Working in the field or observing a lot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfung

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming I stay on track with all the pre-reqs i need to take, I'm hoping to apply to schools in the fall of 2005. I graduated in '02 from Cal Poly, SLO with an engineering degree. 2.8 GPA

Obviously my GPA isn't very competitive, though based on what i've heard from some admissions people, engineering GPAs tend to be lower than non-engineering GPAs.

Currently I'm working at a great company (Qualcomm) here in San Diego doing high tech stuff, and I'm taking night classes to fulfill my pre-reqs. However, I'm thinking in order to stand a chance and get into an optometry school i need to do well in my pre-req classes and OAT. Likewise, my extracurricular activities need be pretty good too.

I'm contemplating leaving my job to work part time at some random Optometrist's office just to gain experience and to make me more competitive. However, I'm concerned that in the event I dont get into optometry school, I'll be...

a) Slim chances getting in to opto school the following year
b) Slowing/stunting my progression in my current profession (comp. engineering)

Do you think shadowing and observing for a number of hours would suffice versus leaving my current job and getting some tech job at an opto office just to make me more 'competitive'?

I'm a bit concerned. I'm also getting married in March and working part time at $8/hr w/ no benefits (opto job) vs. what i'm getting paid now w/ benefits is scary.....

Any advice for a confused future applicant?!

Members don't see this ad.

Given your situation, I would not quit my job just to work at "some random optometrist's office" for experience. You can always ask the optometrist if you can come in on the weekends to observe. If you're going to apply in the fall of 2005, you have plenty of time to shadow and do internships. It's not how many hours you put into it, it's what you get out of it. Hope that helps.

nobodyknows said:
Given your situation, I would not quit my job just to work at "some random optometrist's office" for experience. You can always ask the optometrist if you can come in on the weekends to observe. If you're going to apply in the fall of 2005, you have plenty of time to shadow and do internships. It's not how many hours you put into it, it's what you get out of it. Hope that helps.
I totally agree with nobodyknows -- don't quit your day job! You'll want to save up as much money as you can before you eventually quit to go to optometry school, anyway. The only other thing I'd stress is that you're right about wanting to do really well on your pre-reqs and OAT -- make sure you have enough time for your studies with your job and new marriage (congrats, BTW! :)).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto everyone else's comments. I had a 2.9 engineering GPA and have been working the last 7 years since graduation. Also, I'd imagine that the pre-reqs you are taking now boost your GPA a little like in my case. My OAT scores aren't in, but I still have gotten interviews and was accepted to SUNY last week. My optometry experience was limited to observing 4 different optometrists in a couple different settings (private practice, public clinic), probably a total of 15 hours.

I would concentrate on your wedding primarily and on your pre-reqs/OAT. And keep your job, unless you are absolutely sure that
a) you want to be an optometrist no matter what,
b) you need (and will use) the extra time for pre-reqs/OAT, AND
c) you can survive without the money.

Best of luck to you, and congrats on the pending nuptials! :)

Thanks for the helpful and encouraging words.

It's been a little stressful thinking about changing jobs, getting engaged, getting married, taking pre-req night classes, and just making it through the business of the day.

Glad to hear there are others out there who have gone or are goign through the same things as I. :)

Yes, i'm very excited about getting married and planning my honeymoon! woo!