Working in Alaska.. do you think it's worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met some people recruiting for pharmacist positions. If you work for them for two years they will pay off your student loans plus pay a salary around $120,000 a year. The catch is that it's for a hospital in Alaska.

Would you do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hell yeah. Alaska is one of my two destinations once I get out. It's about the only way I can get my wife to let me get a snowmobile.

Where at in Alaska? Anchorage is a pretty mild climate (similar to northeast).
Its also a decent sized town, 250-300k people. Decent place to live.
However, I bet you'd be stuck some place like dillingham or nome, which really IS the boonies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to someone who's lived in Alaska. It's NOT for everyone and two years is a long time to spend there. The cold weather and long nights can get depressing. Cost of living is not so bad anymore, though (my aunt said a loaf of bread was like 3 or 4 dollars in the '70's!).

How much time off do you get?
How many hours per week do you have to work?
Do they pay for moving costs?
How are the benefits?
How's the crime rate?
What happens if you quit early?

Read the contract CAREFULLY!

-X

crossurfingers said:
I met some people recruiting for pharmacist positions. If you work for them for two years they will pay off your student loans plus pay a salary around $120,000 a year. The catch is that it's for a hospital in Alaska.

Would you do it?

crossurfingers said:

Would you do it?
What do you stand to leave behind if you go to Alaska for two years?

as a former alaskan
i'm biased

I lived and grew up in Anchorage.
I hear that its more strip mall lately..

But if you like snow AT ALL, or enjoy the outdoors, its incredible.

I want to go home some day. Watch the endless sun in the summer, the insanely goregous mountains in the winter. Play in snow. Not have to go to work b/c the WHOLE STATE gets shut down with a blizzard.

Hiking, camping , catching king Salmon
Besides 120,000 for Alaska is pretty good.
i'm not sure what the current cost of living is now,
but when i left it was less than where i am now, seattle

if you have any more questions and want to email me feel free
[email protected]

crossurfingers said:

Would you do it?

Hell ya man. It all depends where you are gonna be going in Alaska. But for only 2 years, Alaska is an adventure. Now if you don't have any interest in nature and you don't like skiing, fishing and the whole nature thing. Then you will hate Alaska. So yea I would go, but it is really person dependent. good luck.

crossurfingers said:

Would you do it?

I considered moving to Alaska after graduation, but I decided against it. Although the salary offer may be 120k, I found the housing prices to be extremely high for primarily older homes with almost no lot. I believe that food and many other items are priced higher there as well.

If I were you, I would base about 90% of my decision to move out there on whether or not you would be happy living there. It may be a big plus if you are the outdoorsy type or if you like to fish/hunt.

rent a place there till your contract is up, then take all the money you saved up, move home and buy a nice place to live :)