Working For Corporate Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briansle

Cell A
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know if you could direct me to any past threads regarding this topic or offer advice from personal experience. Just finished WREB's, now I'm looking for work. I'm completely clueless as where to start. What to watch out for and what to look for. I've been contacted by people out in Texas, who are offering positions, with pay packages that seem too good to be true. They cover licensing expenses, as well as relocation money, and offer base pay with %prod. For a new grad with no exp, that's sounds pretty unbelievable. Then I asked a few more questions and they told me their patient pool is 80-90% children. I'm assuming they see mainly Medicaid patients.

I've heard of places like this as a student, I know there's mixed opinions. Anybody actually work for one these places and would you offer your insight? Times are hard, and I'm prepared to go wherever the jobs are, but I would like to know what I am getting into. Of course management is going to tell me one side, but I would also like to hear from actual dentists.

Members don't see this ad.

i just read hammer's thread on starting a practice.

okay looks like these places r the sixth rung of hell.

Anyone walk away with a positive experience?

the thing about those medicaid practices that see mostly children is that your going to be seeing ~40 patients a day. many of these patients are screaming, crying, and wont sit still. to say that it's stressful is an understatement. to make matters worse many of these offices are un-ethical and may bill for un-necessary procedures under your name; putting your license at risk. so you have to stay on top of them. in my opinion it's nice to do it for a year or so, make some guaranteed money and gain some experience; but you wont last long there; but it could be a nice stepping stone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like KoolSmile. I've always wonder why they do not let the parents in the treatment room. Anyone knows?

some major A whooping going on maybe?

Anyone has comments on Gentle Dental?

Actually Ive worked for Kool Smiles for over 5yrs as a hygienist. We do let parents in the back for hygiene and operative. I actually love it there. It is a busy environment and Im sure its not for everyone.There isnt a lot of kids screaming all day either, the majority of kids do really well. I start dental school in July and if I dont do the army I will def go back and work for them to start off.

Actually Ive worked for Kool Smiles for over 5yrs as a hygienist. We do let parents in the back for hygiene and operative. I actually love it there. It is a busy environment and Im sure its not for everyone.There isnt a lot of kids screaming all day either, the majority of kids do really well. I start dental school in July and if I dont do the army I will def go back and work for them to start off.
:rolleyes:

To the OP: Don't do it.

I've heard mixed reviews about them, most of them negative. From what I've read, this is because the office manager runs the practice and they are not dentists/don't understand treatment plans. They push for production since that's what the offices are based on.

That being said, don't let people discourage you from doing it. Most jobs nowadays are corporate jobs because of the economy and you have to look out for yourself. Like a previous poster said, hopefully it'll be a stepping stone towards something in the future.