Working on getting into Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucky11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if going to the interview pregnant will have a negative effect on getting admitted into Pharm school? Thanks :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm. I'm sure it will generate lots of questions. I can't imagine it being beneficial due to the potential for doubts about commitment, etc. But do you have a choice? ;)

hmmm i hope they do not discriminate you because of it. but i see the point of them seeing as a commitment problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it will probably depend on your interviewer. For example the dean at my school was very cooperative when I told her I needed a deferment for the same reason but then I did not go to my interview pregnant.
The commitment issues others have said before me might be a factor though but give it your best shot. You never know, support and encourangement comes from the most unexpected places sometimes. They might see it as a +ve thing too. Like your willingness to put your self through a demanding program despite having a child.
Good luck!

I guess it would depend on the interviewer, but I see it as a positive. I think that taking the step to attend pharmacy school, even though you will have a new born, in an effort to make things better for you and your child is admirable. I remember in gen chem, a young lady got permission from the professor, and some days as a last resort I guess, she would bring her newborn to class with her....feeding the baby while taking notes. I truly admired her dedication.

kwakster928 said:
hmmm i hope they do not discriminate you because of it.
If they do, you can and should sue them.

As long as you can show the interviewers that you're dedicated to pharmacy and you're not going to drop out after a year, I think you'll be fine. If they ask, maybe say something like, "I'm committed to doing this because I want to set a good example/give a better life to my child."

Good luck! :luck:

Modnar said:
If they do, you can and should sue them.

As long as you can show the interviewers that you're dedicated to pharmacy and you're not going to drop out after a year, I think you'll be fine. If they ask, maybe say something like, "I'm committed to doing this because I want to set a good example/give a better life to my child."

Good luck! :luck:

you should be wired for the interview so you can collect evidence incase it comes to discrimation line..

lucky11 said:
Does anyone know if going to the interview pregnant will have a negative effect on getting admitted into Pharm school? Thanks :oops:

One of my classmates gave birth about a month before the start of school....so I'm assuming she looked pregnant for the interview.

One of my classmates interviewed while 7 months pregnant.

If the committee asks you how being a new mom will affect your academics, make sure you can show them you have thought things through and are ready to make everything work. If you have a significant other, mention that they are there to support you and help ensure that you get the study time you need, especially around exams. You should also think about your childcare options and be able to answer those questions should they arise. The admissions comittee really needs to know that you are aware of the challenges and ready to face them.

One of the above posts infers that you might be able to bring a child to class. This probably not an option and I would not mention anything like this at the interview. You might investigate and be ready to mention on campus child care at schools who offer it. Showing an adcom that their campus is attractive to your needs might give you that extra something to show them that you really want to go to THEIR school over others.

Thank you all for your imput. It really helps. :)

illusions said:
I remember in gen chem, a young lady got permission from the professor, and some days as a last resort I guess, she would bring her newborn to class with her....feeding the baby while taking notes. I truly admired her dedication.

Did that not bother people??....A girl in my bio class once brought her kid to class, it was cute and everything but it still annoyed everyone that we had to practically miss half the lecture because of the noise. (I pretended not to be annoyed because she was my friend, but it's hard not to be)

bananaface said:
One of the above posts infers that you might be able to bring a child to class. This probably not an option and I would not mention anything like this at the interview.

Sorry, wrong assumption. I was not trying to infer that you would be able to bring your child to class and I wouldn't suggest mentioning anything like that during an interview either. I was simply citing an experience to support my claim that if you are dedicated and present that during the interview it shouldn't be a problem.

laura_mideon said:
Did that not bother people??....A girl in my bio class once brought her kid to class, it was cute and everything but it still annoyed everyone that we had to practically miss half the lecture because of the noise. (I pretended not to be annoyed because she was my friend, but it's hard not to be)

Actually it really didn't. The baby never really made noise and on occasions when he/she did, the lady would leave class. She only did it like 3 or 4 times so it wasn't a habit.

I doubt interviewers would see it as a negative thing at all. It most likely will actually stimulate conversation and help them to remember who you are when the day is done and did with and they review who they saw.

Only real heartless SOB's (who put children AFTER career on the "most important in life" list) ever think of having children as a minus. Knowing that you will have another life to be responsible to will make you seem more responsible than most of the "party-going" type college grads that will make up the rest of the pharmacy crowd. To them, you'll have the potential to be more grounded, and know what/why you're in pharmacy school--kinda like the effect of someone who worked a few years w/ a pharma or biotech company going back to school w/ more focus than someone straight out of undergrad...I think these type may even be preferred over the rest of qualified applicants....look at the average ages of who the schools accept and not too many are younger than college graduates (hence why most accepted people in competitive schools have degrees prior to enrollment--they're more likely to graduate from their program). Hope this helps, keep your head strong!! I'm expecting the pitter-patter of a little baby girl's feet this fall :love:

Good Luck! :thumbup: