Working at 2 different retail pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmtastic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most retail pharmacy dont want their pharmacists and techs to work for another competitor. But what about interns? Do they care? I'm currently working for chain A but also like to apply for chain B's summer internship program. Should I put chain A as my employer on the application. If I do, I'm afraid I wont get in the program. If I dont, I will falsify the application? Will chain B find out that chain A is my employer through the backgroud check? Please advise. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine doing that. Putting your current employer on your app is okay, because why would you quit before applying for a new job?

Most likely you'll be hired by a pharmacist, or someone who deals almost exclusively with pharmacy interns. Within that context, working for a "competitor" is more perception than reality. While the chains compete with one another for business, you're all colleagues, and you're all on the same side, regardless of who you work for.

There's no reason you could do the summer internship at CVS and then go back to WAG for the duration of the rest of the year while you're in school. (Or whatever the arrangement would be.) I don't think working the two simultaneously would be good, though.

I think you need to be honest with both places about your intentions. Who knows, maybe they won't mind? You don't want to get caught in a lie over this and have something hanging over your record in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have an easy solution

don't work retail.

find a hospital that wants an intern:laugh::clap:

I currently work for two different retail chains and it is not a problem at all. I started with one chain and am now thinking about signing on as a pharmacist with another chain. They let me start as a tech there to see if I like it. Both know I am working for the other and no one cares.