Working another semester as a Chemistry TA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatIndividual23

Reaction score
I'm an undergraduate third-year and premed student, and I plan to apply to medical school next year. I worked as a Chemistry 101 TA for a semester, and was wondering if it would be worth continuing for another semester. I do not have a lot of volunteering related to leadership, and was wondering if there would be any benefit to working as a TA for the same class for another semester?

Members don't see this ad.

I TA’d for nearly 3 years and it was a lot of fun + a good way to consolidate info I learned in classes. I’d keep doing it unless it gets in the way of studying or accruing clinical + nonclinical experience

Members don't see this ad :)
Worth it. You will thanks yourself when you apply.

When you say you don't have a lot, don't you mean you have none? What opportunities can you get as a junior?

Honestly, what other activities are you involved with?
I've done 1-on-1 English practice with refugees for a year, I played piano at an elderly nursing facility for a semester, I've volunteered at a cancer center outpatient clinic for a semester, and I've worked in a research lab since freshman year. I have much more research experience than clinical or non-clinical volunteering, and I'm worried that I won't have enough volunteering experiences by the time that I apply in my senior year. I plan to continue with these activities next semester.

Only if it gets you a stronger letter from the professor you are TA'ing for. Otherwise, there is not really an additional benefit. Your time would be better spent doing non-clinical volunteering in the community like at a food bank.

Reactions: 1 user
I've done 1-on-1 English practice with refugees for a year, I played piano at an elderly nursing facility for a semester, I've volunteered at a cancer center outpatient clinic for a semester, and I've worked in a research lab since freshman year. I have much more research experience than clinical or non-clinical volunteering, and I'm worried that I won't have enough volunteering experiences by the time that I apply in my senior year. I plan to continue with these activities next semester.
I agree that continuing as a TA is helpful if it results on a great LOR. You also worked in a research lab since freshman year. I am going to hope: these are two different professors? Perhaps different departments? Are you getting paid to TA?

In terms of hours, you definitely need a balance with clinical, non-clinical, and research, and if you feel you won't have enough community service experiences, I would focus there. Your descriptions don't really take you out of your comfort zone so much, so you need to find something that will really open your eyes to "the real world" that most underprivileged communities are experiencing.

Reactions: 1 users