1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Work

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by simhawk, May 31, 2008.

1. simhawk

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am a nontraditional studend I finished all my prereq. and retaking the MCAT. I have to support my family of 3 children and I was a former teacher. Since I didn't make it into medical school this year I don't know what to do: Should I teach for this upcoming school year or should I look for a medical related job? I was a nursing assistant years ago but my certification ran out so I can't do that anymore. Bottom line is I have to support my children and that is why I would go back to teaching. One catch to all this is I would have to move out of state in order to teach. Or I can stay where I am and work a minimum wage job and not make ends meet. I am hoping I will get in next year: fall 2009. Anyways does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tbo

tbo MS-4
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First of all, I admire your perseverance. It sounds like your plate is as full as most anyone in this forum, if not more. My opinion on this matter is simple - survive. I got into 1 medical school by a hair this year and during the wait, I was forced to really evaluate what was truly important to me. In full view of not getting into med school I decided that moving closer to my family was most important to me and while I was sitting on a lucrative job elsewhere, I decided I would move home even with a lower salary.

I would encourage you to evaluate what's most important to you. Is it your kids? Is it med school? Is it establishing a strong plan B for your future if medicine doesn't work? Is it moving away (and therefore helps solve your teaching question)? Do you enjoy teaching enough to continue making that happen? Etc. I think if you can sort that out, you'll be on your way. Med school will always be there. Best of luck.

4. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Your family's security should be your most important priority. Getting into medical school is likely to be a multi-year endeavor for you (seen from reviewing your old posts). I suggest you move wherever you can get the best job (hopefully allowing you to establish residency in a state with several DO/MD schools). As a non-trad with three kids, Adcomms will understand that you can't take a low-paying, medically-related job. You can however keep your hand in with medical volunteerism or physician shadowing in the meanwhile.

5. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I fully concur and was told by a premed advisor (as an applicant in a similar professional situation; salary in "old" career is very different than salary as an entry-level healthcare person) to pursue the position that will pay what you are professionally worth rather than a medically related position that will pay substantially less. Mostly because one has to eat, to a lesser extent because if something radically changes and the applicant does not go into medicine, it may be tough to explain a 1 year entry-level healthcare stint to an interviewer in your field.

Several schools have mentioned that they typically see around 100-200 medically related (clinical) hours, which can readily be obtained (or continued during the reapp process) in a volunteer capacity 1 or so days per week; that's what I'd suggest.

6. simhawk

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just want to thank you everyone for the input. I have volunteered at a hospital before-I think I will go back to that. I did try to shadow two physicians but was unsuccessful because of the HIPAA law-they said I really could watch them do anything-they could only talk to me about their job and answer any questions I may have.

7. tbo

tbo MS-4
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's surprising. That's a particularly strict interpretation of HIPAA, but there's no point in arguing that. Look around some more and I'm sure you'll find willing preceptors to shadow.

If I was being too reflective before, I'd say definitely take care of your family first. While it seems you're very dedicated to this career path, make sure you kids are making well for themselves as well. As mentioned, med school will always be there.

8. simhawk

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I understand what you are saying, kids grow so quickly too. I know that medical school will always be there but I just don't want to be too old for it! I know the schools are not supposed to discriminate against age but I am sure they do.

9. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Actually, med schools try to build each class to be as diverse as possible. This includes admitting students representing other than the traditional age group.