Work with cchoukal in Sunny Marin County, CA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cchoukal

Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone, we're hiring at Anesthesiology Consultants of Marin, a physician-owned anesthesia practice just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Our primary practice is at a large, level II trauma center, and we cover a handful of small surgery centers.

The quick and dirty:

We are hiring due to retirements and service expansion.

Our model is physician-administered care, fee-for-service with fair and transparent scheduling, assignments, and case selection, with a blended unit and a free market of trading calls.

Track is 2 years, buy-in is small, and income, vacation, and scheduling are otherwise the same for employees and partners.

OB is in-house 12-hr shifts with the day off after overnights. Typical labor deck is 1-5 patients with about 70% getting epidurals, 17% sections, 1800 births a year, no high-risk OB.

OR call is home call with 40% call-back and 90% of the time the next day off. Daily work end time varies with peel-off system.

Case mix is bread and butter. Some cardiac (CV team), some healthy peds, lots of ortho, urology, gyn, spine, the occasional crani, Mr. Roboto, etc.

Income (collections minus overhead) depends on workload and call preferences, but for full-time work would generally range from 600K to 700K, from which the group pays benefits, profit-sharing annual max, and generous deductible business expenses, all pre-tax obviously, leaving the rest as salary. I should add, the hospital has offered a sign-on bonus of 50K (75K for cardiac) for a 2 year commitment.

My experience with the group:

My weeks average 35-50 hours, depending.

Admirably transparent with finances and decision-making.

Incredibly supportive partners.

System is efficient and I rarely find my time wasted (and unpaid).

Call is incentivized to the point where I have never had to work a call I didn’t want.

Surgeons are reasonable and collegial. The pace is efficient, but not malignant.

PM me for other details or to connect with our leadership.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
can you share details about the “2-year track”?

Is there a reduction of income? Different case picking / scheduling position? Reduced call stipend? Cash buy-in?

Sure. 2 years until any voting rights. The rest is equal from day one with one exception. They don’t call it a buy in, but essentially it is. The group takes 10% of unit-based revenue (not any of your call-based revenu) up to a cap in the mid-5-figures. Aside from this, access to vacation, case assignment, call payments, is all equal, fair, and transparent.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it production only? Paid a daily rate + overtime or only anesthesia start to stop? How long are the OR turnovers? What are partners typically making?

Production only, units, anesthesia start to stop, except call and OB, obviously, which are supported. Earnings are widely variable based on work habits, as we have some part timers. One of our ads says around 600, which is total comp (63k into an account, reimbursable expenses), but after overhead. Happy to talk more specifically about earnings via PM.

Turnovers usually decent, often good (less than 30).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user