etc are all available to dental students.

Yah-E said:
At Nova Dental, we have Federal Work Study "student jobs" as well. Jobs like librarian, tutoring, secretarial positions, CE course helpers, etc are all available to dental students.
and how much do these generally pay you Andy? (as in per hour etc) and how many hours do you guys actually work per week?

I, personally, am not in a Fed Work Study (FWS) student position! I am not 100% sure, but the pay is not anything extravagant. I would venture a guess around $7.50 - $10 range/hour.

Remember, FWS are for those students that does not want to borrow all Fed Stafford loans so they use this program to earn the difference. You can not borrow max Stafford amount for the year and use a FWS program.