Working out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killingbill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here go to the gym before a long shift? Is running or biking followed by a 12 hour shift standing on your feet too much strain?

I feel that being a pharmacist has screwed up my body so much and I'm trying to make some changes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Cardio doesn't do it for me. I only hit the rack 3x/week before or after shift, high intensity work out, so my heart is keep pumping non-stop 30-45 mins to an hour max. I notice I am more toned, in a better shape than just doing boring cardio. Another plus is I also can eat whatever I want now because the muscle gained gives constant burn of calories. It keeps my weight stable.

Reactions: 1 user
My schedule is basically working every other day, so I go to the gym on my off days. I'd be too tired to do it after a long day of work, and I wouldn't have the time to wake up extra early and do it before hand. It's nice to be able to hit the gym somewhere in the 10am-2pm window, because there's hardly anybody there, and you can have a nice big post-workout lunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do Crossfit. Since I work 3pm-11pm, on my days that I work, I like to go workout at 1PM, workout is over by 2PM, shower and dress up and head over to the hospital. On my days off I'll go whenever. If the gym isn't open at 1PM that day, I'll just go to the 6AM class. I'm usually up until 4-5AM anyway so I'll just stay up another few hours, go to sleep after I come back and then I wake up around 230PM and head over to the hospital.

If you work nights, you can work out in the morning. It's great.

Does anyone here go to the gym before a long shift? Is running or biking followed by a 12 hour shift standing on your feet too much strain?

I feel that being a pharmacist has screwed up my body so much and I'm trying to make some changes.

I got a membership to anytime fitness. On my off weeks, I try to go 5 times...my on week, I try to go once. Its not optimal, but what are you going to do? Its better than most people, anyway...

I go to Crossfit but if my schedule and the gym's schedule don't work out I will run or do a substitute WOD at home.
I prefer to go to Crossfit before work if I have a choice b/c after I'm just not as motivated.

I run a lot and it works out pretty good with my retail schedule (3 or 4 13 hour days/week) Usually I do my longer runs (10+ miles) on my days I'm off . Days I'm working I try to get out the door by 5:30 am to get in 7-10 miles and be back by 7am to get in the shower and washed up before getting to work at 8am. It's a little rough when it is cold and dark out but it helps I meet my equally stupid friends and we run together. If I wait till I get home to run I casually just veg out on the couch and skip my workout.

Don't much in the way of lifting so I don't need a gym or anything. Just basic body weight stuff pushups, lunges and the like

Yay, another crossfitter!! What's your favorite WOD?
Annie was the 1st WOD I Rx'd. She is my favorite. :) My 2nd favorite probably b/c it was my 1st WOD ever is Nancy.
I thought I was going to die when I met Fran. I don't know what it is about thrusters and pull ups together - but she is sick!

Annie was the 1st WOD I Rx'd. She is my favorite. :) My 2nd favorite probably b/c it was my 1st WOD ever is Nancy.
I thought I was going to die when I met Fran. I don't know what it is about thrusters and pull ups together - but she is sick!

I love Fran.

I hate WODs that involve excessive cardio like running or long distance rowing or more than 5 burpees in a round. God damn I hate burpees. I almost walked out when I walked into Crossfit one day and saw that the WOD was 100 burpees.

Haha! Yeah, everyone hates burpees.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Annie is my favorite! Love slaying some DUs!

I also CrossFit. I love that I don't have to think about what I'm going to workout, just pick what days I want to workout and show up. The WOD is there, I have a coach telling me when I'm doing something wrong, and its an encouraging environment.

I work 10-hr shifts, and typically workout right after I leave work. If I'm off I'll go at 7am or 9:30 (if I want to sleep in).

I mostly swim and run.

On most weekdays, except when early meetings are scheduled, I usually get in the pool by 6:15AM, swim laps for 45 min-1 hour, and get to work by 8AM.

On most days when I get home by 6PM, I do 30-min circuit trainings 2-3 times a week, alternating with running 2-3 times a week (~5k each).
On the days when I don't get home until 8-9PM, I tend to head straight to the kitchen for dindin and veg out. :oops:

I also CrossFit. I love that I don't have to think about what I'm going to workout, just pick what days I want to workout and show up. The WOD is there, I have a coach telling me when I'm doing something wrong, and its an encouraging environment.

I work 10-hr shifts, and typically workout right after I leave work. If I'm off I'll go at 7am or 9:30 (if I want to sleep in).

Yeah, our place started this thing where they post the WOD on the website around 10PM the night before. It's good and bad because you can now pick and choose whether or not you're gonna show up because of the WOD.

Hell, burpees I'll do. I just hate it when they have the 200m or 400 m runs as part of the workout. I lost 35 lbs and still once I get past 100m I have to walk the rest of the distance because I just don't have the energy to keep running.

Today's workout was a ****ing killer and I hated it.

Part A -

5 min double unders - Every time you break the set, you have to do 5 tuck jumps. I don't have the coordination for double unders so I did like 200 tuck jumps.

Part B -

150 Pushups for time - Every time you break the set, you must run 200 meters. I ended up running 2km.

Part C -

EMOM for 6 minutes

15 kettlebell stiff legged deadlifts (53 lb kettlebell in each hand)
15 air squats

Light workout beforehand is great but I would switch to an 8 hour shift

Yeah less days off and more annoying girls but better for health in long run. Unless you're able to eat and use the restroom regularly at the aforesaid 12 hour shift company'

And I'm one who can go an extraordinarily long time without food or sleep

Last edited: