Working in the US

Started by q1we3
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

q1we3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be going to one of the US optometry school and wanted to do a residency/work in the US after graduating. Since, I am Canadian do you think it would be hard for me match or find work because my employer would have to apply for my work visa? I was hoping if I could find a job I could apply for a green card and open own practice down the road.......or I could marry an American girl and bypass this whole issue. lmao
 
I will be going to one of the US optometry school and wanted to do a residency/work in the US after graduating. Since, I am Canadian do you think it would be hard for me match or find work because my employer would have to apply for my work visa? I was hoping if I could find a job I could apply for a green card and open own practice down the road.......or I could marry an American girl and bypass this whole issue. lmao

Let me start out by saying that by far and away the simplest and cheapest thing to do is to marry an American.

That being said, as far as residency or employment goes you can extend your student visa for one year under a clause called "optional practical training." This essentially gives you a one year extension of your student visa AND it allows you to work.

Once that year is done though, you have no options unless you're married or you can find a work sponsor which is almost for sure going to have to be a large institution or an industry. Most private or commercial employers aren't going to be interested in dealing with the paperwork hassle and the expense.
 
Let me start out by saying that by far and away the simplest and cheapest thing to do is to marry an American.

That being said, as far as residency or employment goes you can extend your student visa for one year under a clause called "optional practical training." This essentially gives you a one year extension of your student visa AND it allows you to work.

Once that year is done though, you have no options unless you're married or you can find a work sponsor which is almost for sure going to have to be a large institution or an industry. Most private or commercial employers aren't going to be interested in dealing with the paperwork hassle and the expense.

Thanks! Glad to hear that at least I can do a residency under my student visa.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad