Working conditions by state.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdn1977

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While reading the Target/Wags thread, I got to thinking about the working conditions in other states. I chat w/ pharmacists when I get/take a copy from other states, so I know those of us in CA are blessed. A few years ago, our State Dept of Labor mandated a 30 minute meal break for pharmacists (yeah...it had to go that far to be a regulation!). But, I remember when it wasn't that way & know few other states mandate this. Do you feel its important? Would you work w/ your state organizations to make this change? I don't think I'd ever go back now. I'm interested in your opinions......oh..also, we are paid overtime if we work overtime by law...its not a corporated decision (because they are tight!)

Members don't see this ad.

In this state (WA) "key medical personnel" can have breaks withheld if there is no one else there to cover for them. The inpatient pharmacists here are brainwashed into thinking that if meal breaks are required, they will lose the respect laden title of "key medical personnel". What has happened is that most get lunches whenever is "convenient" for staffing purposes. They don't typically take the two 10 minute breaks they are accorded by law. That is more an issue of not wanting to coordinate the breaks, and feeling they are expected not to take them.

Most retail places give pharmacists a lunch if there is a 2nd pharmacist on staff. If there is no other pharmacist, most places will not give a lunch break. We are required by law to post our scheduled hours of business. Places that close for lunch are required to post that on their signage. If there is no break indicated in your signage, you aren't supposed to just close the gate and put up a "back in 30 min" sign. The state board's authority to inspect is determined by your signage, so if they show and you are closed, you can get in trouble. Few pharmacists that I have worked with take regular 10 minute breaks. But, sometimes they will step out for coffee or something.

I'm not sure if we have a state law in Florida for lunch breaks (they didn't cover that in my pharmacy law class). But, everyplace where I've worked either closes with one pharmacist or has coverage in place to take a 30 minute lunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
No mandated lunch breaks in Kentucky. Some pharmacies close for lunch, some don't. The pharmacy that I work for now (Kroger) doesn't close for lunch. I just changed stores and the one I came from always had 2 or 3 pharmacists during the hours of 10-7, so they could rotate breaks. However, it was the norm at that store for some of the pharmacists NOT to take a break. There was pressure (subtle) for me as an intern to do the same. No stools or chairs in that store either. I once stood for 10 hours straight processing scripts without sitting down or leaving the work area. It was a tough adjustment because in my previous career I worked at a desk job.

My new Kroger store is different. It's slower, and there is never more than one pharmacist. I've only worked with the pharmacy manager, and he takes pretty frequent smoke breaks. Our smoking break room is close to the pharmacy and has a phone in it so we can call him if we need him. That pharmacy also has stools and chairs we can sit in if we want to sit while processing, etc. It's definitely less taxing physically.