Working Urgent Care after Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mo_$$_Mo_Debt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve always heard that it is possible to work at an urgent care as long as you have completed your intern year of residency. Does anyone know if this is actually true? Has anyone ever actually done this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’ve always heard that it is possible to work at an urgent care as long as you have completed your intern year of residency. Does anyone know of this is actually true? Has anyone ever actually done this?
It could be true...depends on the person, the state and the practice environment.

And yes, plenty of people have done it. But that "plenty" is a tiny fraction of the people who have finished a residency and then gone on to work in UC after completing residency...or who moonlighted in a UC during residency.

Pro-tip for others (and the OP)...if the question is "has anyone ever....?" and the ... isn't something like "survived naked for a year on the surface of Mars", the answer is probably yes. How relevant that is to you is debatable.

Reactions: 1 user
It could be true...depends on the person, the state and the practice environment.

And yes, plenty of people have done it. But that "plenty" is a tiny fraction of the people who have finished a residency and then gone on to work in UC after completing residency...or who moonlighted in a UC during residency.

Pro-tip for others (and the OP)...if the question is "has anyone ever....?" and the ... isn't something like "survived naked for a year on the surface of Mars", the answer is probably yes. How relevant that is to you is debatable.

But do you actually know someone who’s done that or done it yourself?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes...no...in that order

clearly you're not paying attention

Trust me, I am paying attention. There is a difference between saying “could be true” and “plenty of people have done it” vs saying something like “I personally know plenty of people that made that choice and this is how it went for them.”

My original post didn’t do a good job of clarifying exactly how specific of an answer I was looking for, so let me be clear now. I am seeking examples of people who made a career out of working for an Urgent Care after only completing intern year. If you have stories to share on the topic, thank you in advance for helping me to sort out the facts from the fiction regarding this frequently mentioned but rarely discussed topic.

Trust me, I am paying attention. There is a difference between saying “could be true” and “plenty of people have done it” vs saying something like “I personally know plenty of people that made that choice and this is how it went for them.”

My original post didn’t do a good job of clarifying exactly how specific of an answer I was looking for, so let me be clear now. I am seeking examples of people who made a career out of working for an Urgent Care after only completing intern year. If you have stories to share on the topic, thank you in advance for helping me to sort out the facts from the fiction regarding this frequently mentioned but rarely discussed topic.
Someone else just asked this. Unlikely to happen. Not enough knowledge from just internship, most places want BE/BC. Maybeeeee some super rural place that is desperate in middle of nowhere otherwise unlikely. No I have not done it nor do I know someone who has

Most states will give an American medical grad a medical license after one year of internship. The same medical license they give to people that are BC/BE.

Several of the FM residents where I did residency covered small EDs and urgent cares while residents. I'm not sure what their requirements were, as I was not allowed to moonlight.

You could open up your own shop. Or work in a place that doesn't require it. Truthfully, 99% of people are better off completing a residency in something. You will be more marketable and make more money. The vast majority of jobs where you practice some actual medicine require you to be BE/BC in something.

There are people who have worked at urgent-care type practices with "state minimum" training (e.g, just an internship). Most of these graduated decades ago and are really not a relevant comparison. You will have a hard time of finding examples for recent graduates. Almost every place that might be an option would prefer to hire an NP/PA for several different reasons. It is a bit like asking for examples of people who graduated with a B.A. in elementary education and are now making $500K a year.

Reactions: 2 users
Awesome, thank you everyone for all the good responses. It’s something I’ve heard a lot about but never actually seen. Sounds like it isn’t really much of a thing these days and more of an old wives tale.

I don't think it would be difficult to find such a gig in south FL as I know 2 GP physicians who are doing that. They probably will low ball you (i.e. 65-75$/hr) since you did not complete a residency.

Another thing you can do is to work for a county health department, Indian Health Service or prison system. I have a friend who was working for Indian Health Service and now working for the prison system with 1 yr internship and he is doing quite well (215k/yr + full benefits).

Last edited:
I’ve always heard that it is possible to work at an urgent care as long as you have completed your intern year of residency. Does anyone know if this is actually true? Has anyone ever actually done this?

I started moonlighting after intern year at the urgent care. $100-125/hour. Most of the residents at our program did. You learn more acute issues that way and break from chronic disease management monotony. Sick people do show up in urgent care so be careful; don't be shy about calling the ED about transferring the patient (POV or ambulance). It's good way to supplement training.

Minor Emergencies: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0323079091/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_tkWrCbDRJHEMC

Reactions: 1 user

With just an internship? Unlikely. Not this day and age. In the past? Maybe. Maybe in one of these "remote" desperate places, perhaps. But I would imagine that credentialing, insurance would be a problem too.
Unless absolutely impossible, makes sense to try to finish residency.
Also I think working in urgent care without completing a residency is risky business. You don't know what you don't know.