Workflow issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm.D2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Newish PIC here. When I took over metrics were pretty low. Within a few weeks of me being there things were trending up. Then corporate came in and pushed CPW down our throat, it’s mandatory, not an option to not follow it. I work in a small district and have frequent visits from dm, so nodding when he’s around and then doing the opposite is not an option. Now we can’t seem to finish the days work, so metrics are trending back down. I’m consistently leaving 50+ in fill at close. How do I make this work? I have three techs from 9-12, and my closer works 12-830. I have to have 2 techs up front and only 1 filler in the morning. We constantly have people at pick up and covid testing through the drive up. Add in covid shots and realistically I have 1 person running the front, one doing shots and one filling. At noon when the closer comes in we start on the order. So still only one filler. And then lunches start. I get maybe 1.5 hrs after lunches before openers start leaving where I have two fillers. I’m not short staffed, in fact I’m about 60 hours over my tech budget. I just don’t see how it’s physically possible to get everything done, I’m trying and feel like crap that I’m failing at it. So how does your store make it work?

Members don't see this ad.

Production efficiency based on setup/surroundings/drug locations update (computer settings can help you or hurt you greatly)
Use to working solo/former overnighter (insight on efficiency); as a daytimer, I find being able to communicate and have techs execute efficiency is a whole other can of worms (maybe because I'm not PIC/too smart to take PIC positions)

Members don't see this ad :)
Core Pharmacy Workflow

prob like the Workstation Assignment Board at CVS

Reactions: 1 user
Newish PIC here. When I took over metrics were pretty low. Within a few weeks of me being there things were trending up. Then corporate came in and pushed CPW down our throat, it’s mandatory, not an option to not follow it. I work in a small district and have frequent visits from dm, so nodding when he’s around and then doing the opposite is not an option. Now we can’t seem to finish the days work, so metrics are trending back down. I’m consistently leaving 50+ in fill at close. How do I make this work? I have three techs from 9-12, and my closer works 12-830. I have to have 2 techs up front and only 1 filler in the morning. We constantly have people at pick up and covid testing through the drive up. Add in covid shots and realistically I have 1 person running the front, one doing shots and one filling. At noon when the closer comes in we start on the order. So still only one filler. And then lunches start. I get maybe 1.5 hrs after lunches before openers start leaving where I have two fillers. I’m not short staffed, in fact I’m about 60 hours over my tech budget. I just don’t see how it’s physically possible to get everything done, I’m trying and feel like crap that I’m failing at it. So how does your store make it work?

You should understand that only about 10% of corporate retail pharmacies run well. It is not you…

Im sorry your feeling this way. This truly is the hand we are dealt and there is not much we can do about it. They will make you feel like you are the only one that sucks. The reality is that they have made the decision that customer service and a positive work/life balance is not what they are after. And if they don’t get what they want - they will continue to pressure you until you break.

I have decided that, for me, I will never do it again unless it goes back to how it was pre 2015. And I don’t know if you were in pharmacy in 2015 but we made a whole lot of compromises back then too. These days it has crossed the line. It has literally become like a fast food restaurant and both corporate and the public expect you to make it happen as fast as chick filet.

the best thing you could do is to tell them to take the job and shove it up their _…..

with all of the social engineering of late, the value of our paychecks has plummeted.. 50/hour is really nothing special anymore. 20 years ago it was worth the hustle - now it’s just not…. I would rather make 20/hour at Amazon and collect the plethora of state benefits available. That would kick things up to a value of about 35-40/hour. Then convince my spouse to work a menial job then - viola! I’m at about the same income…

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user