working on saturdays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not that i am doing it as a resume builder or anything, but i have worked each and every saturday from 9-5 during my entire med school career (i am now half-way through my m2 year). When it comes to residencies, will this help any? if so, how should i go about making sure people know that i worked?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry pre-doc but I don't have an answer for you. I just wanted to ask you what do you on saturdays? I was just curious, as I'd like to work on Saturdays during med school, but I'm not sure if it would be manageable. When do you study?

I can't help either, I too was curious about how you pull this off. If you do not mind, where do you attend med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish i could say i worked in some big research lab or something, but this is not the case. I work at a tobacconist's shop in Chicago. I know, not the best place for a medical student to work, i realize that!! i just have a strange knowledge of cigars and pipes!! don't know why, i just do. i mean, the job isn't hard, but it does take some time away from studying. i kind of am torn because my job obviously involves selling tobacco but with each customer i almost feel it my duty to warn them. heh.

Not sure how it will help in obtaining a residency, unless you are "using" it as an excuse for less than stellar grades. Extracurriculars are great, especially if they somehow enhance your application or knowledge in your field of interest - I suppose one could say that having a non-medically related job makes you a more well-rounded candidate but I'm not convinced that it will significantly help your residency application.

do you find working on the weekend and classes managable in med school? i currently work as a PT aide at a major hospital a couple times a month on the weekend and haven't had a problem in my graduate studies in PT. if i get in to med school i would love to work as a PT since i will have the degree and could make some decent money working per diem.

is this feasible?

Due to my religious beliefs I don't do work at all from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday and I've done that throughout college and med school school so far (I'm a 2nd year), and my grades are certainly no worse than anyone else's, and in alot of cases, better. All of which is to say that you can definitely not study every day of the week and still do well in med school.

For PTJay

I think you can definitely work some during med school. It's just a matter of budgeting your time and organizing your schedule. I worked every weekday for a couple of hours in the afternoon. It was great for me because I made some mad extra $$$, and it was during a time I knew that I wouldn't study (post lunch coma time). Can you work full time? I doubt it, but who knows?!?

I don't wanna be the bearer of bad news here, but during your M3 and M4 years, you'll probably not be able to continue to work. I have had to be at the hospital all Saturdays and some Sundays on most rotations. When you are in house 80-90 hours per week (still about 30 hours less than an intern), I think working (at least for me) would be out of the question. :(

But to answer your question, you can work your job into your personal statement or your CV. Will it really help? Ummm...I dunno. It probably won't hurt!