Working at a hospital pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kendrick lamar

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
So I'm doing my rotation at an institutional site right now and so far most of it was really just gettin drug info questions from the pharm manager and spending the day looking up for answers and working on diff projects. I haven't really hung around with the hospital pharmacists and really seen how they do what they do on a typical day-it seems like short staffing is a problem here so sometimes they can't give that kind of attention to students. I am thinking hospital setting might be my kinda place to find work as I've heard people who hadn't worked in school, like me, typically found jobs in the hospital, and the pharmacist here told me they really like to hire students here all the time. Plus I do like the environment a little more than retail. I'm just nervous because I went to the IV room and actually practiced doing IVs for the first time since school (where i did it only once). We watched the USP 797 video a few weeks ago, but I don't really seem to grasp things from videos once I see it in person and the pharmacist who was helping me seemed annoyed that I didn't recall some stuff and she seemed sorta shocked that I didn't have a job. She thought I was a p1 lol 🙁. I feel like not having experience put me a little behind a lot of things, but I would like to think I can pick up on things that I'm learning and seeing at a proper hospital setting for the first time. I guess I was just wondering typically how difficult it is to become a hospital pharmacist without a prior job and how difficult it is to pick up the pace of the work here once you start working as a new pharmacist. What are some things to know at the back of your head if you consider working in a hospital setting?
thanks
 
I was just wondering typically how difficult it is to become a hospital pharmacist without a prior job


In many areas, hospital jobs are going to people who completed PGY1 residencies. Having at least a long term internship at a hospital would be helpful. I would keep all of your options open at this point in time...
 
In many areas, hospital jobs are going to people who completed PGY1 residencies. Having at least a long term internship at a hospital would be helpful. I would keep all of your options open at this point in time...

I really am because I feel like I have no choice-retail, hospital, independent. I'm even applying to some residencies. I'm graduating in 2014 so it's too late for me having experience beside some volunteer opportunities at free clinics I'm looking into
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a per diem position at a hospital with nothing but retail experience and no PGY-1. Of course, it's only per diem, not full time.

But I did do an APPE there and I think I impressed them. Gotta make sure to take advantage of those opportunities and think of rotations as job interviews rather than classes.
 
I got a per diem position at a hospital with nothing but retail experience and no PGY-1. Of course, it's only per diem, not full time.

But I did do an APPE there and I think I impressed them. Gotta make sure to take advantage of those opportunities and think of rotations as job interviews rather than classes.

Yup, now impress them while you're there per diem and when a position opens up get it.