working as a tech with old cranky floating pharmacists walmart vent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtran007

Pre-Pharmacy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just retire already, they type with one finger while looking up on the computer screen and down the keyboard. asking them to visualize or four-point is for a waiter is like pulling teeth.

Members don't see this ad.

just retire already, they type with one finger while looking up on the computer screen and down the keyboard. asking them to visualize or four-point is for a waiter is like pulling teeth.

Were you so shhhteamed over this pharmacist who can look at the keyboard and screen simultaneously that you lost the ability to formulate a coherent sentence?

(insert joking/smartass smiley here)

Were you so shhhteamed over this pharmacist who can look at the keyboard and screen simultaneously that you lost the ability to formulate a coherent sentence?

(insert joking/smartass smiley here)
Well, you know what I mean. I do not need to look at the keyboard when I type. I love working in the pharmacy but there are some people in the pharmacy I can not stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you know what I mean. I do not need to look at the keyboard when I type. I love working in the pharmacy but there are some people in the pharmacy I can not stand.

I understand what you're saying but I don't agree with your attitude toward them. Yeah you might be typing without looking at keyboard now but can you type the rx's without making mistakes? Can you catch drug interaction or too high of a dose? Have patience for others and you will feel working in the pharmacy is not so bad after all.

is that all youre annoyed about? its not their fault that when they were in school, computers werent invented yet. there must be something else that they did that is ticking u off!

We have a couple of floaters that suck cajones. The worst one gives the weakest consultations I have ever heard (answers q's like Sarah Palin) and doesn't have a multitasking bone in his body. Another one that sucks bad is a dude who seems to hate his job and is either an a-hole or just indifferent to the patients. Despite techs walking out and rufusing to work with them ever again and endless customer complaints they refuse to acknowledge their weaknesses and/or improve upon them. These guys have shown me the kind of pharmacist I don't want to be.

I worked with a pharmacist who was good for looking over my shoulder and saying "Huh" (cause he couldn't keep up with my computer skills) as well as holding up the counter. He retired shortly thereafter.

is that all youre annoyed about? its not their fault that when they were in school, computers werent invented yet. there must be something else that they did that is ticking u off!
I said they're cranky!
I understand what you're saying but I don't agree with your attitude toward them. Yeah you might be typing without looking at keyboard now but can you type the rx's without making mistakes? Can you catch drug interaction or too high of a dose? Have patience for others and you will feel working in the pharmacy is not so bad after all.
you obviously haven't work in a pharmacy before. This is retail we're talking about.
We have a couple of floaters that suck cajones. The worst one gives the weakest consultations I have ever heard (answers q's like Sarah Palin) and doesn't have a multitasking bone in his body. Another one that sucks bad is a dude who seems to hate his job and is either an a-hole or just indifferent to the patients. Despite techs walking out and rufusing to work with them ever again and endless customer complaints they refuse to acknowledge their weaknesses and/or improve upon them. These guys have shown me the kind of pharmacist I don't want to be.
So true. I underlined for emphasis. When they working on computer and the phone rings, they just pick up and hang up and don't even answer the call. Working with them, you have to give the customers at least 1 hour and a half to two hours to the next day wait even though we get only about 230 scripts a day. They complain more than they work. I don't hate that they're slow or unable to multitask but they're get angry and cranky when someone asks them to do something.

Last edited:
I can totally relate to your point of view! I also work retail, and we do about 600 scripts per day. It is really not helpful to have someone around that grumbles and complains or does as little as possible. We have a staff pharmacist that goes and takes naps, dusts the shelves, etc and ignores us when we call for consults. He says that techs are there to do the stuff that he "does not want to do". He has lost perspective, I think. I have worked with a lot of really great pharmacists, that I will definitely use as role models for the kind of pharmacist I want to be, and I have worked with a few (but just a few) that set examples for how not to be.

I AM complaining about how that staff pharmacist cannot/does not muti-task in my high volume store. The job isn't about how straight the fast mover section is, or when his next nap is going to be, and that is all he is concerned with. It is incredibly difficult to work around that kind of attitude!

just retire already, they type with one finger while looking up on the computer screen and down the keyboard. .

Be nice, this is the type of Pharmacist I'm going to be! I can't type fast to save my life, but I feel I will be competent enough to the rest of my job just fine.

I said they're cranky!

you obviously haven't work in a pharmacy before. This is retail we're talking about.

Yah, this is retail we're talking about? And how long have you worked at retail may I ask?
FYI, I've worked at retail pharmacy for over 7 years.

Whats more annoying than a cranky floating pharmacist, is a technician who ASSUMES that the pharmacist is suppose to help the tech, or ASSUMES that they know what a pharmacist's role is in the pharmacy, or they ASSUME they can do a better job than the pharmacist.

Anyways, I let the tech's ASSUME whatever they want, I even let them ASSUME that the pharmacy world revolves around them, because by the end of the day, when I am going home, I can care less what the technicians think of me as a intern.

Whats more annoying than a cranky floating pharmacist, is a technician who ASSUMES that the pharmacist is suppose to help the tech, or ASSUMES that they know what a pharmacist's role is in the pharmacy, or they ASSUME they can do a better job than the pharmacist.

Anyways, I let the tech's ASSUME whatever they want, I even let them ASSUME that the pharmacy world revolves around them, because by the end of the day, when I am going home, I can care less what the technicians think of me as a intern.

And you are going to be the type of pharmacist that makes the entire staff miserable. The pharmacy does not revolve around the pharmacist, or the intern or the techs. I have been a pharmacy technician for 18 years, and a certified technician for 10 of those years. I don't think that technicians "assume" what pharmacists are "supposed to do" but there are certain expectations that are placed on all parties in the pharmacy, and bad attitudes become apparent to the staff, and the customers/patients. If you do not want to have your reputation precede you (I do not mean that in a positive context) in future endeavors, then you need to learn how to be a team player. Arrogance is not a quality to strive for.

I am a future pharmacist and am currently working as a tech. Pharmacists should know that a tech is there to help them. And a tech should know that they are there to help the pharmacist. But it is a two way street. Sometimes the Pharmacist, RN, whatever abuses the Techs. They always see us and be mean to us and expect us to do everything. Cut the crap. Without techs, you won't have help and you have to do everything. And we, techs, have to know that without Pharmacists to put in the order, we won't have a job. I am lucky to work in a pharmacy where everybody doesn't mind helping each other out. There are no animosity within our little family. We all know what our function is, and we don't mind helping the others finish their jobs.

And you are going to be the type of pharmacist that makes the entire staff miserable. The pharmacy does not revolve around the pharmacist, or the intern or the techs. I have been a pharmacy technician for 18 years, and a certified technician for 10 of those years. I don't think that technicians "assume" what pharmacists are "supposed to do" but there are certain expectations that are placed on all parties in the pharmacy, and bad attitudes become apparent to the staff, and the customers/patients. If you do not want to have your reputation precede you (I do not mean that in a positive context) in future endeavors, then you need to learn how to be a team player. Arrogance is not a quality to strive for.

BRAVO! My sentiment exactly.

Pharm Trout: Well said.

You guys should go ask your pharmacist what is expected of them, and what is expected of you. You guys seem to think that technicians and pharmacists share the same skillsets and are hired for those very same skillsets, and that is far from the truth. A technician is prized for their ability to multitask, their speed in which they can process and fill a prescription. As a intern, we are trained to analyze and assess a patient and their prescription, to make sure they are receiving the correct medication in relation to their diagnosis, and to make sure they receive proper instructions on how to use and store the medication. Ultimately, as a pharmacist, I am not getting paid to multitask, I'm not getting paid to pick up the phones, I am not getting paid to do anything that may jeapordize the patients health or my employer's reputation. The pharmacist works at his/her own pace (some are faster than others), but they all have the same responsibility.

I'm not saying that a pharmacist shouldn't help his techs, thats far from it. I help out the techs every chance I get. I want my techs happy, they work harder, and make the pharmacist's job easier, but don't get it twisted, tech's have no business telling the pharmacist what to do, because its not the tech's license on the line, nor is it the tech in any position of authority.

I was a tech for a good number of years also, so don't feed me this BS that your experience as a tech will somehow give you some valuable insight as to what a pharmacist does or thinks or is trained to do, because you don't have a clue. Otherwise, we'd all be happy as technicians, and the PTCB will start giving out pharmd degrees to whoever has 75 bucks.

PharmTrout: How did you figure me out, I didn't know that you could figure out how miserable my staff will be from just one post that I made. It must be from your decades of work as a technician, and not to mention your 10 years as a certified technician, must have made you a expert in analyzing internet posts. :sleep:

Oh yea: HAPPY thanksgiving:smuggrin:

You guys should go ask your pharmacist what is expected of them, and what is expected of you. You guys seem to think that technicians and pharmacists share the same skillsets and are hired for those very same skillsets, and that is far from the truth. A technician is prized for their ability to multitask, their speed in which they can process and fill a prescription. As a intern, we are trained to analyze and assess a patient and their prescription, to make sure they are receiving the correct medication in relation to their diagnosis, and to make sure they receive proper instructions on how to use and store the medication. Ultimately, as a pharmacist, I am not getting paid to multitask, I'm not getting paid to pick up the phones, I am not getting paid to do anything that may jeapordize the patients health or my employer's reputation. The pharmacist works at his/her own pace (some are faster than others), but they all have the same responsibility.

I'm not saying that a pharmacist shouldn't help his techs, thats far from it. I help out the techs every chance I get. I want my techs happy, they work harder, and make the pharmacist's job easier, but don't get it twisted, tech's have no business telling the pharmacist what to do, because its not the tech's license on the line, nor is it the tech in any position of authority.

I was a tech for a good number of years also, so don't feed me this BS that your experience as a tech will somehow give you some valuable insight as to what a pharmacist does or thinks or is trained to do, because you don't have a clue. Otherwise, we'd all be happy as technicians, and the PTCB will start giving out pharmd degrees to whoever has 75 bucks.

PharmTrout: How did you figure me out, I didn't know that you could figure out how miserable my staff will be from just one post that I made. It must be from your decades of work as a technician, and not to mention your 10 years as a certified technician, must have made you a expert in analyzing internet posts. :sleep:

Oh yea: HAPPY thanksgiving:smuggrin:

Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote. Your post exudes arrogance in the statement that "I don't care what the techs think of me at the end of the day". At no point did I suggest that the tech should tell a pharmacist what to do. Pharmacists need to be able to multitask, and most can. Those that can't or don't tend to cause a lot of problems. And by the way, I do "have a clue" as to what pharmacists are trained to do, and how they think because I have completed the first professional year of pharmacy school. I don't have to use my years of experience as a technician to analyze what I read in an internet post. I just have a great ability to understand what I read the very first time I read it.

I must have struck a nerve with you in my reply. My suggestion to you was that you would be better off not letting your attitude dictate the kind of person you are going to be when you are at work. If you choose to be a jerk, do it on your own time and not towards the technicians. Just because the technicians that you work with seem to have issues with authority or have attitude problems, does not mean that technicians every where have that problem.

I think this conversation has reached its end, and things are just going to proceed to get nasty from here. Anything else that you could possibly say at this point will just be defensive and offensive.

I hope you don't choke on your Thanksgiving meal. :rolleyes:

tech's have no business telling the pharmacist what to do, because its not the tech's license on the line, nor is it the tech in any position of authority.
This kind of attitude will get you nowhere and being miserable and unable to sleep at night. I have a staff pharmacist that does not do much. He keeps on texting his friends and cracking jokes with staff and customers all day but no one complains about him. We actually love to work with him. He doesn't give an attitude when I ask him to do something because the things we tell him to do is required by law. We ask for help when we're overwhelmed with too many fills, for example.

I think this conversation has reached its end, and things are just going to proceed to get nasty from here. Anything else that you could possibly say at this point will just be defensive and offensive.

I hope you don't choke on your Thanksgiving meal. :rolleyes:

agreed, and thank you for voicing your opinion, and likewise with your thanksgiving meal.