Working Hours for Optometrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potential123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours do optometrists work during a week assuming they have a commercial business job?

Members don't see this ad.

usually 5-6 days a week, from 10-6....sometimes less days depending on the setup.

ALWAYS on Saturdays. Sometimes Sunday (if you're in a busy location and the optical manager believes he's missing a sale). You will have one day off during the week. Maybe two if you can find a fill-in (shouldn't be a problem in the future).

Hours around here are 8:30 to 6 most days with a late evening till 8 pm one day per week. (Heaven forbid a person would have to miss work for an hour appointment).

In other words, no time to see your kids in a play at school. Or their baseball practice/games. Or soccer games. Or Saturday morning free time with the kids.

But, hey.............it's money, right.

If you are man (or woman) enough to make it in private practice, you can set your own hours and never miss a kid's event. That is, if you care about being a good parent.

Members don't see this ad :)
ALWAYS on Saturdays. Sometimes Sunday (if you're in a busy location and the optical manager believes he's missing a sale). You will have one day off during the week. Maybe two if you can find a fill-in (shouldn't be a problem in the future).

Hours around here are 8:30 to 6 most days with a late evening till 8 pm one day per week. (Heaven forbid a person would have to miss work for an hour appointment).

In other words, no time to see your kids in a play at school. Or their baseball practice/games. Or soccer games. Or Saturday morning free time with the kids.

But, hey.............it's money, right.

If you are man (or woman) enough to make it in private practice, you can set your own hours and never miss a kid's event. That is, if you care about being a good parent.

I work at America's Best. The optometrist hours are 9:30am-6:30pm on weekdays, 9:30am-5:30pm on Saturday, and 12:30-5:30 on Sunday. The weekends are paid the same as weekdays even though they're shorter. I work Saturday and Sunday and have Tuesday and Wednesday off (volunteered for it to get the short Sunday). My commute is 5 minutes each way. There is 1 hour for lunch. I have cut into lunch by 10 minutes maybe a couple of days but generally I wind up getting 15 extra minutes for lunch. I am sitting idly about 30% of the time and seeing patients 70% of the time.

How many hours do optometrists work during a week assuming they have a commercial business job?

It's not just the hours that can be bad (I haven't worked a Saturday in years) but you've got to consider the working conditions. I hear they do 8 "exams" an hour, which is ridiculous if you want to do any kind of health assessment on your patients.

It's not just the hours that can be bad (I haven't worked a Saturday in years) but you've got to consider the working conditions. I hear they do 8 "exams" an hour, which is ridiculous if you want to do any kind of health assessment on your patients.

See my other posts for my exam sequence and my experience with the scheduling. It is possible, just requires planning and having good technique.

How long do you think the opthalmologist takes? Would you say that Neil Gailmard does ****ty exams since he has 15 minute slots?

Biggest problem with ocular health assessment at AB isnt time, it's that they dont have a threshold field machine or OCT so you're sort of in the dark when you need a closer look at neuro or fundus stuff. Hence the need for referrals to guys that own such equipment.

See my other posts for my exam sequence and my experience with the scheduling. It is possible, just requires planning and having good technique.

How long do you think the opthalmologist takes? Would you say that Neil Gailmard does ****ty exams since he has 15 minute slots?

Biggest problem with ocular health assessment at AB isnt time, it's that they dont have a threshold field machine or OCT so you're sort of in the dark when you need a closer look at neuro or fundus stuff. Hence the need for referrals to guys that own such equipment.

It's true anyone can see 40-50 patients per day...............but not out of one exam room. Gailmard and most every OMD has 5 or more exam lanes along with multiple techs doing most of the work. THAT's a BIG difference.

It's true anyone can see 40-50 patients per day...............but not out of one exam room. Gailmard and most every OMD has 5 or more exam lanes along with multiple techs doing most of the work. THAT's a BIG difference.

Gailmard has two lanes per OD at his location. You can't use more than two with a net gain of efficiency. I've been to his practice.

Fail.

Gailmard has two lanes per OD at his location. You can't use more than two with a net gain of efficiency. I've been to his practice.

Fail.

You can't use more than two per OD? Where do you get this stuff? This is hilarious! There are high volume OD office (only a few) in this country that have one OD seeing patients out of 6 to 8 rooms. All of the lifting is done by techs and the OD spends less than a 3 minutes with each patient. The idea that an OD would max out at two? - that's awesome, chief. Now, you, yourself probably wouldn't be able to do that (for one, you're not a licensed OD yet, you're a 1st year student, but I digress....) because you'd have too much weighing you down in your lab coat. How could one possibly move through multiple exam rooms carrying a bunch of TIB septums, 15 different condensing lenses, your gonio lens, D&I kit, MIO, a BIO, a trial lens set, probably the lens clock you just bought for lab, ret paddles, your diagnostic set, your home made phoropter, a picture of Carnie Wilson, your warm wubby blanket, your lucky rabbit's foot, and an extra deodorant (just in case the patient load really fires up in the afternoon)? I understand you squeeze all that in for every patient because you're lighting fast on the scopes, but c'mon, dude - let's be real here.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how one is "employed" as an optometrist? That type of arrangement doesn't exist up here in Canada.

So how does it work? AB actually hires you? Then you do eye exams and make a fixed salary? What stops them from making you see one patient a minute? Or nothing does? So in theory, a "quiet" optical might have you sitting around all day doing nothing, yet collecting the same salary?

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how one is "employed" as an optometrist? That type of arrangement doesn't exist up here in Canada.

So how does it work? AB actually hires you? Then you do eye exams and make a fixed salary? What stops them from making you see one patient a minute? Or nothing does? So in theory, a "quiet" optical might have you sitting around all day doing nothing, yet collecting the same salary?

I've never encountered an optometrist who was actually employed by America's Best. In most states it is illegal for a corporate entity to employ a doctor. However, there are ways to circumvent the laws through some kind of doctor owned and operated subsidiary. Most of the people I know who are working or have worked for America's Best were employed by a company called National Vision. I don't know much about them, but they appear to be a middleman between corporate optical and optometrists. The cool thing about this situation is you get to answer to two bosses. Both of which are probably 8 years younger than you with 8 years less education. These aren't the kind of people you'd want to be signing your paycheck.

By that same token, working for other optometrists sucks almost as much. They pay you about half of what you'd make if it was your own office, offer minimal to zero benefits, prefer that you only fit their old stock of frequency 55 lenses that they foolishly bought a lifetime supply of, and make false promises of "gee golly, when I retire in 50 years, this could all be yours." What's worse is that they will likely perpetuate an attitude that they're doing you some kind of favor by being in their private practice. These aren't the kind of people you want to be signing your paycheck either. Homey doesn't play that game and neither should you.

On the other hand, I have come across numerous employee positions throughout my short career that were actually quite lucrative. Not surprisingly, most of them are from ophthalmologists. These situations are perfectly legal and typically have a decent salary with benefits. I remember having health and dental insurance, a 401k match and compensated CE. If you want to be an employee, this is where you should go.

If one were intelligent, he or she would work for ophthalmology, start a practice of their own or buy out an old dude at an extremely low rate who has a teal phoroptor and slit lamp that has one of those wheels instead a joystick. I hate those effing SLs; but hey, I got a great deal on a practice.

Fail.

Dude, you really need to lay off the crack pipe. Gailmard has one of the biggest optometry practice in the country. He employs 4 other ODs. Here is his practice website and photo : http://www.gailmard.com/ourpractice.htm
http://www.gailmardeyecenter.com/additional-resources

The guy has an office that is 10,500 sq feet in size. That is approximately 10,300 sq feet larger than your refracting closet at Americas Best :)

Of course, all you students reading this with your mouths drooling.......please remember Gaimard started his practice way back in 1970's--- part of the heyday of optometry. Do not attempt to repeat his success or you will be quickly in bankrupt in all probablity.

Last edited:
I have a colleague who is currently employed at a private practice that is owned by two other OD's. Each doc there (including the owners) works 5 days a week. The practice is open on Saturdays (but not Sundays) and most of the docs there do work at least some Saturdays. The OD hours are 9-6 with an hour lunch or 9-4 if it's a Saturday.

Members don't see this ad :)
6. Optometrists

> Future job openings as a pct. of 2010 employment: 68.4%
> New openings, 2010 to 2020: 23,400
> Median annual wage: $94,990

The number of optometry jobs is expected to grow from the 34,200 jobs in 2010 to 45,500 jobs in 2020, an increase of 33.1%. The BLS projects 23,400 job openings will have to be filled, with 11,300, or just under half, to job growth. The other 12,100 openings, representing 35.4% of the current headcount, will arise due to replacement needs. But you better like school if you want one of these optometry jobs. In addition to holding a bachelor's degree, optometrists must earn a doctorate in optometry, which takes an additional four years. The median pay of $94,990 is the 36th highest of all professions, but it is far smaller than the pay of physicians. The median pay for doctors in primary care was $202,392, while the pay for those in medical specialties was $356,885.

6. Optometrists

> Future job openings as a pct. of 2010 employment: 68.4%
> New openings, 2010 to 2020: 23,400
> Median annual wage: $94,990

The number of optometry jobs is expected to grow from the 34,200 jobs in 2010 to 45,500 jobs in 2020, an increase of 33.1%. The BLS projects 23,400 job openings will have to be filled, with 11,300, or just under half, to job growth. The other 12,100 openings, representing 35.4% of the current headcount, will arise due to replacement needs. But you better like school if you want one of these optometry jobs. In addition to holding a bachelor’s degree, optometrists must earn a doctorate in optometry, which takes an additional four years. The median pay of $94,990 is the 36th highest of all professions, but it is far smaller than the pay of physicians. The median pay for doctors in primary care was $202,392, while the pay for those in medical specialties was $356,885.

To say that there will be a 33% increase in jobs for optometrists in 10 years is to strain all limites of credulity.

To say that there will be a 33% increase in jobs for optometrists in 10 years is to strain all limites of credulity.

Agreed. Totally rediculous garbage printed by a low level (yet surely overpaid) government bureaucrat. Most ODs are only 50% booked today, so no way in hell there is going to be a 33% increase in the number of eyes needing attention in the next 100 years. If we didn't graduate another OD for 20 years, we'd still have plenty of ODs to see patients.

They should probably be sued for false and misleading advertising.

Felt compelled to come here after my experience today.

I've always gone to Walmarts eye doctors where they had day shift hours. Really consistent like 10 to 6 or 11 to 7.

I drove mom to a Sears Optical as we planned to do errands in the area today. I called few days earlier to make appt for an exam, but the phone would ring and ring and leaving voicemails didn't help. I also wanted to check the hours the were open. Then I did a new tactic and called into the eyeglass store to ask if it was walk-ins welcome or better to make appt. and what the hours were. The optician said (for Tuesday to Fri hrs) that Tues and Wed it was 9 to 1pm and Thurs. 3:10pm to 6pm. Yup. you read that right. I had to do a double take and ask her to repeat the dr. hours. She also said she didn't have the appt. book as that was locked up in the dr. office, but TO JUST TRY CALLING. WTF, that would have been fine if they had regular hours! Then I presumed when I got there that AT LEAST they would post up the office hours. There was no sign at all but just a sign saying not to drink or eat in the office.

So we get there 3:20pm and mom went in for her exam. Some more patients came in and I asked them if knew of these odd hours. They said they were shopping around and were just as shocked as I about them. In fact, the weirdest part was that the optician saying Thurs. hours would be 3:10pm to 6:00pm was wrong; she corrected herself and told me and the patients it would be 3:10-4:30!!!!!! WTH?

We didn't ask the eye dr. why he worked so little hours or if he worked elsewhere. He wasn't even the main eye dr. as his name wasn't on the prescription pad but some other dr as he was just an associate.

The eyeglass store at Sears did open 7 hrs a day.

Felt compelled to come here after my experience today.

I've always gone to Walmarts eye doctors where they had day shift hours. Really consistent like 10 to 6 or 11 to 7.

I drove mom to a Sears Optical as we planned to do errands in the area today. I called few days earlier to make appt for an exam, but the phone would ring and ring and leaving voicemails didn't help. I also wanted to check the hours the were open. Then I did a new tactic and called into the eyeglass store to ask if it was walk-ins welcome or better to make appt. and what the hours were. The optician said (for Tuesday to Fri hrs) that Tues and Wed it was 9 to 1pm and Thurs. 3:10pm to 6pm. Yup. you read that right. I had to do a double take and ask her to repeat the dr. hours. She also said she didn't have the appt. book as that was locked up in the dr. office, but TO JUST TRY CALLING. WTF, that would have been fine if they had regular hours! Then I presumed when I got there that AT LEAST they would post up the office hours. There was no sign at all but just a sign saying not to drink or eat in the office.

So we get there 3:20pm and mom went in for her exam. Some more patients came in and I asked them if knew of these odd hours. They said they were shopping around and were just as shocked as I about them. In fact, the weirdest part was that the optician saying Thurs. hours would be 3:10pm to 6:00pm was wrong; she corrected herself and told me and the patients it would be 3:10-4:30!!!!!! WTH?

We didn't ask the eye dr. why he worked so little hours or if he worked elsewhere. He wasn't even the main eye dr. as his name wasn't on the prescription pad but some other dr as he was just an associate.

The eyeglass store at Sears did open 7 hrs a day.

Seems like you really value the health of your eyes and vision. :thumbup:

Just to offer a little different perspective...

I work for a hospital, which is rare, but its 8am-5pm weekdays only. We don't get a week or two off for Christmas or anything but there are 20 vacation days a year and 15 CME days.

As to some of the previous posts about patient volume, I have 3 exam lanes and patients in 15min slots. I always have at least 2 techs doing prelims. I see a lot of pathology and I feel like the majority of the time I have plenty of time to sit and answer questions, talk about hobbies and get to know my patients. There are times, typically after a day full of diplopia cases, that I am rushed but that isn't very often. Personally I feel that spending 10-13min face-to-face with each person is a good amount of time and is more than needed if you learn to be efficient.

Just to offer a little different perspective...

I work for a hospital, which is rare, but its 8am-5pm weekdays only. We don't get a week or two off for Christmas or anything but there are 20 vacation days a year and 15 CME days.

As to some of the previous posts about patient volume, I have 3 exam lanes and patients in 15min slots. I always have at least 2 techs doing prelims. I see a lot of pathology and I feel like the majority of the time I have plenty of time to sit and answer questions, talk about hobbies and get to know my patients. There are times, typically after a day full of diplopia cases, that I am rushed but that isn't very often. Personally I feel that spending 10-13min face-to-face with each person is a good amount of time and is more than needed if you learn to be efficient.

....and if there were more positions like yours, optometry would not be facing the massive crash that will arrive in the next few years. Hospital positions can be great for those who seek that type of position, but as you already stated, they're rare.

Jason,

I agree that there can only be so many of these jobs. Just like a community can only support so many hospitals. More hospital jobs just won't happen, they won't build a hospital and hire docs of the community cannot support it.

KHE,

My starting salary was based on a national average. It increased depending on how much I bill. There are 3 OD's here with me and after 1-2 years we all make about the same, which is close to twice our initial salary.
The pay is a little confusing, but I get paid for the previous 6 months of work. So I get the same paycheck for 6 mos, then it is re-evaluated. It can only raise by 15% and only go down by 10%
As I said, we get 20 vacation days, and 15 CME, but if you're out of the office then you're not seeing patients obviously. $4,000 CME/dues, covers hotel, travel, food, meetings, etc..
They pay all license fees.
We have an optical but that is really not a big source if income for the docs. Small bonus for number or scripts filled but not % from total sales.
Anything else?

Just to be fair and not mislead anyone about optometry (which seems to be a bit of a hot topic on here), I do have to mention that after boasting about having plenty of time with 15min slots, I had a 12yo shot with a BB OS that needed a lot of reassurance, 2 more ER f/u and a mystery possible TED. That took most of my lunch, put me well behind and I'm still working on it. So it's not a prefect system. Lots of apologies for the delays today... hopefully the afternoon clinic is a little better.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm bored at the moment, and I feel compelled to reply to this comment: Time does make a difference in providing good care. Fifteen minutes from a comprehensive eye examination on a patient with moderate eye-disease may or may not be enough, but certainly one needs help to accomplish the goal — technicians, secretaries, scribes, et cetera. With good support, the number of feasible encounters increases dramatically. One also needs multiple examination lanes for such efficiency, so one can move from room to room; say, three to five active lanes.