1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

working abroad with a pharmacy degree

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by green, Mar 31, 2004.

1. green

green Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hi i was just wondering- if you go to pharmacy here in the U.S. can you take that degree and work abroad- say England for example? I know that a degree in pharmacy leaves someone with a lot of flexibility and I wanted to know if working in another country is an option. Anyone ever work abroad in any aspect of pharmacy or know anyone that has? If you have tell us about it :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Shanana

Shanana Member
    7+ Year Member

I have also wondered about this question, does anyone have input?

I figure you would probably have to pass a board exam of some sort in whichever country you decide to practice.

s

4. baggywrinkle

baggywrinkle cranky old fart
    7+ Year Member

While not as great as for nursing or medicine, opportunities
    do exist abroad for American trained pharmacists. The easiest road is to work as a civil servant in an American military hospital
    overseas, or work in an American territory such as Saipan.

If you desire to work as an expatriot in the English speaking world you will face licensing requirements every bit as rigerous as a foreign trained pharmacist coming to America. Any country but Canada will require going back to school and an apprenticeship. In other words you really gotta want to be there.

For example, to go to Australia you will need to train into the British system of drug names, pass a written and oral/practical exam and complete an apprenticeship under the APEC rules.

http://overseasnurse.com/Pharmacist_Countries/Australia.htm