Working Vs. GPR/AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colombiaman94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have been looking for statistics everywhere at the % of dental grads that join the workforce vs those that do GPRs/ AEGDs. Can anyone shed any light on potential numbers?
Is it really worth it to go through a residency and take out more loans?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe it really depends on how clinically-ready you feel after you graduate--that is to say that some schools tend to focus more on the clinical aspect of dentistry in order to ready their students for private practice/group practice/etc. When my father graduated dental school, he went straight into the workforce and has managed to do just fine. He always credits his skills to his alma mater.

You don't know what you don't know. Some advanced training programs will help you figure this out. Private practice means it is all on you. Depends on your mind set I guess.

I think now a days it really depends if you want to do a residency or not. I personally choose to do a AEGD because one of my mentors before dental school recommended I do one. I got lucky because my program was very into teaching us how to use new tech like CEREC, CBCT, etc. Now I know the process of making surgical guides for implants via cad/cam. Now does that translate into private practice?? I haven't found any places that has a CBCT in the office, but there are a good amount out there with cerec.

On the other side of things, if you go straight into private practice, make sure the owner is willing to mentor you. You only know so much coming out of dental school so you need someone to guide you for a little bit before you come into your own. If the owner is not willing to help you out and want to just throw you into the fire, its going to be rough.

just my opinion so to the people reading this, please dont get fired up about it if you dont agree

Reactions: 2 users