Work-Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mthwong

Aspiring California O.D.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as I'm filling out my financial aid forms for SCCO, I'm contemplating work-study. I've never done work-study before, and was wondering if it is possible especially in the optometry school academic environment. Any suggestions or personal experience would be welcome. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So as I'm filling out my financial aid forms for SCCO, I'm contemplating work-study. I've never done work-study before, and was wondering if it is possible especially in the optometry school academic environment. Any suggestions or personal experience would be welcome. Thanks.

A lot of my classmates did work study in their 1st year, and I think a little less are doing it for 2nd year since things got way busier. So if anything, you should be able to manage some work study hours in your first year, especially with the 1st and 2nd quarters because the load isn't so bad. Lots of the jobs are really simple i.e. admin work, and you can also TA or tutor as well (I did the latter two). It's a good idea to sign up for it just in case, because you can sign up for work study but that doesn't mean you have to work - you're basically eligible for work if you sign up for it.

I did work study every year. There are a ton of campus jobs that don't require a ton of effort and if you manage your time, some of them will allow you to just come when you can. I always picked jobs that I could do at times when I didn't have a test the next day.

A check for a couple hundred dollars was great. Even the time when I made $90 was a nice bonus.